Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the studio fix equilivent of 2w1 (sand) in double wear?

• 06-10-2011 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

As said above, I'm looking for the exact same shade as double wear in sand, but i want the studio fix foundation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Yumee

I would say in the liquid nc30 or nc35. Iwear DB sand with studio fix powder in nc35.. Works for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

The temptalia foundation matrix lists mac (mac shades in general, studio fix could possibly run a little lighter or darker) to double wear equivalents as:

NC20 = Pale Almond
    NC25 = Sand
    NC30 = Sand / Tawny
    NC35 = Sand / Tawny
    NC37 = Tawny / Wheat

http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix

So as you can see it should be somewhere between NC25 - NC35. Did you mean to say Studio Fix (the compact) or Studio Fix Fluid (liquid). If you meant the liquid one then definitely ask for a sample before you buy. If it's the compact then I'm not sure if you can get samples of it but hopefully you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

nc25-35 sounds very dark! im extremely pale!
    Its the studio fix liquid, getting some brought back from america

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Estee Lauder divide their shades up as W(arm), N(eutral) or C(ool). MAC shades are either W(arm) or C(ool), so I would have thought a MAC NW shade would be a closer match for and EL W shade than NC...?
    NC15 and 1N1 are very similar in that they are both just a smidge too dark for me, but that's not much use to you! Best bet is to duck into BTs if possible and have a look.

Cch:
    Most companies say:
    C = Cool = Pinkish toned
    N = Neutral = Neutral toned
    W = Warm = Yellow toned

Estee lauder double wear follows the above and within most shades have each of the three tones (sometimes even more than one varitation of that tone) eg. their first shade in each tone is: 1c1 shell, 1n1 ecru, 1w1 bone.

Mac for whatever reason do things in reverse and as you said do not have a neutral shade - only cool or warm SO:
    NC = Cool BUT MEANS YELLOW
    NW = Warm BUT MEANS PINKISH

Therefore if you're cool in ELDW (or most other foundations for that matter, then you'll be NW in mac. And if you're warm in ELDW then you're NC in mac.

Playgirl:
    Yes NC25-35 would be very dark. I would describe myself as extremely pale and cool toned and the lightest ELDW shade 1c1 Shell used to be a perfect match for me (I need to lighten it with white now I've managed to get even lighter) but mac studio fix fluid in nw15 was always far too dark for me. I'm not familar with Sand in DW but if its the right shade for you then I can't imagine you'd be extremely pale, just maybe fair.

Here's I think all the dw shades, hopefully the mae sense ordered like this:
    1c1 shell
    1n1 ecru
    1w1 bone

2c1 pale almond
    2n1 desert beige
    2n2 fresco
    2n3 chamois
    2w1 sand

3c1 pebble
    3n1 ivory beige
    3n2 canvas
    3w1 tawny

4c1 outdoor beige
    4n1 wheat
    4w1 shell beige
    4w2 henna

5n1 softan
    5w1 bronze
    5w2 rich caramel

6w1 rich ginger

As I said, I haven't used 2w1 sand. However, I have used 2n2 fresco and 3n1 ivory beige (with fake tan) which should both be pretty close. So my guess would be 2w1 sand = NC20. I could be way off and that doesn't follow the temptalia guide but thats what I would guess. If you're near a mac counter I'd still say get a sample in case.

• Advertisement

That might explain why I was never 100% entirely happy with the shade of any MAC foundation I've ever tried!! So their approach is to use the opposite of whichever base your skin is to neutralise it? Pink undertones needs yellow and vice versa? Whereas everyone else advocates matchy matchy? Apart from Bobbi Brown and all that yellow obviously :D

I have no idea why mac do it the opposite way, all I could think of was maybe they see the actual colour pink as being warm and yellow as being cool.. doesn't really make sense. I would imagine if they didn't already have all their names in place across the brand then they might do it the other way.
    cch wrote: »
    So their approach is to use the opposite of whichever base your skin is to neutralise it? Pink undertones needs yellow and vice versa? Whereas everyone else advocates matchy matchy?

I get what you're saying here but I think you misunderstood something: mac just name their shades the opposite way around so they still do the matchy-matchy thing, they just refer to it differently. For example if I went in to Mac and told them I was looking for a foundation and that I'm cool toned (pink) they would hand me an NW shade (even though this stands for warm it's actually pink/cool toned).

C = NW (cool, pink toned)
    W = NC (warm, yellow toned)

So in other words mac just put their letters backwards to other brands. Since you're neutral in the double wear you might have more luck with the opposite shade to what you tried in mac. On the other hand mac nw15 was way too dark for me so maybe you'd be the same. Have you ever tried DW in 1c1 shell or 1w1 bone? The reason I ask is because 1c1 shell is lighter than 1n1 (even though they're supposed to be the same light just different tones) so it might be better for you or maybe too pink? Are you more on the pink side or yellow side of neutral? If you've typical irish skin then you may lean more towards pink. Also, I'm mentioned 1w1 bone as I've heard DW neutral shades are actually a bit peachy toned and warm shades are more yellow 1w1 bone could actually look more "neutral" on.
    Apart from Bobbi Brown and all that yellow obviously
    Lol I haven't tried any Bobbi Brown foundations and won't be anytime soon by the sounds of that! So hard to get pale foundations though!!

So in other words mac just put their letters backwards to other brands. Since you're neutral in the double wear you might have more luck with the opposite shade to what you tried in mac. On the other hand mac nw15 was way too dark for me so maybe you'd be the same. Have you ever tried DW in 1c1 shell or 1w1 bone? The reason I ask is because 1c1 shell is lighter than 1n1 (even though they're supposed to be the same light just different tones) so it might be better for you or maybe too pink? Are you more on the pink side or yellow side of neutral? If you've typical irish skin then you may lean more towards pink. Also, I'm mentioned 1w1 bone as I've heard DW neutral shades are actually a bit peachy toned and warm shades are more yellow 1w1 bone could actually look more "neutral" on.

Hang on, so are you saying for my, yes, typically Irish pink skin that I should go for a warm, peachy/yellow base to balance the colour out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was wondering how my Studio Fix and Double Wear matched up, but on the Double Wear (Light) bottle it only says Intensity 1.0. What shade is that in the C/W etc range?

Hang on, so are you saying for my, yes, typically Irish pink skin that I should go for a warm, peachy/yellow base to balance the colour out?

Lol no, sorry I guess I'm not explaining myself very well. I'll start again.

Ok, people generally have 3 skin tones. These are pink (known as cool toned), yellow (known as warm toned) and neutral (known as neutral toned). Foundations are made in varying shades (light to dark) and tones (pink, yellow or neutral). You are supposed to pick the tone of foundation that matches your own skin tone ie. if you have pinkish skin you'd pick a pinkish foundation (I do find it an interesting idea that the opposite tone might neutralise your own tone but I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually recommend that you do this and I find pinkish foundations look better on my pinkish skin).

When you're picking a foundation shade they will sometimes say on the bottle whether they're cool (pink), warm (yellow) or neutral. Some foundations only have cool and warm tones and others don't mention if they're cool, warm or neutral at all so you need to look at the colour yourself and figure out if it looks more pink or more yellow.

Now this is where mac is different. They do state their 2 tones on the bottle: NW (which stands for neutral warm) and NC (which stands for neutral cool) BUT NW is actually their cool pink foundation and NC is their warm yellow foundation. So in other words, even though the letters NW stand for neutral warm, it's actually their cool foundation.

So in your case since you said you do have typical pale irish pink skin, you should be wearing cool toned (pink) foundations in most brands. In Mac you'd still be wearing the cool toned (pink) foundation, it's just named NW.

Since you also said 1n1 in double wear is slightly too dark for you, I would definitely ask for a sample of 1c1. It's pinker (hopefully not too pink for your pinkish skin) and a little lighter so might be a better match for you. It's great foundation so I think it would be worth seeing.

Hope all this makes more sense... I'm not too great at being concise! :D
    Malari wrote: »
    I was wondering how my Studio Fix and Double Wear matched up, but on the Double Wear (Light) bottle it only says Intensity 1.0. What shade is that in the C/W etc range?

With the normal Double Wear there are a lot more shades and within each shade there's 3 tones (sometimes there's even 2 variations of that tone). With Double Wear Light I think there's only 6 shades and no tone option. So Intensity 1.0 is the lightest shade and there are no alternative tones. I'm not sure what tone it actually is as it's not marked on it so you'd have to have a look at the colour yourself and see which you think it is. It may well be fairly neutral.

• Advertisement
Advertisement