Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch and Play with UCD American Football

Options
  • 06-10-2011 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭

For those interested in American football and missed us at the Sports Expo UCD American Football is again recruiting for the 2011/2012 season.

We practice every Sunday from 1-4 on the Thornfield pitches. If interest come along and give it a go. Just need boots and sportswear that you would wear for any sport to start.

Also you a fan of the NFL? Come join UCD American Football in the Student Bar from 6 - 12 to watch the NFL. Pitchers of beer only €10. Everyone welcome.

For any more details email us ucdsentinels@gmail.com or pm me for contact details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

unbtg.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Sounds good :) I`ll be there ! Sick of watching streams in my room !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

any chance of training being midweek because sunday mornings are fairly awkward for a lot of people

any chance of training being midweek because sunday mornings are fairly awkward for a lot of people

We don't train Sunday mornings though. We train at 1pm:confused:

But for now it will be Sunday 1pm to 4pm and will most likely stay that way. The majority on the team prefer Sundays and we have had 35+ at our last 2 practices.

The problem we had with midweeks is that there are so many sports clubs in the college we couldn't get anymore than an hour or 2 hour sessions. For the last 3 years we went with 4-6 on a Wednesday and to be honest far too many guys had classes at 4pm.

Our schedule this year is 1-2 midweek playbook session in a classroom and then 3-4 hour practice on a Sunday. And to note all our games are played on Sundays around the same time. And some are long away games which require early starts in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭niall1811

Ah here, its a sport that's played on a sunday morning, all matches are on sunday mornings (though 1pm is technically not morning) if you cant drag yourself out of bed for 1pm on a sunday even after a saturday night out then its not the sport for you. The croquet team trains on a thursday evening i think, give them a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

niall1811 wrote: »
    Ah here, its a sport that's played on a sunday morning, all matches are on sunday mornings (though 1pm is technically not morning) if you cant drag yourself out of bed for 1pm on a sunday even after a saturday night out then its not the sport for you. The croquet team trains on a thursday evening i think, give them a shout.

good logic there, assuming i'm from dublin. i live half way across the country as do plenty of other people and go home on fridays where i have other sporting commitments and i'm not getting up at 6 on a Sunday to get a 3 and a half hour bus in to dublin so i can make training at 1.

good logic there, assuming i'm from dublin. i live half way across the country as do plenty of other people and go home on fridays where i have other sporting commitments and i'm not getting up at 6 on a Sunday to get a 3 and a half hour bus in to dublin so i can make training at 1.

Unfortunately we cannot accommodate everyone. We have plenty of non Dubs who train and play every 2nd Sunday and make sure they make games also. As the Head Coach I would love to be able to accommodate everyone's schedule but it just isn't possible when we require such a large roster and are battling for slots with other sports especially the bigger 3 in Rugby, GAA and Football.

My one concern though with you and other guys who just can't commit to any Sunday is would you ever be able to make games anyways considering all our games are played on Sundays. They have 1pm or 2pm kick offs and when we play away we could be getting up early to head to Cork or Limerick or Craigavon or Belfast or Carrickfergus etc etc.

If we do manage to get a practice midweek I will keep you updated but for now it will be 1pm every Sunday and playbook sessions will start soon also most likely every Tuesday night.

Niall1811 lives in Longford by the way and comes to practice after working the night before and he isn't alone we have a few others who also commute back to college early to practice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Hey TO any idea which games will be shown in the student bar tomorrow ?

Hey TO any idea which games will be shown in the student bar tomorrow ?

The games Sky are showing as far as I know. Jet/Pats is the 9pm game and Eagles/Bills at 6pm.

If I make it myself come over and say hello I will be wearing my 62 Pats jersey most likely. If im not there talk to Eoin Cunningham or Dave Murphy and let them know you would like to play but your situation doesn't suit. I know we are trying to still get something midweek.

UCD American Football still recruiting for the 2012 Season. Practice on Sundays at 1pm beside the Thornfield pitches.

Friendly coming up on December 3rd with Trinity College. Location TBC.

Also Student bar open again this Sunday for the NFL games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

What positions on the team are you looking to fill?

Will wrote: »
    What positions on the team are you looking to fill?

All positions are open at the moment as we are only a few weeks in and still in pre-season. Still plenty of time for competition and spot earning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Do you have to be attending ucd to play? I work full time but would like to play. What's the standard? I've only played with mates never competitively. So I'd need some time to catch on and get in shape

neddynono wrote: »
    Do you have to be attending ucd to play? I work full time but would like to play. What's the standard? I've only played with mates never competitively. So I'd need some time to catch on and get in shape

Students and alumni and staff of UCD only im afraid. There is other teams in the IAFL.

www.americanfootball.ie

Only ourselves and Trinity are Students only but there is these teams:

Dublin Dragons : Train and Play in Lucan
    Dublin Rhinos: Play and train in Castleknock
    Dublin Rebels: Train in Booterstown but play in Santry

PM me if you require more info on how to contact those teams. Every Team has different levels also but this time of year is pre-season and most teams go back to basics for their rookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Thanks for the link. I'm based in Wicklow so I'll do some digging to see who is closest to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Hey TO, im interested in coming down. Not exactly the biggest or fittest guy but played rugby in school for a few years. worth the while coming down for a training session? really interested in getting back into playing sports, and AF is a big passion of mine

kev_s88 wrote: »
    Hey TO, im interested in coming down. Not exactly the biggest or fittest guy but played rugby in school for a few years. worth the while coming down for a training session? really interested in getting back into playing sports, and AF is a big passion of mine

Of course dude more than welcome coming down. Still doing all the basics. Training at 1pm tomorrow on the Thornfield pitches.

Advertisement