Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray Seafront for c&c

• 06-10-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Recently I've been trying to take pictures that I wouldn't usually take and this morning I headed down to Bray. I would have liked to be there about 2 hours earlier because the light was quite bright white when I was there but my bed was more appealing at that time. I took these with my 5D classic and a combination of my 70-200, 24-70 and 50 1.4. Any thoughts or comments welcome.
    braycollage1.jpg
    braycollage2.jpg
    braycollage3.jpg
    braycollage4.jpg
    braycollage5.jpg
    braycollage6.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Shame the dolphins weren't in.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Misstaken

nice, it's a shame you didn't get there earlier when the sun was lower and less likely to blow out your images when shooting into the sun. I like the PP on some of those shots.. what are you using for processsing? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

nice collage.
    the bruscar and no cycling shouldn't be in there at all I think, they seem out of place.
    I like the small details shots (red fence bit and red and white paint). It's hard not to repeat the same objects in the photos too much but you've managed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you walk to the harbour there's more to shoot. Old boats, giant anchor, and when the tide is out there's a huge chain in the sand. But by god don't shoot the swans like everyone else lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

dinneenp wrote: »
    nice collage.
    the bruscar and no cycling shouldn't be in there at all I think, they seem out of place.
    I like the small details shots (red fence bit and red and white paint). It's hard not to repeat the same objects in the photos too much but you've managed it.

I kind of like the no cycling one but I wished I'd also managed to get a bicycle in the shot beside it. I had gone down specifically to shoot the red and white striped hut but then there were other things I liked too. I added the Bruscar because to my mind Bray has really tidied itself up and there seems to be so much more pride in the seafront than I remember from growing up. I also liked the v shape those two pictures had together.
    Misstaken wrote: »
    nice, it's a shame you didn't get there earlier when the sun was lower and less likely to blow out your images when shooting into the sun. I like the PP on some of those shots.. what are you using for processsing? smile.gif

Exactly what I was thinking. I will try again later in the month when I don't have to get up so early to catch a sunrise. Hopefully I'll get to see the dolphins too. I'm not promising no swan pictures though but only because I've never in my life taken a picture of one. :)
    I just ran a cross processing action I made on all of them. If they were for anything other than fun I would make sure they all matched up colourwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I like the 3rd one down that looks up at the shelter roof.
    I also think there is potential for the use of lens flare in some of them if you are looking into the sun (it appears in no. 04. You may need to look at the lighting in some of these as you already know with quite a few of them blown out with the sunlight.
    I think you could have maybe been more selective in the photos you posted. The set would be better off withour some of the over blown into sun shots, the bird, the sign for bins & cycling and the one of the building half hidden behind the sand. The best are the detail shots IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I love your photos! They make me want to go to Bray.

(and take those types of photos!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

great collection of photos. Love the lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

I'm only new to this photography stuff :o but what I have learned the hard way is:

1. Plan every aspect of your trip and leave loads of time for delays.
    2. If sunrise is say at 7:30am then aim to get there at least 45 minutes before it comes up. (Many a time in the car looking at amazing skies trying to get to a location, and by the time you get there....dull flat light or to much cloud cover)

3. Check met.ie for weather and then check the tides to see if it's in or out.
    4. Plan!
    5. Download this to help plan your shot, bloody great tool and a must for any photographer.
    5. Use ND filters to hold back the sun if it's to bright.

I'm sure there is loads of people here that can give better advise:o but there's my 2 cents worth;):)

Bren
    PS. Great shots by the way :-)

Thanks Bren. judging by your shots you get it so right most of the time. I think I would be nervous as a woman with a camera out in the dark waiting for sunrise but I would really love to get some slow shutter speed pictures of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Thanks Bren. judging by your shots you get it so right most of the time. I think I would be nervous as a woman with a camera out in the dark waiting for sunrise but I would really love to get some slow shutter speed pictures of water.

Oh I forgot number 6. A torch:D:D

Any time dude, in fact I'm getting bored going out by myself:o anytime you'd like to tag along I'm cool with that..... I could show you what limited knowledge I have picked up so far:pac:

That would be really great!! I'll be in touch....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I've lived in Bray all my life (49 years) and thats the Seafront perfectly as I know it :) Good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I like the collage overall, and while you had difficult lighting, it really worked for some & not for others.

There are 19 (19!!!) photos in all - I think this is too many. What would happen if you cut it down to say 10? or 6? I don't mean there are 9-13 bad shots there - but I some of them go better together than others.

Oddly, I too, thing the Bruscar is very out of place, while the 'no cycling' works - but I cannot explain why.

I like your idea of including a bicycle in the shot....so my suggestion is next time bring

- a flask of coffee
    and
    - a bicycle!

A lego bicycle, a toy bicycle, a trike...

-FoxT

Advertisement