Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on buying an xbox console just to play a few games on

Options
  • 06-10-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, I am looking to buy an xbox console and was wondering can anyone help advise me on which one will do for my specific needs, which are very basic:

• I just want to play a few shooers and a few racing games
    • No need or interest are playing online
    • No interest in using it for internet movies email etc
    Just wondering which console and what spec will do this for me at the best price that wont explode or have red ring of death or that wont grow arms and fists and beat me up or any of those things I hear gamers talk about.

Thanks in advance for all help with this one.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Keep an eye on Gamestop.ie, they had the 250GB for €187 until a few days ago.
    For that price its the best deal you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

Xbox is definately a better machine for gaming. However if you are into movies and music the PS3 a better choice. Online gaming costs about €60 with Xbox and is free with PS3. Download online extras like new maps for Call of Duty comes out on the Xbox usually about a month before PS3. I have had both and recommend Xbox.

Red Ring of Death has been sorted with the new slim 250gb model for Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Shazer01 wrote: »
    Xbox is definately a better machine for gaming. However if you are into movies and music the PS3 a better choice. Online gaming costs about €40 with Xbox and is free with PS3. Download online extras like new maps for Call of Duty comes out on the Xbox usually about a month before PS3. I have had both and recommend Xbox.

Fixed that for you. You're getting ripped big time at 60 quid. Only buying directly from MS is that price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Red Ring of Death has been sorted with the new slim 250gb model for Xbox.

Nope, still happens but alot less common and the ring can't go red anymore as they took out the red LEDs.

• Advertisement

Obviously there is always gonna be a failure rate. With the rrod on the elites it was massive. On the newer models it is around 3% which is standard for any decent hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Obviously there is always gonna be a failure rate. With the rrod on the elites it was massive. On the newer models it is around 3% which is standard for any decent hardware.

I think you'll find that the Jasper was the exception to this among the elites.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The jasper chipsets were an improvement alrite and yeah didn't they take the red led's out of the new slims!?

sounds like xbox is your man though, nice little machines, never got into the ps3... or blue rays for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

just get the 4GB arcade bundle slim xbox with a game that you want to play. Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

jaykhunter wrote: »
    just get the 4GB arcade bundle slim xbox with a game that you want to play. Sorted.

+1

Cheapest opiton of your just playing Offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I got an Xbox of the wife for a pressie on Fri night, like the OP i just wanna play games, no interest in online stuff. She got me the Elite which i believe is HD? Can anyone educate me on what the hard drive is for? Also i love Rpg games (got fable 2 with it) ant recomendation for games?

You can install your games to the HD. It just means that you can play the game from the HD but the disc still needs to be in the tray. U can also put your music on the hd which is grand but u have to put each disc on 1 by 1. Also. most xbox games are only 780p and not 1080i so high def is not standard for games. Even still.. quality machine.

Games worth getting.. Oblivion. halo. any call of duty. fifa. splinter cell. forza 4 to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

For RPG's I reckon.

Fable 2 and 3 (I prefer 2)
    Oblivion (GOTY Edition if you can)
    Fallout 3 (GOTY Edition)
    Fallout New Vegas
    Dragon Age 1 and 2
    Mass Effect 1 and 2

Also bear in mind that Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is out on 11,11,11 which is pretty damn soon. This is the RPG to get if you go no other. All in all though my list should see you into late 2012 if your a casual player who takes there time and the best part is most of these games are bargain bucket titles which you can get for a steal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

agree with the 4gb, and then buy a 16gb stick to give a total 20gb, which should be enough if not playing online

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

4gb Xbox with Fifa 12 & Gears of war 3 €169.99 in HMV Grafton street. Doubt you'll get a better deal than that anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Great deal all right, but went for this instead from Game in Liffey Valley after checking Smyths and HMV first.

Xbox 4GB, Fifa 12, Kinect with Kinect Joyride and Kinect Adventures all for €298.

Id always planned on buying the Kincet down the line for the kids, but couldnt turn down the above bundle.

I would of gone for the HMV deal if I wasnt looking for a kinect.

Picked up another wireless controller in HMV for €34.99. Game were looking 43.99 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Troyzerk

the new xbox 360 slim has no red ring issues but it costs a bit more then the old ones. if u just want to play a few games on it u should get the old one. the red ring only comes after 2 or 3 years after buying it. and with talk of a new xbox next year if i was u i would wait until that comes out.
    hope this helped

Advertisement