Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i think i want a bmx

• 06-10-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

with the ratoath track only about 20 minutes away from me, I'm going to try to relive my youth by getting a bmx. Are there any bmx bikes that are suitable for an adult, and what would the budget be?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I live in Ratoath myself and my kids are going to join. I've a funny feeling when I bring them down I'll probably want to have a go also.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's an Olympic sport so there are bound to be plenty of adult options. Presumably Ratoath will have hire bikes you will be able to try out before committing to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I used to ride the 26" wheel version of this with mtb risers :

sunn_pri_al_480_vue_arrire_blowup.jpg

Any 26" cruiser would do, I mean proper bmx cruiser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The vast majority of BMXes are adult bikes, they don't really come in sizes for teenagers and adults. Any 20" BMX is considered full-size. Entry-level decent BMX starts at €300.

Just be wary of the types of BMX. They come in all sorts of flavours. Flatland BMXes are primarily used for doing fancy stuff, arguably the hardset and most beautiful discipline. But the bikes are heavier, come with more junk and generally have a shorter wheelbase.
    Dirt Jumping BMXes tend to have a longer wheelbase and are designed for lightness, more than toughness.

A freestyle BMX is the all-rounder. Average-length wheelbase, pegs for grinding and light enough for throwing around the place. Probably the best to buy if you're not trying to get into anything specific.

The bikes are generally bombproof, but that doesn't really matter because servicing them and replacing parts is a doddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just use your road bike! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

id actually love a bmx as well :D fairly inexpensive when you compare them to other bikes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

lennymc wrote: »

I bought one of them for about €200 last year. My kid uses it all the time now. I told him I'll bring him down to the Magazine Fort in the Phoenix Park and let him cycle up and down the hills there. I used to do it all the time as a kid.....oooh the memories.

I had that model when I was about 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Adults trying to relive their BMX years - what could possibly go wrong?????

If you break your leg just don't come running to me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I have a Haro F2 that I bought a few years ago that I'll be bringing over and got a second hand TR2.2 for my son. His one is more suited, no gyro and back brake only.

If you're going to buy one of the OTPs bear in mind that the majority now have a crazy small front chainring. and they'll be a pain for racing (AFAIK). There's plenty around on the second-hand market or if you join Ratoath they have discounts with some stores (one of which is in Kilkenny, which I think is run by a BMXer).

Don't forget full face helmet too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

These are solid BMX's.

From my days in skate parks, every one recommends them to beginners and for advanced stuff.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Adults trying to relive their BMX years - what could possibly go wrong?????

If you break your leg just don't come running to me......

I went to the Phoenix Park on Saturday & Sunday with my kids. I brought the 7 year old on Sunday. His bike handling skills aren't the best he went down a short but steep hill after I told him not to. I had to jump off my bike and grab him as he went down, he was just about to ge head-over-heels but fair play to him though for having the balls to give it a go. I brought him down to Magazine Fort and showed him how to go down the hills properly.

They both really enjoyed it and want to do it more often and yes it was great fun!

Advertisement