Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for TV licence for campus accommodation?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hey guys just wondering what is the situation regarding paying for a tv licence for campus accommodation? we got a letter through the door about it but the thing is none of us im my flat actually can get signal :P ive a tv in my room but its just for playing xbox. So can we avoid paying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Isn't there a connection for TVs in the living room? There was when I lived on campus.

AFAIK you are meant to have the licence.
    Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

The signal thing is awful, you'd think since RTE is down the road it'd be better and the line in cable is just as bad

But basically when the TV licence inspector comes knocking, don't leave him in and say you don't have a television, he has no legal right to come in. Unless you're on the ground floor and have a TV in the sitting room which he might see. Then you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

When I lived on campus, the flat above mine got done for not having a tv license. They generally will show up at some point though. Myself and my house mates chipped in for one. Its 160 quid so its not so bad between a couple of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

What does the TV tax do, exactly?

I know 90% of it goes to RTE - but I don't understand why RTE needs funding from taxes on Television sets. Can someone explain it to me a little? I looked at the wikipedia page for the tax and for RTE but I didn't 'get it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

If you do get caught, once you have a license before the court date it is usually thrown out. Was a load in our local paper this week. Only two people got fined, and they didn't show up to court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Robdude wrote: »
    What does the TV tax do, exactly?

I know 90% of it goes to RTE - but I don't understand why RTE needs funding from taxes on Television sets. Can someone explain it to me a little? I looked at the wikipedia page for the tax and for RTE but I didn't 'get it'.

They get that money so they can provide a national service. Same as the BBC in England (obviously they don't have adverts too). RTE don't use the money well an awful lot of the time, but without that money they would resort to TV3 style shíte to get more advertising revenue on a lower budget.

I say give the TV licence money to the bosses at TG4! Or even better, let them take over RTE and get rid of Tubbers and the likes. They'd actually use it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

They get that money so they can provide a national service. Same as the BBC in England (obviously they don't have adverts too). RTE don't use the money well an awful lot of the time, but without that money they would resort to TV3 style shíte to get more advertising revenue on a lower budget.

I say give the TV licence money to the bosses at TG4! Or even better, let them take over RTE and get rid of Tubbers and the likes. They'd actually use it well.

It does go to TG4 too right? I just heard it goes to 'state television', and that's TG4 too (I assume?).

TV licensing laws!
    I mean, they are supposed to charge you for a computer monitor not even connected to anything lurking broken in your garage but you could watch RTE every day on a borrowed computer in UCD/at someone else's house or whatever and dodge the fee...

National service? I mean, they wouldn't even properly put the news forward when the IMF came in, urgh. And they make NOTHING (in English, TG4 is actually not too bad for this!) for the young audience.

Okay that's totally off-topic anyways I suppose you could just chip in? AFAIK you can do it like through a standing order in little chunks?

Advertisement