Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about '[COMPETITION] Win a Premium Electronic Cigarette kit from Smoke Green

Options
  • 06-10-2011 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Went on the website for details of competition but there was none. So how is the winner going to be chosen really? More transparency would be appreciated.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mcguffin

I was told that adverts.ie didn't allow to have e-cigarettes companies advertising in their site... and now are advertising/promoting an e-cig competition?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I was told that adverts.ie didn't allow to have e-cigarettes companies advertising in their site...
    Something you heard or did you get this from adverts.ie and was their an explanation?

@Ktalla
    2) The winner will be chosen at random on Friday October 7th.
    Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mcguffin

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Something you heard or did you get this from adverts.ie and was their an explanation?

See email thread

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 11:55:07 +0000
    To: sales@***********
    Subject: Re: Permision to advertise in your site

Hi Alberto,

I just had a thorough look through your website and another problem we'd
    have with you advertising the products is that they're 18+ items. We can't
    control our users/buyers on the site and so selling items with an age
    restriction is prohibited.

Sorry for all the confusion, i wish we could help!

Regards,

On 9 February 2011 11:43, ********* <****@adverts.ie> wrote:

> Not to worry Alberto. Could you please send me a link to the product you
    > want to advertise and i can check it out.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > *********
    >
    >
    > On 9 February 2011 11:34, ***********
    <*************>wrote:
    >
    >> Hi *****,
    >>
    >> Excuse my ignorance of the rules.
    >>
    >> Could I advertise my products as personal vaporizers (Nicotine Free)?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >>
    >> From: *********@adverts.ie
    >> Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 10:22:08 +0000
    >> To: ************
    >> Subject: Re: Permision to advertise in your site
    >>
    >>
    >> Hi Alberto,
    >>
    >> You're account has been flagged by management due to the ads you placed
    on
    >> the site. We do not allow cigarettes/cigarette replacement products to be
    >> sold on the site.
    >>
    >> These ads have now been removed.
    >>
    >> Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    >>
    >> Kind regards,

Seems that even they are not advertising e-cigs they can support a Vaping website/promotion.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't find this fair.

Another thing is that I was told that was not allowed to advertise directly e-cig shops in the forum...well maybe the rules have changed.

In this case will be fair to open a vendor section in this forum.

Vape well,
    Alberto.

Edit: Well is not that they are advertising the website/promotion in "Adverts.ie" but the post in the forum came from a high representative of "Boards/Adverts.ie". You are free of think and get your personal opinion.
    Vape well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ktala

tommy2bad wrote: »
    @Ktalla
    2) The winner will be chosen at random on Friday October 7th.
    Make of that what you will.

To be honest, I don't know what to make of it. That's why I was hoping for more
    clarification.

• Advertisement

Its the way, smoking has such a bad rep and ecigs are in a gray area as far as uninformed peeps are concerned.
    Shame really as they do what they claim to do for most people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I've moved this to feedback as I think it's not a question the mods of the Vaping forum can answer. It's in reference to the competition advertised here.

I would also have misgivings about having competitions in this area at all simply because there are some seriously inferior products out there and it's the difference between a smoker switching to vaping and not switching. Something I don't consider trivial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Has anyone contacted adverts.ie about this?

Link to the ad and I'll take a look.. otherwise email the office at support@adverts.ie and they'll respond. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

ktala wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't know what to make of it. That's why I was hoping for more
    clarification.

What it generally means is that Dav uses randomizer.com (or some such site) to generate a random number and that post wins the prize. It's as transparent as you're going to get from a free competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mewso wrote: »
    It's in reference to the competition advertised here.

how do you prove age in the case of that comp, or can kids "smoke" these too?
    No disclaimer about age in the rules Dav posted either...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ktala,
    This is something that Dav in Boards HQ Office organised.
    Therefore, I believe only he can answer your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The winner's are chosen randomly - I got to www.random.org, enter in the numbers of posts on the "True Random Number Generator" they have on the right hand side of the page (so typically "2" and the final number of the postcount as it's inclusive and 1 is the post I've made talking about the competition - I do check for duplicates and factor that into the numbers), I click the Generate button and whatever the result I'm given is the winning post number. That's how we've been doing it for some time, I don't recall anyone else asking about it before, so it's entirely possible that the details of how a winner's picked haven't been posted before, so I hope this clears it up.

mcguffin: Adverts.ie and Boards.ie are two different sites run by two different companies (granted, we are all under the Distilled Media umbrella) and with two different sets of rules. I haven't been involved with any of the decision making for Adverts since it became it's own company, so you'll have to talk to them about this issue I'm afraid - Eddie or Claire should be able to help you out on their support forum.

Cookie Monster: You're correct, the Ts & Cs didn't specifically state over 18's only - that was a slip up. In our defence, the thought of this being something a minor would want never even occurred to us - an honest mistake, but something I'm going to be a lot more careful of in future.

Advertisement