Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C.V

• 06-10-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

If I approach an agent /publisher or am approached and am asked for a C.V (warning:stupid sounding question imminent) what are they looking for? Keeping in mind that both parties are aware that I'm yet to be published and have nothing really to brag about in terms of a track record.
    I'm assuming they don't want to see the thousand jobs I've had and how I achieved straight Cs in my inter cert.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You won't be asked for a CV. Nobody cares how you did in the leaving, or even if you have a degree related to writing.

What you may be asked for is a bio, which is a page/few paragraphs about you, but they are interested in things which make you qualified to write the book you are submitting, or things which will give you a platform or will make you easy to promotel.

If you've had interesting jobs, then they are worth mentioning. If you've jobs relevant to your book (if you are midwife and your book is about babies), mention that. If you've done something interesting or overcome a difficult condition, mention that. If you're a mod on Boards, or have a thousand twitter followers, mention that.

Just to add, you won't be approached. Agents and publishers have more submssions than they can cope with sitting on their desks (and piled in the hall quite often) so they don't go round asking unknown writers to submit. And in the incredibly unlikely event that they do, all they want to see is a great novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Thanks for the feedback, something incredibly unlikely might just be about to happen, and I've been advised to prepare a C.V (Perhaps one person's C.V is another person's bio?) However, terminology aside, I guess I'll run with the 'interesting jobs' angle, although dishwasher in a Bavarian hotel and pedal boat renting on a haunted Black Forest lake don't link in to my writing or qualify me to be anything. Then again, with those being but just two of a long life of 'colourful' occupations perhaps I was never going to end up as anything but a dreamy writer.

.....incredibly unlikely.....I like those odds :)

Don't worry about the CV/bio, concentrate on preparing a great couple of chapters to show your ability to write. It doesn't matter how interesting your life was, if you can't write, you won't sell a book.

Advertisement