Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Pound?!

• 06-10-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I was talking to my cousin today, she works in and around Ballinasloe, she was saying that some horses get left behind by their owners if they can't sell them, since horses are apparantely worth next to nothing these days, rather than go to the trouble of bringing them home, having to feed them etc, she said they just leave them there on the green and she said she thinks they get taken to the horse pound - I said I didn't think there was such a thing as a horse pound, certainly not in Galway, I said it's more likely the poor creatures will just get sent straight to the factory, but she was insistent that there's a horse pound in Galway.

Anyone know if there is or what in fact does happen to the horses left behind? I think I already know the answer.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I was talking to my cousin today, she works in and around Ballinasloe, she was saying that some horses get left behind by their owners if they can't sell them, since horses are apparantely worth next to nothing these days, rather than go to the trouble of bringing them home, having to feed them etc, she said they just leave them there on the green and she said she thinks they get taken to the horse pound - I said I didn't think there was such a thing as a horse pound, certainly not in Galway, I said it's more likely the poor creatures will just get sent straight to the factory, but she was insistent that there's a horse pound in Galway.

Anyone know if there is or what in fact does happen to the horses left behind? I think I already know the answer.....

I have no idea what actually happens to them but I doubt they get sent to the factory, don't they have to have a passport to go to the factory? How could you send a stray animal to the factory, you wouldn't know what drugs it had received and what would be entering the food chain. I think there actually is a horse pound in Galway, either way I'd say those left behind are put down if not rehomed, the owner will hardly claim it and I'd say the chances of someone rehoming a horse from the pound are slim. Very sad. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Any area that has implemented the control of horses bye-laws has to have a designated pound for the area, the veterinary department of the council should be able to tell you for sure. Zapperzy, they won't go to a factory for human consumption, they'd go to a rendering plant (where dead animal collections go) for dog food production where they become 'animal derivatives'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Well, you learn something new every day, especially on here (and it's usually depressing.....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Any area that has implemented the control of horses bye-laws has to have a designated pound for the area, the veterinary department of the council should be able to tell you for sure. Zapperzy, they won't go to a factory for human consumption, they'd go to a rendering plant (where dead animal collections go) for dog food production where they become 'animal derivatives'.

Same as tranceypoo I learn something new every day. Always presumed 'the factory' was for human consumption. So basically the horse could be drugged to the eyeballs and it can still be used in pet food. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I thought a certain rescuer from the galway area (who posts here) had something on there facebook page about the battle they had with the council about the stray horses, they were sent to Kilkenny to a pound like place, but don't think the outcome was good. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Zapperzy wrote: »
    So basically the horse could be drugged to the eyeballs and it can still be used in pet food. :(

Oh, there's much worse than that included in 'animal derivatives'. I know one of the collection vans only has enough to warrant the trip once every three weeks, that's a long time between dying (of who knows what) and processing, small animals can be kept in a freezer for that time, big ones - not so much! It honestly is not something you want to be feeding to a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Do you remember the lamas that got loose from the circus!!!!? They were found rambling and all got sent to the pound!!!(whatever it's called!) ... They were there for quite a while while an argument went on over whether the'd been knicked or not....
    Didn't end up in any tins : )
    Cheer UP People

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sezzie22

Yup you are right- there is no horse pound in Galway- They would all be transported to Kilkenny- at a cost to the taxpayer and every rescue in the country full to the brim...... but thats the problem with councils etc not enforcing the national law which is ALL HORSES MUST BE CHIPPED AND PASSPORTED....if this was actually enforced then all those horses that were left behind- would simply be scanned-traced to the owner and the owner fined/dealt with accordingly.....horses are classed as livestock....so in essence not having your horse microchipped and passported is as criminal as not having your cattle etc ear tagged......oh the irish lax systems drive me nuts at times!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tess Walsh

As far as I am aware if horses are going into the human food chain they have to be transported live to Europe - places like Albania - I think thats were many of them go and they have to have a passport. I have also come across an incident where a horse was not taken by the factory for use in pet food as it had certain drugs in its system. This was noted on its passport which was required. Also if certain drugs are in a horses system they cant be fed to hounds. Factories used to pay for horses - I dont know if they still do, certainly horses sold for slaughter on the continent are paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

There are three abbatoirs in Ireland that process horses for the food chain. There are other places in the rest of Europe.

I heard there is a fella in Sandyford 'farmers' market that does very good horse meat burgers and kebabs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement