Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Chart API

Options
  • 06-10-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a (free / open-source) Java Chart API.

I have come accross http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/ which seems quite good.

I am just looking to see if anyone has any experience of using this one, or could recommend another.

My charts will be line graphs mostly, I think. I am unsure yet as I have not been given samples yet. I think after seeing the samples on this website that I might try to make various types of graphs.

In case the homework police come out like last time I'll state it clearly now.

THIS IS NOT HOMEWORK! :pac:

I am making the UI for a engineering software product which my housemate is trying to make into a business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

jFreeChart is pretty commonly used, it's free (GNU LGPL) and they make money by selling the official developer guide and examples. For what it is, well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 frezzabelle

I use a framework called zk. They have a really snappy charting lib included. It includes some good chart options.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

I've always used the Google chart API's, they use HTTP GET parameters to define the values of the chart. It's not specific to Java though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Thanks for the replies. It's for a desktop application so I cannot use those web framework / API's. I will leave some comments on JFreeChart if I end up using it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I think JavaFX includes charting but it's a cross platform application framework it might be a bit over the top to add it just for charts. But if you're just starting your project it might be worth considering.

• Advertisement

croo wrote: »
    I think JavaFX includes charting but it's a cross platform application framework it might be a bit over the top to add it just for charts. But if you're just starting your project it might be worth considering.

Thanks. I wish I knew about this before I started. It's exactly what I need as my part of the application in the UI. I will look into this for future projects.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Thanks. I wish I knew about this before I started. It's exactly what I need as my part of the application in the UI. I will look into this for future projects.
    I meant to say in my first post; I do some work on an open source business app and includes a little charting for which we use jfreechart for the swing client (we use ZK in the web client) - seems to do all the basics and we have no complaints.

I have used JFreeChart and it's excellent! I had only a few problems. First is that it requires further packages that are not included with the jfree.chart package. One was easily found, I think it was jfree.common. I did not find another, I think it was jfree.util, so I just deleted the classes or methods that needed it. I will have to look for this again as it has the methods which allow you to print the charts or save them as jpg, png files etc.

Still, an excellent package with so much features. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

If you are interested in another option I've used
    JCharts http://jcharts.sourceforge.net/

works on JSP, Servelts and swing apps. I found it very easy to use

Advertisement