Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roller hockey in waterford?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

was wondering if there is anybody playing inline hockey (blades and puck) in the waterford city/county area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Sounds interesting alright, played a bit before, would be up for it at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

it doesn't look like there's any teams in the locality.the nearest team seems to be in kilkenny.

check this out http://www.inlinehockeyireland.org/info i've been chatting to a few mates and there's 6 of us interested so far.one the lads rang kingfisher and they gave us the ok for using their indoor hall.

would be great if we could get 5 aside just to start things off .i haven't rollerbladed in about 13years and am just looking for a bit of exercise tbh.

note. we're not looking for experienced players,this is just being set up for the craic with a view to maybe entering a team in the future.all are welcome:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Cool link, plenty of info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I used to do lots of inline skating as a kid/young teen. I was alright at it too, but I imagine I would be sketchy now and no way would I have that kind of control on wooden surfaces (looks slippy as ice). Id be interested in this if I didn't live so far away from the city, even though I do spend most of my day there thats due to classes.

apparently the surface gives good traction with rubber wheels- irish league seems to play on it.

i used to play a bit too in my teens but on a newly tarmaced yard up in hillview,de la salle secondary school car park was a good spot too.

hopefully this will gather a bit of momentum,would be nice to dust off the old blades!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yeah. Im so tempted to get out my old pair of skates and head down the skate park tomorrow morning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 x.revoLucian

Hello there, Dave and everyone!

My name is Lucian, I've been involved in inline hockey in Ireland for the last five or so years, and more before that abroad.
    I live in Waterford, and I am actually in the process of organizing a team together.
    It's a lot of hard work, particularly with the venue, but I have contacted Kingfisher, and they did seem willing to let us have a go, and, thankfully, I am also getting some help from Inline Hockey Ireland, the governing body.

Also, to add, the hard wood surface of an indoor sports hall is ideal for inline hockey if dedicated arenas aren't available.

I will leave my contact details at the bottom of this post, feel free to contact me at any time, and thanks for putting this thread up! =]

E-mail me at x.revolucian@yahoo.com
    or call at 086-122-5374

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Used to love me rollerblades. Was fairly handy on them aswell if I do say so meself. I'd probably cack meself if I tempted half the stuff I used to do on them. Great laugh though. the hockey would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Sounds like a good laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 flabearla

hi guys, i done the roller hockey back in the school days. was out on the blades not so long ago wasn't hard to pick it up again. i'd be mad into gettin a session together to practice.
    op i'll pm you my details.... (",)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Loved Roller blading as well when I was younger, would love to give it a go again.

the old blades won't be dusted off after-all!!!

fcuk it,i've ordered a new pair to be delivered from the uk.great website too

the missus doesn't know what to think of me lately-first dodgeball and now this!
    by the way i'm 29 and 15st.

http://www.rawk.com/p922/rollerblade-spark-84-men-s-inline-skates/

didn't bother going with hockey skates as i actually plan on busting myself up on those ramp thingys down the park aswell:P

Hello, again, everyone!

Just letting anyone interested know that I plan to arrange a day where we can just meet up to discuss and plan how we're going to go about getting together regularly.
    I already have most of it worked out, but, of course, I need to run it by anyone who wants to participate, too.

In the meantime, obviously, skates and a hockey stick are essential.
    You can try to Google shops, but remember that it's important for them to be based in the E.U. (as to not get stuck with having to pay for import duty).
    Two website usually used to order gear by players in Ireland are:
    http://www.hockeyoffice.com/
    http://www.hockeymonkey.eu/
    Equipment can get pretty dear, so, make sure to check out the bargain and sales sections, and if you do want to get gear, don't bother getting any more than the stick and skates, as it is cheaper to order in bulk and I can organize that.

Looking forward to getting this together, and hope you guys have a lovely weekend.

-Lucian.

i don't have a hockey stick yet-aparently left handed sticks are more common-does everyone else interested have skates and sticks?

i was looking for the cheapest composite stick on hockeyoffice.com and it comes in around 52-55 quid however the same stick would only come in at around 35-37 quid if quantity is 4 or more.

anybody else interested in buying? i'll give it a few days for people to reply...

daaave wrote: »
    i don't have a hockey stick yet-aparently left handed sticks are more common-does everyone else interested have skates and sticks?

i was looking for the cheapest composite stick on hockeyoffice.com and it comes in around 52-55 quid however the same stick would only come in at around 35-37 quid if quantity is 4 or more.

anybody else interested in buying? i'll give it a few days for people to reply...
    feck. They're pricy enough. I presume my smyths bad boy from years ago will be no good so.
    Must get me blades outta the shed and bring em for a spin. Think ill wait till its dark, a Baldy beardy fella on blades might look odd. Actually, I might put on me biker gear for the craic haha

Hello, again!

Left sided sticks are more common, as most right-handed people would use them, but it all depends on what you find comfortable.
    If you want, I can bring a stick for anyone to try it out to make sure of their side.

Not everyone that's shown interest has skates and a stick, and I need to order some gear, too, so, it is very important to order together; the least we can do is get a bargain.

Whoever is interested and reads this, let me know what day and time you are available to meet up and have a quick chat. This is the first step that we need to do in order to set up a squad.

Thank you!

-Lucian.

just got the new blades today-they're savage-only thing now is to try skate in them.might go down to the tramore skate park(when its dark!)

any one else around? i'll be easy to spot-more hair on my arse than my head(i do plan on wearing pants but you get what i'm saying)and about as wide as i am tall

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

if anyone wants sticks (wooden ones) or shoulder pads/hockey pants pm me your number and we can get a good deal done... i think i have a pair of gloves too :D
    went mad for field hockey 2-3 years ago and now that thats gone im stuck with all the gear

never skated in my life and dont planning on investing in in line skates:cool:

best of luck with it anyway

thanks izy,somebody might take you up on your offer with the protective gear but the sticks are different in roller hockey to field hockey,i assume you have the umbrella handle type butt for field hockey whereas we need a sort of blade type butt.below is an example....

http://www.hockeyoffice.com/warrior-bentley-ops-composite-stick-senior-flex-85/shop/shop1prodview_iHS0257195.html

it's proper ice hockey gear and sticks... We played hockey "on feet" rather than inline. It lasted only maybe a half year. Actually played with Lucian too...

• Advertisement

nice one-how many sticks have you got,are they left or right handed?

They are left handed, have 4 altogether, 2 never used...good for starting up when you getting used to d game.

All sticks are Sher-wood's but one that's a CCM.

If anyone has a loan of skates I might give it a go...
    Have all the padding so falling shouldn't hurt too much :D

i've got a spare pair of cheap blades izy if you want to give it a try sometime.......
    i'll pm you during the week about taking one or two sticks off your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blagirl

Any girls interested in playing?! Seems its all lads on this post! Would love to give it a go, dont want to be the only girl ha

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daisygirl

Hi

I'd be interested in giving it a go. Can't leave the boys have all the fun :)
    Has anything been decided yet? Dates, time etc??

Hmmmm last two posts have got me interested.

Hello, all, how are you doing?

It is wonderful to see all the interest, really have to commend Dave for putting this thread up, great work!
    This week, I'm focusing on getting the word out as much as possible, but I think we should all meet up somewhere in town, sit for a few, have a chat. How does that sound? If you want, message me your numbers (if you haven't already), and I will call you to arrange a day and time that suits everyone.

Izy, did we play together in the Leisure Zone in Ardkeen? You should definitely take up Dave's offer on the cheap blades and come give it a try!

It is fine if you have never skated in your life, I am willing to teach and improve everyone's skating ability.

Look forward to seeing you all!

-Lucian.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

seanybiker wrote: »
    Hmmmm last two posts have got me interested.

Typical Seany :P

Ericaa wrote: »
    Typical Seany :P

You thinking bout joining up? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I don't know!
    I think I'd make too much of a fool outta myself :P

I'd give it a go if there were more girls I'd say.

Advertisement