Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How reliable is "provisional acceptance"?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭

Have been with the bank lately about a mortgage, and the manager was more than happy with the application (it's only for €50k) and said he could see no reason not to accept it. Only thing is of course, he doesn't make the decision and it has to go to head office for confirmation.

He has given a letter of provisional acceptance to keep the Estate Agent we're dealing with at bay, but isn't expecting a confirmation/refusal from head office til early next week.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it likely for the bank manager to be so cheery about our prospects only for head office to flatten it? I mean this fella wasn't just optimistic he was practically acting like it was a done deal.

It's with Ulster Bank btw, who I've heard from a few people in the industry are one of the few banks who actually have money to lend at the minute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Have been with the bank lately about a mortgage, and the manager was more than happy with the application (it's only for €50k) and said he could see no reason not to accept it. Only thing is of course, he doesn't make the decision and it has to go to head office for confirmation.

He has given a letter of provisional acceptance to keep the Estate Agent we're dealing with at bay, but isn't expecting a confirmation/refusal from head office til early next week.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it likely for the bank manager to be so cheery about our prospects only for head office to flatten it? I mean this fella wasn't just optimistic he was practically acting like it was a done deal.

It's with Ulster Bank btw, who I've heard from a few people in the industry are one of the few banks who actually have money to lend at the minute.

I'd be reasonably confident as long as your personal circs. don't change in the interim. If they didn't feel happy about giving you the mortgage, I don't think they'd give you even that*.

*E&OE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I'd be reasonably confident as long as your personal circs. don't change in the interim. If they didn't feel happy about giving you the mortgage, I don't think they'd give you even that*.

*E&OE.

No change in circumstance at all.

Nothing I can do about it of course, just that the wife is a bag of nerves so I'm not sure if I should encourage her that it's going to be fine, or prepare her for the worst unnecessarily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

DrPhilG wrote: »
    No change in circumstance at all.

Nothing I can do about it of course, just that the wife is a bag of nerves so I'm not sure if I should encourage her that it's going to be fine, or prepare her for the worst unnecessarily!

You could tell her what my mother always says at times like that: '(s)he who forsees disaster suffers it twice over'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

At the moment, nothing is reliable until the money is handed over. the lengths banks are going to in order to stall and delay parting with money are incredible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

At the moment, nothing is reliable until the money is handed over. the lengths banks are going to in order to stall and delay parting with money are incredible.

Very very true.
    Where simple loans might have been handled in a couple of days in branch in the past- now they're forwarded to a committee, and can take literally months.

OP- how reliable is 'provisional acceptance'? Not very........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056412727

Same or similar boat to you OP..

The wait is just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

smccarrick wrote: »
    OP- how reliable is 'provisional acceptance'? Not very........

Well in this case it wasn't far out!

Mortgage fully approved this morning!

Advertisement