Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C compiler for windows 7 62-bit

Options
  • 06-10-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi, what compiler should I use for the above? I've tried Bloodshed C/C++ and Eclipse. For some reason wouldnt work for me.

Any quick suggestions?

64 bit sorry :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

They are IDEs, not compilers. They take care of managing projects and building applications via a GUI.

For a x64 Windows version of GCC, try
    http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/

For a nice, free IDE that does C++ and I suppose C, try Code::Blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Tomas_S

They are IDEs, not compilers. They take care of managing projects and building applications via a GUI.

For a x64 Windows version of GCC, try
    http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/

For a nice, free IDE that does C++ and I suppose C, try Code::Blocks

So I've downloaded mingw-w64. I thought I had to install it but didnt find anything like that.
    But Bloodshed is working fine now! Hows that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Visual Studio is what you want. This is the industry standard for developing c/c++/c# on windows. Don't bother with those other IDEs...

Visual Studio express = free version, should work for most basic stuff.
    If you are a student reg on www.dreamspeak.com and get VS pro.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Visual Studio is what you want. This is the industry standard for developing c/c++/c# on windows. Don't bother with those other IDEs...

Visual Studio express = free version, should work for most basic stuff.
    If you are a student reg on www.dreamspeak.com and get VS pro.

I'll give it a go ;) thanks for the info!

Sorry, that link should have been www.dreamspark.com. /smacks self

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Tomas_S wrote: »
    But Bloodshed is working fine now! Hows that?

Because you just had a GUI installed and not an actual compiler. After you installed MinGW, bloodshed then had a compiler to work with...

Because you just had a GUI installed and not an actual compiler. After you installed MinGW, bloodshed then had a compiler to work with...

But thats the thing, I didnt install it only downloaded it. Its working fine Im just curious because later Ive discovered that I had that compiler long time and forgotten about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

You should look at Code::Blocks.

No you shouldn't. Those other IDEs were a good thing in the past when there was no free version of Visual Studio. There isn't much point in recommending them now tho. Are you claiming that code::blocks compares to visual studio in feature set? Employers looks for people that know how to use VS, not other IDEs (talking about windows here remember).

If I was gonna use anything other than Visual Studio I would use Eclipse, it has become decent for c++ in recent years.

If you hate microsoft so much and refuse to use their tools what the hell are you using windows for? :D

No you shouldn't. Those other IDEs were a good thing in the past when there was no free version of Visual Studio. There isn't much point in recommending them now tho. Are you claiming that code::blocks compares to visual studio in feature set? Employers looks for people that know how to use VS, not other IDEs (talking about windows here remember).

If I was gonna use anything other than Visual Studio I would use Eclipse, it has become decent for c++ in recent years.

If you hate microsoft so much and refuse to use their tools what the hell are you using windows for? :D

Where did anybody say they hated Microsoft? By all means use Visual Studio but its no harm to be familiar with other environments. What if the OP was required to trow something together for a Mac or Linux or something? Employers want flexibility in a coder.

• Advertisement

Where did anybody say they hated Microsoft? By all means use Visual Studio but its no harm to be familiar with other environments. What if the OP was required to trow something together for a Mac or Linux or something? Employers want flexibility in a coder.

I did say eclipse. Those other IDEs are ****e. Are you a professional developer? (c++)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

On Windows, use Visual Studio. On Mac, use Xcode. Dunno about linux, maybe eclipse?

I'll get a visual studio then guys. It's only for college and i'm doing C at the moment.
    Thanks for all replies:)

I did say eclipse. Those other IDEs are ****e. Are you a professional developer? (c++)

Guilty as charged! There are many dev's out there who think VS is ****e. Its all a matter of opinion, it is more helpful to the OP to give a wide choice and let him/her make up their own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

And that is your opinion. Others are entitled to their opinion too.

There are plenty of IDE's out there for this exact task, most of the best have already been listed so let the OP choose which he prefers best.

Sure OP is free to pick a terrible IDE. Meanwhile everyone else coding on windows uses visual studio. Oh yeah, everyone moans about visual studio ofc, but there really is no proper alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Herb Stutter is one of the lead developers and also someone with a lot of influence within C++.

Using GCC on Windows is in a pain the bollocks as well. There is no other sensible choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Meanwhile everyone else coding on windows uses visual studio.
    No they don't.

Advertisement