Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Cost Office Space for Garden

• 06-10-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Would anyone here have any insight into how I could get a bit of extra space round the back of my house on the cheap? I live in a detached city house with a back garden.

I would appreciate people's thoughts on this.

Space is at a premium in my house cause I have rooms rented out and I could really do with somewhere clean and dry to store my music equipment (currently stacked up to the roof in my sitting room!).

I have a wooden shed already but my stuff would get wrecked in there - and a full-on extension is waaaay out of my league - price wise.

Is this idea common? Do many people do it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A log cabin or a portacabin would be the best, the portacbin would be the cheapest to buy, but the cost of transpoprt and siteing it may be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

That would be ideal alright except I couldn't get it round the back of me gaf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Sky King
    With the building industry in bad shape at the moment, you should be able to pick up a porta cabin at a good rate ( Ex site cabin ) Try googling you may come across something. If you got it handy you could crane it into your back garden ???? just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dhmilton

Another option would be to fix up the shed with a bit of insulation and some cladding.
    Music equipment will obviously not want to be exposed to extreme temperatures in either direction, so if your shed is anything like mine you should be able to put slabs of insulation between the uprights and rafters, and then pin some wooden cladding on to hold it there and give a decent finish.
    The nicest option would be something like a shomera, but they don't come cheap.

Thanks for the replys guys,

North West a portacabin would be ideal... or maybe an insulated shipping container... except there is no way I would get it around the back of my house

dhmilton that seems like a feasable option alright... probably the most realistic I have at the moment.

You are right about the extremes in temp, but DAMP is a big factor too as the speakers have paper cones and the other stuff will start rusting and going faulty... also I would need double glazed windows (probably) and a decent sealed door. Not an easy task.

Never heard of a Shomera so I googled it. Pretty slick! Their stuff is lovely. And yes, I don't have that kind of fundage to wax on my house... and if I did I would probably spend it on more music gear - eejit that I am :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Sky King wrote: »
    You are right about the extremes in temp, but DAMP is a big factor too as the speakers have paper cones and the other stuff will start rusting and going faulty... also I would need double glazed windows (probably) and a decent sealed door. Not an easy task.

In my experience garden sheds are just that, storage spaces for garage equipment, not delicate music equipment or electronics of any kind.
    If you are going to go ahead with it then make sure that there is a proper heating and ventilation system installed otherwise you will regret putting your equipment out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hey,just thinking of doing somethin similar with my own shed,any ideas where the best place to get these insulation slabs?sorry for the hijack:pac:

I work in a company that makes them funnily enough. For refrigeration though. I can't think of a practical way to convert a shed using them though. And a sealed door is important too, though maybe a fridge door would work for that as well.

Anyway I need my shed for lawnmower, dryer, bike, chest freezer - so it's not really an option for me.

Advertisement