Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank robbery in Kilkee!

• 06-10-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Just got a text from home to say the BOI was robbed with a shotgun :eek: Madness! Anyone else hear anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Not very much info as of yet but by the sounds of it they got away with cash.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1006/kilkee.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Shocking! I really hope they get them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

ARMED RAID ON KILKEE BANK

6 October, 2011 - 15:41

An investigation's underway into an armed robbery on the bank in Kilkee.
    According to Kilrush Gardaí -one of the two raiders they believe were involved in his incident entered the Bank of Ireland on O' Curry Street in Kilkee at around 2.30 this afternoon.

Brandishing a sawn off shotgun, he threatened staff before making off with what gardaí have described as a small sum of cash.The raider then made his escape on a motorbike outside- driven by another individual.

No shots were fired and no body was injured but its understood that staff were traumatised by the incident and are currently being interviewed by investigating officers.

Gardaí are also looking through nearby CCTV footage and are appealing for information from anyone who may have seen both raiders on the motorbike prior to or after the robbery.

http://clare.fm/news/armed-raid-kilkee-bank

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kn1

i drove through kilkee about 4 pm
    got stopped at a checkpoint 10 miles before the town and saw 7 undercover cars,4 marked cars,2 paddy wagons !!
    all for 8.5 k stolen in cash
    whats the overtime for guards going to be ?

kn1 wrote: »
    got stopped at a checkpoint 10 miles before the town and saw 7 undercover cars,4 marked cars,2 paddy wagons !!

In fairness they should be doing just that investigating regardless the cost in ''overtime''. People deserve to work in a peaceful, safe environment being caught up in something like that is really traumatic threatening people with weapons is awful whoever they are deserve to be caught and serve justice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

All resources available must be mobilised , next time someone may get seriously injured and then the shouting will begin.
    Where were the guards!!!

Hope they catch them .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

a young girl heald at gun point has EVERY right to be investigated to the last, however long it takes and however much it costs. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Just heard they caught 2 locals...sickening! :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As with all ongoing legal cases do not speculate at identity/motives of people involved without links to your sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jackprice

Clareman wrote: »
    As with all ongoing legal cases do not speculate at identity/motives of people involved without links to your sources.

i have not asked about anyones identity ??? its just a simple question of common knowledge that needs to be confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Welcome to boards jackprice.

Even if something is common knowledge in a locality, it doesn't mean we can speculate about it on a international forum, same as a newspaper can't.

a newspaper can certinally ask this question without mentioning a name.....do you know how many <snip>people in that profession there are in the clare area? Its a reasonable question to post!!

jackprice wrote: »
    a newspaper can certinally ask this question without mentioning a name.....do you know how many <snip>people in that profession there are in the clare area? Its a reasonable question to post!!

It's a bit of a grey area, I wouldn't imagine there is that many people in that profession in the area, I like to err on the side of caution at most times.

Clareman wrote: »
    It's a bit of a grey area, I wouldn't imagine there is that many people in that profession in the area, I like to err on the side of caution at most times.

A little bit of over moderation i should say when it comes to freedom of speech, No disrespect to you but i think its fair that people should be able to comment on my original post and let them answer my question without the actual use of using names.

Please have a look through the boards FAQ as well as the local forum charter, in particular if you look through the FAQ you'll see the stance in regards to freedom of speech.

As I said, it's a grey area and I am open to correction about narrowing suspects down by their career, feel free to open a thread in feedback or PM me or the other mods.

Gardai were stopping cars and looking for witnesses today on the main street.

Also http://clare.fm/news/two-held-over-kilkee-bank-raid

Two men are being quizzed by gardaí into yesterday armed raid on the Bank of Ireland in Kilkee.
    The 31 year old along with a 26 year old were arrested shortly after half eleven last night and are being detained at Kilrush and Ennis garda stations under Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act.
    Over 8 and a half thousand euro was stolen when two raiders armed with a sawn-off shotgun and a knife entered the Bank of Ireland on O Curry Street in Kilkee shortly after 2 yesterday afternoon.
    They then made their escape on a motorbike with cash in euro and sterling.
    Kilrush gardaí who are leading the investigation are still appealing for anybody with information on the incident to contact them on 065 9080559

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Apart from the question to mention hints about the background of possible suspects* I think it's pathetic to take the risk to rob a bank when the booty is actually ridiculous.

I mean, 8000 euros? That only shows that someone desperate or utterly stupid did the crime. Pros would first check how much money is available, how high the risk would be and such like.

The German poet and playwright Bertold Brecht once said (very roughly translated): What is worse, the founding of a bank or the robbery of a bank?
    Means: We all should know by now that the bankers are worse robbers than the bank robbers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone the terrifying experience of the innocent people involved.
    But I do have a certain understanding for utter desperation, when usually ordinary people see no other solution than robbing a bank.

Personally I have no sympathy for the banking establishment.

*What I always found terryfying in Ireland is that the accused and often the suspects, even before conviction, are publicly named and shamed with full address. That's in a close-knit society as Ireland a conviction for life, even if they turn out to be innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How much did "Fingers" Seanie and Co. rob from the Irish Taxpayer?
    Were they investigated? And when there was a token gesture of a garda "dawn raid" on Seanie's house they took an RTE film crew with them to make it look impressive.

http://clare.fm/news/men-released-bank-raid-probe

Gardai have released without charge two men who had been arrested in connection with an armed robbery at a bank in Kilkee.
    The men had been arrested in the Doonbeg area just hours after the incident which occurred on Thursday afternoon.
    Over 8500 euro was stolen from the Bank of Ireland on O'Curry Street in Kilkee by two raiders who were armed with a sawn-off shotgun and a knife.
    Two men were arrested that evening but were freed from custody last night. A file on the matter is being prepared for the DPP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jokerface187

I laugh when i read things like this and people saying "oh they deserve to be caught", but these same people will sit quietly while the politicians up in dublin rob them and run the country into the ground. What is wrong with all you people is that you would rather get robbed by a guy with a smile on his face wearing a suit. I hope whoever robbed the bank gets away with it and robs more banks.

The cops in west clare know who is commiting all the crimes and they dont want to catch them. Do you honestly think someone can sit in their house dealing Class A drugs for years and they know all about it and the person never gets caught because he is too clever????

Nope its not that, its because they let that Heroin dealer sell the drugs in the small towns in west clare because he gives them information on other stupid crimes such as mr fancy pants complains his car window got broken and because he is more important than ordinary joe they let Mr Heroin dealer slide in court so they can catch who broke mr fancy pants window. But in the mean time Mr Heroin dealer keeps selling the heroin creating addicts that need the drug but cant afford it so they go out and rob your house to pay for their problem.

So now the cops come back to Mr Heroin dealer looking for information about who robbed your house? If you are fortunate enough that Mr Addict went and panwed your stuff off to Mr Heroin dealer, then you catch the person who robbed your house. So what has happened is the people you trust to protect you, are helping the people that are creating the junkies that commit the crimes. What a place we live in <3:confused:

• Advertisement

I laugh when i read things like this and people saying "oh they deserve to be caught", but these same people will sit quietly while the politicians up in dublin rob them and run the country into the ground. What is wrong with all you people is that you would rather get robbed by a guy with a smile on his face wearing a suit. I hope whoever robbed the bank gets away with it and robs more banks.

The cops in west clare know who is commiting all the crimes and they dont want to catch them. Do you honestly think someone can sit in their house dealing Class A drugs for years and they know all about it and the person never gets caught because he is too clever????

Nope its not that, its because they let that Heroin dealer sell the drugs in the small towns in west clare because he gives them information on other stupid crimes such as mr fancy pants complains his car window got broken and because he is more important than ordinary joe they let Mr Heroin dealer slide in court so they can catch who broke mr fancy pants window. But in the mean time Mr Heroin dealer keeps selling the heroin creating addicts that need the drug but cant afford it so they go out and rob your house to pay for their problem.

So now the cops come back to Mr Heroin dealer looking for information about who robbed your house? If you are fortunate enough that Mr Addict went and panwed your stuff off to Mr Heroin dealer, then you catch the person who robbed your house. So what has happened is the people you trust to protect you, are helping the people that are creating the junkies that commit the crimes. What a place we live in <3:confused:

So basically your saying its ok to threaten someone at gun point!

They didn't stand there and threaten people with a gun to there head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Well I for one applaud the initiative of the Gardaí. What other force would have come up with the genuis idea of asking a high-level drug-dealer about the petty crime that goes on? You'd think the drug-dealer would be too busy trying to, y'know, deal drugs and stuff, but no, they figured out that he has his ear to the ground and knows exactly who all the window-breakers are. And criminals keep telling him this stuff because... well, they just want to be caught. Bravo Gardaí, because it's not like it would be a huge coup for them to actually catch a drug-dealer, it's obviously much more beneficial for them to catch the odd window-breaker instead

:rolleyes:
    FFS, try thinking for two seconds before you decide to post whatever tripe you heard down the pub from your friend's cousin's uncle

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This could be fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Lets hear the guy out. It sounds more Law & Order SVU than The Wire but interesting none the less. I'm betting the superintendent threatened to suspend the renegade cop spearheaded this unconventional investigation. Usually you spend years building a case to catch bigger fish but he's doing it in reverse. Doesn't even care if he loses his badge or breaks a lot of furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Does anyone find it a little suspicious that the poster rosemalin was just enquiring about free holiday homes in the area just before the robbery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Does anyone find it a little suspicious that the poster rosemalin was just enquiring about free holiday homes in the area just before the robbery :D

No Mr o Shea, i dont.

the cops have their guys allright,just a case of piecing the evidence together.

Was talking to a 1st hand eye witness last Monday.
    This guy was on his way to the bank for a withdrawal when the stolen bike pulled up,2 lads entered the bank,he didnt see the guys with any gun or bag entering,but he instantly knew something wasnt right so he paused for a moment,he observed the bike was left running and he informed me the robbery took no more than 2 minutes,As they left the Bank he observed they were holding a bag.

Lots of rumours doing the rounds but there is no doubting as to who is responsible for this robbery.

Jokerface...........you have a point in your previous post,here is an example of leniency showed when a scumbag sings to the cops. i know of a guy who was arrested for dealing very large quantities of cocaine around the same time this guy was arrested,its no coincidence they were good buddies.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/gentleman-robber-stole-3k-from-post-office-141772.html

Jokerface...........you have a point in your previous post,here is an example of leniency showed when a scumbag sings to the cops. i know of a guy who was arrested for dealing very large quantities of cocaine around the same time this guy was arrested,its no coincidence they were good buddies.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/gentleman-robber-stole-3k-from-post-office-141772.html
    Except that's the exact opposite of what he was talking about. Jokerface's claim is that the Gardaí are using 'big' criminals as informants to catch small-time criminals. In the case you're talking about, it's the other way round, which is a perfectly reasonable approach to policing

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Have to agree with Jokerface, i do not live in west Clare but in my local town,
    its common knowledge that the drug dealers are Garda informers. These guys are never touched to the total amazement of locals. Now and again there is a token gesture of "hauling them in" for a few hours but nothing ever happens.
    This is not something i heard "down in the pub". This is actual fact.
    We also get this line now and again that the Gardai let these guys off so they can keep an eye on the "bigger fish". What utter bulls##t.

washman3 wrote: »
    Have to agree with Jokerface, i do not live in west Clare but in my local town,
    its common knowledge that the drug dealers are Garda informers. These guys are never touched to the total amazement of locals. Now and again there is a token gesture of "hauling them in" for a few hours but nothing ever happens.
    This is not something i heard "down in the pub". This is actual fact.
    We also get this line now and again that the Gardai let these guys off so they can keep an eye on the "bigger fish". What utter bulls##t.
    Oh well, if you say it's "actual fact", then it must be true.

Do you have any idea of how advantageous it is to the Gardaí to get a conviction against a high-level drug-dealer? The only reason they would not take in one that they had evidence against is to secure a conviction against someone higher up the food chain, not for a handful of petty criminals

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Oh well, if you say it's "actual fact", then it must be true.

Do you have any idea of how advantageous it is to the Gardaí to get a conviction against a high-level drug-dealer? The only reason they would not take in one that they had evidence against is to secure a conviction against someone higher up the food chain, not for a handful of petty criminals

Yes, i have every idea what it means to put away a high level dealer.
    Many of the gang leaders from Limerick City are in prison,big deal.!! these guys are operating their drug trade better than ever now,actually far better organised. same goes for the Dublin gangs.
    Meantime their foot-soldiers do their dirty work on the outside. You may prefer to call these scum petty criminals but without these scum there would be nobody "higher" up the chain.
    What a sad country we live in when people actually believe these rubbish theories.

Advertisement