Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roller hockey in waterford?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ericaa wrote: »
    I'd give it a go if there were more girls I'd say.
    Me too :pac:

Honestly you won't make a fool of yourself. Some people pick skating up easily and others need some practise. Everyone starts somewhere so if anyone says anything to you all you need to do is introduce your stick to their shins.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

hey guys,glad to see the interest is growing on this thread!!

well done to lucian who has been recently appointed the inline hockey's national league manager for this season.i'm sure that will be of great benefit for us trying to set up a team locally.

meeting up would be best,as lucian said so we can discuss the basics/go through the rules/talk about buying equipment/particular evening that suits most for training etc.

i think we should maybe wait another week or so until lucian gets some feedback from his posters/advertising-hopefully this may bulk up the numbers.only 5 is needed for a team afaik (goalkeeper and 4 outfield players) but because its so fast a furious and people will have other commitments i'd say we could do with a squad of 15 at the very least.

what i can't seem to find out is whether or not this is a mixed gender team sport-obviously the ladies are more than welcome but maybe lucian can clarify whether or not we have to set up mens and ladies teams......

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daisygirl

I'd be up for a meeting, I might be able to drag another female along with me. We've never played and can't say our skating would be up to scratch but we're willing to give it ago as long as the sniggering will be kept to a minimum :)

I'll pm my details to Lucian
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 x.revoLucian

Hello!

Erica, I think you should definitely consider taking part, too, especially seeing as we have a few potential ladies interested.
    I'm sure there won't be much sniggering, we all have something to learn, and let's face it, women are faster at learning, right?

Also, for anyone, if you know someone else that might want to get into hockey and trying out a new sport, being active, socializing, drag them along.

I will set up a date and time for us to meet during the first week of November. Fingers crossed, we will have more than the required number interested by then!

And just to answer Dave's question, the league is mixed in terms of gender. While there was a ladies' division in the past, unfortunately, not enough teams were interested to enable us to run such a division this year. If any ladies are interested in playing, though, they should definitely not hesitate, as we do need the numbers to allow us to even have the option of perhaps having a ladies' team and division again in the future.

Thank you, everyone.

-Lucian.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Izy, did we play together in the Leisure Zone in Ardkeen?

yes, we did :cool:

i'm in new york the first week of november, going to see the devils vs jets actually, but after that i meet up with you all...

is it in line skates what you need???

might see if i can pick up something cheap if i like it :D

• Advertisement

i was talking to 3 guys i know and 2 of them are mad to get started on a few games(3rd guy is a maybe)

the numbers are starting to look good-but theres room for plenty more.......

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

daaave wrote: »
    well done to lucian who has been recently appointed the inline hockey's national league manager for this season.
    Erica, I think you should definitely consider taking part, too, especially seeing as we have a few potential ladies interested.

How can I say no to the manager :P

i've got 2 guys who are not on boards who are mad for a game of roller hockey-might have a further 2 by the end of the week..

Hello!

Have a great time over there, Izy, enjoy!
    Just letting you know that it is inline skates that you need. All the popular hockey gear manufacturers (Bauer, CCM, Reebok, Mission, etc.) make hockey inline skates, but as long as they have four wheels in a row, you'll be fine.

Drop me a line when you get back from your holiday.
    Take care!

-Lucian.

Hello, everyone!

I would like to invite anyone who might be interested in taking part of shaping up this inline hockey team to come meet up on Monday, the 7th of November, 2012. I think it would be ideal to meet in Geoff's in town at or around 18:30.

We can discuss how the team could work, what is needed, and, also, I will answer any questions you might have.

Let me know if you can make it, and I would ask to spread the word as much as you can; drag anyone else you know along.

I look forward to seeing you all, and enjoy your weekend!

-Lucian.

• Advertisement

i'll be there-i'll get in touch with the other guys too.

ok i've been chatting to some of lads in tramore and they're well up for setting up a team-they've all been roller blading before and most have tried a bit of hockey too! so far it looks like theres 7 of us who'll be comin in from tramore.

anybody else who's expressed interest on this thread going to be in geoffs monday @6.30pm? lucian and flabearla will be there too so thats 9 so far...

Geoffs? Haha zideth will probably be there dave. He loves the place.

Its good to see there's a nice amount of interest in this lads.

Is Fla doing it aswell dave? Must give him a buzz actually. I seen his van on google earth with his number on the side of it.

ha ha- you must send me a link of the van! yeah fla's(flabearla) gonna be down too,i even picked him up a cheap hockey stick to coax him into playing.i've played soccer with zedith on the boards team so i know who he is.if i see him monday he could very well be draughted in too.

you should send fla a pm-unfortunately he's got alot of time on his hands these days so he might be around for a trip to the cleaboy....

Ah right cool cool.
    I'm barred from cleaboy lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daisygirl

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ah right cool cool.
    I'm barred from cleaboy lol.
    Hi guys, is there any girls going or thinking of joining? I'll do my best to be there on Monday and will drag another girl along. Hopefully we won't be outnumbered :-)

Daisygirl wrote: »
    Hi guys, is there any girls going or thinking of joining? I'll do my best to be there on Monday and will drag another girl along. Hopefully we won't be outnumbered :-)

I think erica on here might go to it. She's nto to sure incase there is no other girls there but sure if you and your mate turn up then she might go along as well.

Must say its class seen how much interest there is in this.

yeah erica will surely be going- also we had bla girl/daisy dirl +1 expressing interest so there's 4 girls so far if all the above mentioned can make it. i'd say we could have 15-16 turning up tonight!

Hello, All!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who came to our first team meeting. I really appreciate that you took time to come and meet, and that shows dedication. Going forward, I imagine growing interest, and we are going to be the ones responsible for starting out.
    This team belongs to all of us.

I will be posting on here on Friday to let everyone know how the meeting with Kingfisher went; fingers crossed, I'll secure us a venue.

Provided that that goes ahead as hoped, we should be in a position to order sticks as planned during the weekend. I've emailed the Hockey Office, and I will be in touch before putting the order through.
    Below, I will post links to the cheapest sticks, so you can have a browse.

http://www.hockeyoffice.com/stick-remnants-different-brands-taken-out-off-the-shelf-randomly-originalprice-up-to-49-00/shop/shop1prodview_iRESTSC.html
    http://www.hockeyoffice.com/instrike-abs-5555-stick-senior/shop/shop1prodview_iIN5555.html
    http://www.hockeyoffice.com/ccm-vector-team-40kp-v5-0-stick-senior/shop/shop1prodview_iE3545040.html

Please, feel free to message me if there are any more questions.

Lastly, Erica set up a Facebook page for our team. It would be much appreciated if you would visit it, like it, etc.

I look forward to seeing you, again, and thank you!

Lucian

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Here's the link to the FaceBook page.
    That's only the temporary name for now, until we come up with a proper team name!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inline-Hockey-Waterford/310128935679669

• Advertisement

Thank you for that Erica!
    Must have escaped me to put the link in myself.

I encourage everyone to keep an eye on the Facebook page, I just posted the costs of ordering sticks.
    Please check it out and comment to let me know what you think.

Thank you, all.

Lucian.

daaave wrote: »
    yeah erica will surely be going- also we had bla girl/daisy dirl +1 expressing interest so there's 4 girls so far if all the above mentioned can make it. i'd say we could have 15-16 turning up tonight!
    Give ericaa my address. Me septum needs a hole

got a pair of in line skates yesterday ( in alfies for €75 ) and cant wait for the first training session :D

saying that i have to sort out some sort of insurance as i never skated before and when i tried them in the shop all the staff had a great laugh out of me :rolleyes:

tried at home later and wasnt much better:D but the hockey stick helped a lot in not loosing my balance too easy.

so roll on hockey!!!

glad to hear your on board izy-we had 12 people show up the other night with a couple missing so numbers are looking good-lucian should be posting up shortly(he was due to meet up with the guys in kingfisher today to discuss use of the indoor hall) hopefully then next week we may be able to get together and have a game.

Hey Izy and Dave,

I'm glad to see your on board, Izy, looking forward to seeing you out there.

Like Dave said, we had decent numbers at our first team meeting, and I only expect this to grow. I'm happy you got skates, few others need to get a pair, as well. I think for the first few training sessions, we might just play ball hockey, just in shoes.
    I will teach everyone skating to the best of my abilities, I have been skating for a very long time, now, and I think I can do pretty well.

Anyway, thank you, again, looking forward to seeing you!

See my next post for the update.

Lucian

Hello all,

Please have a read of the update on our Facebook (link below).
    Let me know what you think via message or phone.

Also, if there is anyone else interested, contact me and I will put you on our mailing list.

Thank you so much for everything, your time and dedication, and I can't wait to get this team going!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inline-Hockey-Waterford/310128935679669?sk=info

Lucian

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would love to have played this but there is noway my back/knee would take it. We'll have to setup a fanclub for the boards players :)

ziedth wrote: »
    I would love to have played this but there is noway my back/knee would take it. We'll have to setup a fanclub for the boards players :)

I'm sure you look stunning in a cheerleader outfit :D

anything happening guys/girls???

• Advertisement

Hello, all!

Please see the update on our FaceBook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inline-Hockey-Waterford/310128935679669?ref=tn_tnmn

Thank you!

Advertisement