Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Aid Courses Cork

Options
  • 06-10-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this should be elsewhere.

I am interested in doing a First Aid Course. I am wondering where they are held in the city. I see many occupational First Aid courses advertised and I assume they are more for people in an organisational setting.

Is there just a general course that members of the public can take or is occupational FA just an extension of that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

UpCork wrote: »

I am interested in doing a First Aid Course. I am wondering where they are held in the city. I see many occupational First Aid courses advertised and I assume they are more for people in an organisational setting.

Is there just a general course that members of the public can take or is occupational FA just an extension of that?

Thanks.

My Brother in Law trains paramedics professionally and he says St John's Ambulance might the people to contact - they do first aid courses for the general public. Down in Victoria Road http://www.stjohnambulance.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

I did a Practical First Aid course with the Irish Red Cross last March in Douglas Community School, Douglas, Cork. The telephone number of the school is 021 4294208.
    It's the best money you can spend, I hope I never have to use it but it is good to know what to do. Our instructor told us that Ireland is one of the worst countries when it comes to first aid knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

check out the red cross or st johns ambulance, they run regular courses not the occupational stuff
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

Would fás do a first aid course at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Red Cross does Practical First Aid which is a public course. Occupational is indeed an extension with defib etc thrown in, costs a lot more and takes longer because it is signed up to FETAC I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

UpCork wrote: »

Thanks.

Don't let the word "occupational" fool you. Basically, the occ first aid course is just normal first aid. I think it got it's name because people wanted a course that their health and safety inspectors in work would approve. The occupational first aid course covers normal first aid, which would suit anybody.

Google is your friend with regard to finding a trainer. Lots of good companies out there, mostly teaching the same stuff. Shop around and see who can sort you out with a good deal. If you need a FETAC approved course you'll have to do occupational first aid. If you need an Irish Heart Foundation approved course you'll probably have to do the Heartsaver course. Most companies run both.

If you're not worried about who'd accrediting them, then there are much cheaper versions available. Again, get in touch with a few training firms and see who gives you a decent deal.

Advertisement