Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair Taxis

Options
  • 06-10-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Recently (launched last Friday) began a website to make it easier to source a wheelchair taxi. I'm in a wheelchair myself and have always found it extremely difficult to source one last-minute. Hoping the website will go some way to making things easier.

I would love to get some feedback from you guys about the site. Please keep in mind that it's at a very early stage and in trial phase for the Wicklow area only for the next two weeks but feedback even now would be great. I do want to keep the site as simple and straight forward as possible. I have information on the way which will be put up on the site about how to properly restrain a wheelchair in a taxi for the drivers because they receive no formal training (video and PDF documents etc).
    www.wheelchairtaxi.ie

regards,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

clusk007 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Recently (launched last Friday) began a website to make it easier to source a wheelchair taxi. I'm in a wheelchair myself and have always found it extremely difficult to source one last-minute. Hoping the website will go some way to making things easier.

I would love to get some feedback from you guys about the site. Please keep in mind that it's at a very early stage and in trial phase for the Wicklow area only for the next two weeks but feedback even now would be great. I do want to keep the site as simple and straight forward as possible. I have information on the way which will be put up on the site about how to properly restrain a wheelchair in a taxi for the drivers because they receive no formal training (video and PDF documents etc).
    www.wheelchairtaxi.ie

regards,

Stephen

Good on ya. There are a few good taxi drivers/taxi companies who have accessible cars that I use(based in Dublin), but the real problem occurs when out in town at weekends or if I'm coming home from a gig??

It is nigh on impossible to hail a wheelchair cab in Dublin city centre at weekends, because either the drivers are too lazy/can't be a***d to do the work involved, or they're more interested in getting 7/8 into a taxi(ie MORE MONEY!!!!)

IMO, the industry needs to be regulated properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

thanks Mickey, I understand exactly where your coming from. I have one regularly driver but if he's not around I always feel a risk trying someone else because of the usual problems– not knowing how to do restraints, head height of the vehicle etc. Hoping to go nationwide with the website very soon so keep an eye out

thanks Mickey, I understand exactly where your coming from. I have one regularly driver but if he's not around I always feel a risk trying someone else because of the usual problems– not knowing how to do restraints, head height of the vehicle etc. Hoping to go nationwide with the website very soon so keep an eye out

Will do.

They're either too thick to learn, or they can't be bothered.....? I hope your site gets noticed? Have you thought about maybe publicising it through TV/radio or in the newspaper??

I've been in touch with the Wicklow people and there should be an article next week about the site. want to keep it in the Wicklow area only at the moment because if things go badly I haven't affected customer impressions in the rest of the country. Depending on the feedback from Wicklow, I will develop it further and then go nationwide with a better product.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Good luck with it!!!
    Not in a wheelchair meself but have seen cases of taxis in dublin taking 5+ in the car and avoiding wheelchair users. It's not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi guys,

www.wheelchairtaxi.ie

regards,

Stephen

Nice site and a much needed resource. Hope it works out.

Eph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Great idea! Best of luck with the site.

thanks guys, long way to go but should be a great resource. Look out for an article in the Wicklow people this week about the site.

thanks guys, long way to go but should be a great resource. Look out for an article in the Wicklow people this week about the site.

Post the link here when it's printed.

• Advertisement

Advertisement