Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some places to eat in: Tokyo/Osaka/Okinawa

• 06-10-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Right Folks :D

Anyone got some specific recommendations for restaurants in Tokyo, Osaka and Okinawa ? We're heading over shortly and I'm already dying to get my belly filled with okonomiyaki again !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hey there,

I haven't lived in any of those places, but I have been to Tokyo and Osaka a few times, although not Okinawa yet! I think they are all such big places however, that giving specific names/places would be difficult. So I'd say just wander and find somewhere random, which is half the fun anyway! While doing this, try to try all the different foods available. You may know, but for eg. ramen, yaki-niku, yaki-tori, sushi, tempura etc etc..

There are some great sushi and tempura places in Asakusa in Tokyo.

And, if you're going to Osaka, go to Kyoto too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I'll be posting here later! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In general, there's a few chains that are easy to find and always provide delicious treats. CoCo Curry House is heaven for the katsu curry fan (that would be me), and I'm a sucker for cheap, delicious Gyodon restaurants, which you'll find on every block in the country :P

More specifically, sushi breakfast in Tokyo fish market is the single greatest food I've ever had the pleasure of eating. I'm not sure the exact name of the restaurant I've been to (has an animated chef), but there's a row of 'em and I'd imagine they're all pretty damn good.

Asakusa is where I have usually stayed in Tokyo, and there's some delicious restaurants up there. During the day, the path to the shrine there has all sorts of delicious street food - yakatori, octo-balls (takoyaki), daifuku. If you turn right at the entrance (facing it) and walk down that street there's also plenty of delicious restaurants. There's one place, maybe half way down the block, across the road from the shrine, that does absolutely delicious 'men' (I think that's what they call it) - noodles that you can dip in your own broth. Basically make your own ramen.

Osaka I actually can't really recall any specific restaurants that are worth visiting. A tonne here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g298566-Osaka_Osaka_Prefecture_Kinki.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

In general, there's a few chains that are easy to find and always provide delicious treats. CoCo Curry House is heaven for the katsu curry fan (that would be me),

Me too! CoCo Ichi Curry is feckin unreal.. eat it twice in one week and you'll be in for some heart troubles though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

hey hey I posted a response in the Region > Abroad > Japan forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74641381#post74641381
    )

A must is to head for the Tsukiji Fish Market. Make sure you go early in the morning ie 6/7am and see the auctions of the Cod etc amazing experience.
    Also bring extra money as you will HAVE to get some fresh sushi, there is easily 20sushi shops, very small, very compact, you get t osee the chef making it right infron tof you, so grab a chair and enjoy. All well stocked and with the freshest fish, and made by some of the most experienced chefs. This will not be cheap though, but very very tasty and enjoyable.

On a side note wouldn't that forum be more apt for discussions on all thigns Japan rahter than the language forum?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Kokusai Street (main thoroughfare) in Naha, Okinawa has loads of cheap and tasty restaurants. Try pig's ear or the local seaweed delicacy.

Ultimately, the best place for okonomiyaki is Hiroshima but you can find it all over the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

On a side note wouldn't that forum be more apt for discussions on all thigns Japan rahter than the language forum?

We take what we're given and we work with it :P They haven't asked for moderators of that forum but they did for this one.

We'd be looking at some way to integrate them all in the future hopefully - if there's enough demand!

Zauo Restaurant

This is a pretty cool restaurant with branches in different spots. I went to the one in the Washington Hotel Shinjuku and had a good time!

The Lock Up

Another fun place, this time in Shibuya.

There's a whole host of other gimmicky places that are really good fun and worth a visit. Depends what you're looking for. There's so many great restaurants over here you will be spoiled for choice. I'll come back and post more when I get a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

some good ideas there folks :D I got in contact with a guy from Oki and he recommends Pizza in the Sky (http://www.travbuddy.com/Pizza-in-the-Sky-v189326) sounds like fun !

believe it or not I'm actually looking forward to some ready2go meals from Lawsons !

Really liking the sound of the LockUp restaurant and I'll defo hunt down a CoCo Curry House !

For a quick fast food fix; (not my normal thing) I recommend Mos Burger. Delicious and doesn't go through you like certain franchises. Allegedly, etc.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    For a quick fast food fix; (not my normal thing) I recommend Mos Burger. Delicious and doesn't go through you like certain franchises. Allegedly, etc.

They do proper chips too!

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but for Japanese fast food restaurants you can't beat Matsuya, Yoshinoya and Sukiya. They're everywhere. You get a massive bowl of rice with meat/vegtables/sause on top, salad, a bowl of miso soup and free tea and water all for about 3 euro!
    Sukiya would be my personal favourite as the have a cheese option on top!

Giruilla wrote: »
    Hasn't been mentioned yet, but for Japanese fast food restaurants you can't beat Matsuya, Yoshinoya and Sukiya. They're everywhere. You get a massive bowl of rice with meat/vegtables/sause on top, salad, a bowl of miso soup and free tea and water all for about 3 euro!
    Sukiya would be my personal favourite as the have a cheese option on top!

Your 3 euro wouldn't be getting much in Sukiya these days but it's cheap enough alright.

Tristram wrote: »
    Your 3 euro wouldn't be getting much in Sukiya these days but it's cheap enough alright.

Not with the current exchange rate anyway...

Actually must be pretty expensive to go on holiday to Japan from Europe at the moment. If you got to an Irish bar a pint is gonna set you back at least 9 euro!!

Not with the current exchange rate anyway...

Actually must be pretty expensive to go on holiday to Japan from Europe at the moment. If you got to an Irish bar a pint is gonna set you back at least 9 euro!!

Certainly the imported European stuff will be the most expensive. Stick to national/ local brews.

Which reminds me, check out Orion beer when in Okinawa. Lovely stuff.

Certainly the imported European stuff will be the most expensive. Stick to national/ local brews.

Which reminds me, check out Orion beer when in Okinawa. Lovely stuff.

Seriously a pint of Asahi or Kirin in an Irish bar in Tokyo will cost at least ¥900 to ¥1000.

Orion beer is great! can be hard to find on the mainland though!

Seriously a pint of Asahi or Kirin in an Irish bar in Tokyo will cost at least ¥900 to ¥1000.

Orion beer is great! can be hard to find on the mainland though!

Hmm, Paddy Foleys? Dubliners? Yeah, it is steep with the Yen being so strong. I think I'll stick with half pints next trip :D

There's actually a Japanese restaurant in Islington, London that serves Orion - I was delighted because I normally can't find it outside of Okinawa, as you point out!

Hmm, Paddy Foleys? Dubliners? Yeah, it is steep with the Yen being so strong. I think I'll stick with half pints next trip :D

There's actually a Japanese restaurant in Islington, London that serves Orion - I was delighted because I normally can't find it outside of Okinawa, as you point out!

They're the places yeah! think it can be hard to find the cheap places if you go as a tourist for just a week.

On the subject of beer... a 330ml can of Asahi in kaiten sushi in dublin costs 6.50 e!

They're the places yeah! think it can be hard to find the cheap places if you go as a tourist for just a week.

On the subject of beer... a 330ml can of Asahi in kaiten sushi in dublin costs 6.50 e!

Holy crap! I can get a pint of it here for £3.80 in my local!

As regards the aforementioned pubs, there's nothing wrong with them, they're good craic but it's worth trying Japanese bars - different set up but I find them welcoming. Admittedly, it's the missus who has to do all the translating in my case but it's worth searching them out.

There's an unusual old school American bar in Naha, "Bar Dick", worth a visit & don't let the unusual name put you off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thread moved to the Japan forum :)

• Advertisement

Beer is just plain expensive over here if you are drinking in pint volume. Wallet certainly takes a hit on nights out.

going well so far ! managed to grab 2 pork okonomiyakis with some Kirin beers last night. Tasted soooooo good

0e6f5205.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Caybar

Sorry not Japanese food but really good grub..

First is a chain of Chinese restaurants called Xi'an. They have a couple of restaurants dotted around the Tokyo/Yokohama. Order a bowl of "Ma Ra Men" Really tasty and a good hangover cure!

Google translated version of their website

Discription of Ma Ra Men

Second one is a falafel place called Pita the Great in Akasaka, probably my favorite place to go for lunch, if you're in the area i highly recommend it!

Pita the great Review

Japanese food wise, i'd just pick something you want to eat, Curry, Sushi, Yaki Niku, Tempura, Gyuudon, ramen, and find the nearest place that sells it, the standard of food here is pretty high so you cant go wrong!

If you're going to Osaka, i'd recommend making the short trip to Kobe (bout 20 mins on a local train) and shelling out for some Kobe beef! You may as well sample it at the source!

Just back from Coco Curry house. Awesome food, real comfort food to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

I think they've become almost obsolete these days.. and if they are there pretty sure you need one of the passmo cards to buy beer too!

24 hour konbini is rarely 100 metres away anyway!

ondafly wrote: »
    Just back from Coco Curry house. Awesome food, real comfort food to say the least.

Good to hear you enjoyed it! I'd murder a katsu curry with cheese from there right now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Yeah but I prefer beers with company rather than the side of the road ;)

• Advertisement

so a bit of an update on my diet so far in Okinawa :pac:

we hit Yoshinoya the other night - not blown away to be honest

a8d88281.jpg

tonight we went to some barbieQ style place - basically raw meet, and you cook it yourself - great craic altogether ! although we were practically doing smoke signals from our table at one stage.

41801bea.jpg

I'm also turned into a sucker for heading to a Lawson/Family Mart late at night

6e04fdc8.jpg

but remembering to avoid certain sections :pac:
    4cddbc07.jpg

Advertisement