Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some places to eat in: Tokyo/Osaka/Okinawa

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Giruilla wrote: »
    Good to hear you enjoyed it! I'd murder a katsu curry with cheese from there right now..

Pop into the local Asian market, pick up some curry roux, Japanese rice and red ginger.

Pop into your local meat reseller and buy some breaded chicken fillets (M&S do nice ones).

Cook.

It does the job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

ondafly wrote: »
    so a bit of an update on my diet so far in Okinawa :pac:

<snip>

Ha, cheers for the photos! Dare I ask what exactly the dish in the first photo is...? >_>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Konata wrote: »
    Ha, cheers for the photos! Dare I ask what exactly the dish in the first photo is...? >_>

It's gyodon (aka beef bowl).

Of all the things I miss, that's top of the list :( You just can't make it to great the same standard (or lack thereof, depending on how fussy you are :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

sure :D Beef something or other on top of rice. Not great, reminded me of a stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

It's gyodon (aka beef bowl).

Of all the things I miss, that's top of the list :( You just can't make it to great the same standard (or lack thereof, depending on how fussy you are :P)

It looks a bit manky tbh >_< What's in it?

• Advertisement

It looks a bit manky tbh >_< What's in it?

Beef (or pork, if you misinterpret the menu, which is easy), rice, onion usually. Plus delicious seasoning.

It's the heartiest fast food around. That and a bowl of curry rice. Yummy. The culinary equivalent of a hug. And a hug that costs 500 yen for a big ****-off bowl of the stuff. The backpackers dinner of choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Pop into the local Asian market, pick up some curry roux, Japanese rice and red ginger.

Pop into your local meat reseller and buy some breaded chicken fillets (M&S do nice ones).

Cook.

It does the job ;)

Ha, I'll have to try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

so a bit of an update on my diet so far in Okinawa :pac:

we hit Yoshinoya the other night - not blown away to be honest

Oo that looks like a rough yoshinoya! I'd prefer Matsuya or Sukiya myself for gyudon, but yoshinoya does good tempura. Anyway I'm sure it tasted ok and for the price its not so bad!

I used to love those salty squid snacks in the pic! Go great with beer..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Giruilla wrote: »
    Oo that looks like a rough yoshinoya! I'd prefer Matsuya or Sukiya myself for gyudon, but yoshinoya does good tempura. Anyway I'm sure it tasted ok and for the price its not so bad!

I used to love those salty squid snacks in the pic! Go great with beer..

Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

In Shinjuku, if you can find "Sizzler," up the top of that building(50th or 60th floor) there's a marvelous Japanese restaurant which is actually very reasonably priced. The food is great and the views are stunning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Well we made it to Pizza in the Sky in Okinawa, I have to say folks, best pizza I've ever had. There is only 1 choice of pizza, and you can only remove toppings from it. But the place is fantastic, if a little hard to find, and really dodgy to drive up to (think really small 1 car wide roads, with drops on either side.)

The menu
    8c4c3ee3.jpg

The pizza - forgot to photo it before wolfing it down :pac:
    56ad3845.jpg

And a quick video of the view, but also listen to the sound of the cicadas

We're in Tokyo now though, and we've already made a return journey to CoCos - and stepped it up a level on the spices :cool: We went to the one in Akihabara, and of course I've done a bit of retro shopping while there

4934d2ea.jpg

52c07cb1.jpg

Got my ass handed to me on Street Fighter in HEY arcade after that DOH !

Last night we headed to a Japanese boozer for some beers and yakitori. The food was sooooo good, and the place was mental busy, great fun though.

8a159eed.jpg

Spotted this in 7eleven on the way back :eek:
    4939f886.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

we hit Yoshinoya the other night - not blown away to be honest

You realise it's a fast food joint, right? Like the Japanese equivalent of McDonald's.
    but remembering to avoid certain sections :pac:

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it - that dried squid and cuttlefish is savage with a few beers!

The sound of the cicadas brings me back to our trip to the islands off Okinawa; it's an amazing experience when you first hear them.

Taiwan & Japan next year - yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Anyone got some specific recommendations for restaurants in Tokyo, Osaka and Okinawa ?

Murphy's Bar, Shinsaibashi, Osaka, of course!

octo wrote: »

Going to Irish bars in Japan?!

Heresy!

Going to Irish bars in Japan?!

Heresy!

Not at all! It's a bit of fun. Tadgh's in Kyoto is my latest discovery. Independent brewers (local), microbrews, great atmosphere and a far cry from the Dubliners chain (which I still enjoy).

I also drink in traditional Japanese bars as well - it's kind of a running joke with me and the missus - wherever we are abroad we like to check out an Irish bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

this place is great

http://www.gonpachi.jp/en/casual/home/index

ate that the Minato-ku one a few times and I think it has something to do with the Kill Bill movies.

Probably considered touristy but food was really good and a good place for larger groups.

Advertisement