Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Divemaster Courses

• 06-10-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

I did an open water and advanced diving course approx 7 years ago in Thailand. I absolutely loved every minute of it... One of the best experiences of my life.
    I planned to continue training here, but let the day to day drudge take over my life and I have pretty much only had one dive, and not a good one, since.

I have recently began thinking about getting on the road again (i have some time on my hands) and have a few questions about it.

1) Course length. I've seen different lengths for these courses. From a 7 day one in Waterford to 1-2 months in a lot of other places. Is there any standard? Doesn't seem like you could get all the dives into 7 days to be honest.

2) Course respect. Are the courses respected everywhere as long as it is paddi recognised. I'm thinking of returning to Thailand or somewhere similar to do this. I'm not sure yet, but I would like to think I would carry on to the dive instructor level. If I later wanted to instruct in say, Oz, would it matter where I did my courses?

3) Prerequisites. Obviously there are a number of other courses I need to do before hand. The rescue and first aid ones. Should I perhaps do those here before going, or just organise to do those with the same place as the divemaster one.

4) Any other advice?
    Like places to do the course, things to consider etc etc

I haven't decided yet if I will do this, just a thought right now.... But it is something I loved and always hoped I'd continue.... Now seems to be a good time for it. Appreciate all advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would worry about a school that would do it in 7 days tbh (may be confusing it with the master diver). Mine took a month and even then the Instructor was not overly keen to do it with me (but was all the time I had). I would say 1-2 months would be a good lenght of time depending on how busy the dive school was. However in your case you have 8 logged dives?
    You would need to get over 50 (correction??) before you could be a divemaster.

If it is PADI cerified it is recognised world wide

I would do the EFR (first Aid) before you go but you can do the rescue out there. Some schools will include the rescue in an internship. It only takes a few days anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would worry about a school that would do it in 7 days tbh (may be confusing it with the master diver). Mine took a month and even then the Instructor was not overly keen to do it with me (but was all the time I had). I would say 1-2 months would be a good lenght of time depending on how busy the dive school was. However in your case you have 8 logged dives?

If it is PADI cerified it is recognised world wide

I would do the EFR (first Aid) before you go but you can do the rescue out there. Some schools will include the rescue in an internship. It only takes a few days anyway.

I've done 10 dives, although the Irish one wasn't logged in my book so may not count. So ya, very low dive count right now.
    Some of the places I've seen so far do require a min of 20 dives to start the DM course. The rescue would surely entail 5/6 dives at least. I could also do a refresher course and a few standard dives prior to the rescue one to get me warmed up.

Actually, I just remembered I did a few dives in koh Tao as well after the course. Only remembered when I came across this site. Seems like a pretty good setup and prices.
    http://www.simplelifedivers.com/scubainternshipsthailand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

jimbling wrote: »
    I've done 10 dives, although the Irish one wasn't logged in my book so may not count. So ya, very low dive count right now.
    Some of the places I've seen so far do require a min of 20 dives to start the DM course. The rescue would surely entail 5/6 dives at least. I could also do a refresher course and a few standard dives prior to the rescue one to get me warmed up.
    With that few dives I'd definitely recommend a few more before doing the Rescue Diver course first. I thought 20 dives was the minimum for Rescue Diver not DM

I'm in a similar boat in that I have 19 dives and am eager to do the Rescue dive course. Time/money permitting and also need to brush up since its about a year since my last dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Prerequisites for starting the DM course are:

PADI AOW Diver
    PADI Rescue Diver
    >18 years old
    20 logged dives
    EFR Primary & Secondary Care within preceding 2 years
    Medically evaluated & cleared fit for diving by a doctor within preceding 12 months.

These are absolute minimum.

The DM course itself can be done as an Internship or via a quicker accelerated programme. More than one instructor has told me that they wouldn't hire a DM that had done the quick version if they had a choice between them and someone that had done it as an Internship. I've also heard of instructors that won't teach the accelerated version.

My advice to you at this point would be to get diving. Courses are only one part of diving education; experience is vital. Find a dive centre convenient to you (What part of Cork are you in?) and start there. Get some dives under your belt, and you might want to think about doing a specialty or two. Try to get a balance between formal training and informal experience.

At this point in your dive career, I would seriously doubt that any centre would be willing to take you on as a DM trainee. I'm not trying to discourage you, just being realistic.

The DM course is very rewarding, and I recommend you do it when you're ready, but I think you're not yet. In the meantime, the Rescue course is great craic to do and is probably the single most worthwhile continuing education course that PADI do.

All the best,
    L-M,
    Divemaster, W. Cork.

• Advertisement

The DM course itself can be done as an Internship or via a quicker accelerated programme. More than one instructor has told me that they wouldn't hire a DM that had done the quick version if they had a choice between them and someone that had done it as an Internship. I've also heard of instructors that won't teach the accelerated version.

I've been doing a bit of research on that all right and if I do this I will go the internship route all right.
    My advice to you at this point would be to get diving. Courses are only one part of diving education; experience is vital. Find a dive centre convenient to you (What part of Cork are you in?) and start there. Get some dives under your belt, and you might want to think about doing a specialty or two. Try to get a balance between formal training and informal experience.

At this point in your dive career, I would seriously doubt that any centre would be willing to take you on as a DM trainee. I'm not trying to discourage you, just being realistic.

Well, as I mentioned in the previous post there, I'd plan to get dives and the rescue course done in the build up, so should easily be able to meet the min requirements.

Also, take a look at the courses in the link in the last post. Tell me what you think of them. Those courses take you from beginner, so I'm sure they'd take me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

In the meantime, the Rescue course is great craic to do and is probably the single most worthwhile continuing education course that PADI do.
    +1
    Every experienced diver I've talked to has echoed this comment

Yes, I've heard that about the rescue coarse as well. But wouldn't it be okay to include that as part of the dive master course.... As in complete the rescue course as part of the internship as well?

The only reason I can think of doing it separately is to gain experience of doing these things in different places, for different experiences etc.... And not do all your training in one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Jimbling I am no longer a scubie but just wondering why you wqnt to do a DM? Is it to eventually become an inst? or just to get more knowledge. Imho just dive dive dive is the only way. If its to become an inst do a lot more dives before you even start looking imho to see if its what you really want. I love instructing but it is work no two ways about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

1) Course length. I've seen different lengths for these courses. From a 7 day one in Waterford to 1-2 months in a lot of other places. Is there any standard? Doesn't seem like you could get all the dives into 7 days to be honest.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Prerequisites for starting the DM course are:

Yes there is a standard. The quickie courses are aimed at experienced divers who just need the certification. Anyone else who takes part in them is just cheating themselves. I've come across divers with 100+ dives who only have the OW or AOW from PADI (some with, some without certification from other agencies) . Divers with that sort of experience would probably fly through a 7 day DM course. Divers without that sort of experience may come out with a certification, but still need to get dive experience. Essentially their qualification is useless to them.
    Yes, I've heard that about the rescue coarse as well. But wouldn't it be okay to include that as part of the dive master course.... As in complete the rescue course as part of the internship as well?

The only reason I can think of doing it separately is to gain experience of doing these things in different places, for different experiences etc.... And not do all your training in one place.

Yes it would. Doing them all together is very common.
    2) Course respect. Are the courses respected everywhere as long as it is paddi recognised. I'm thinking of returning to Thailand or somewhere similar to do this. I'm not sure yet, but I would like to think I would carry on to the dive instructor level. If I later wanted to instruct in say, Oz, would it matter where I did my courses?

Yes, courses are respected everywhere but a diver at the level of DM who wants to make any sort of money from diving (full or part-time) would be gauged more on their personal experience and actual ability than the quality of dive centre from which they received a qualification. In other words, like others have said above, you should dive dive dive. Aim to fill your logbook, not stack up the certification cards. Get good at diving and the rest will follow very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

Hi , I would think you'd be best just doing the rescue and first aid /cpr courses .
    Been a dive master is not all it's cracked up to be ,and you'll find you'll be even learning marketing tips from padi !
    Dive centres tend to try use dm's as free labour .leave you filling tanks etc.
    Unless when you travel you plan on working in the dive industry ,save your money for just diving!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Jimbling I am no longer a scubie but just wondering why you wqnt to do a DM? Is it to eventually become an inst? or just to get more knowledge. Imho just dive dive dive is the only way. If its to become an inst do a lot more dives before you even start looking imho to see if its what you really want. I love instructing but it is work no two ways about it.

2nd this, go out and enjoy diving for awhile & honing in on your skills, there are so many scenarios with each dive, guaranteed you'll learn something each time you go out. And you can always ask questions each dive from more experienced people, most divers LOVE talking about diving & giving tidbits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I have to agree with the last couple of posts.

You need to have the experience to back up your courses. I have worked in the industry managing centres and I'm afraid that paying for a trained DM, unless you were bringing some other serious skills to the table, is practically unheard of. DM's are 10 a penny.

My advice, get in with a centre near you. Once you get your rescue done and start your DM with the internship option. But you need to do more than just the bare minimum of the internship. You should be trying to get as much water time as possible.

Take your time to achieve your goals. Firstly, becoming an DM/ Instructor is fun but it is a very tough industry to work in full time. Pay is pretty poor but travel opportunities are good. Secondly, those DM's/ Instructors that have the bare minimum experience can be spotted a mile away. We all have to start somewhere but before you put yourself out there get as much experience under the guidance of another OWSI/IDCSI/CD as you can. You will learn so much more that cannot be thought on a course but it all takes time!

Best of luck and happy diving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

My 2c echoing the previous posters. If its a goal you want to get yourself motivated, look at achieving the Master Scuba Diver qualifiction. 50 Dives, Rescue + EFR and 5 Specialities.

I initially looked at doing my DM. But decided to just get diving. I don't regret it. Doing a DM (particularly a fast track DM) means all your dives are focused on one thing and you get very little time to go on "fun dives". It can suck the enjoyment out of diving. Also why spend money on a course you may not use? Do you plan to become a DM with a view to leading dives at particular club? As unless you are diving local sites regularly there is very little point in DM-ing.

As you may have lower certed divers with better experience on the site than you have! Also cold water diving is a hell of a lot more difficult than warm water. Get your dives in and find out do you enjoy it!

Also + 1 on rescue diver course. Its brilliant.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've done some research and put some thought into it and agree with ye. I think I'll let this go for now. Might just go on a Dive holiday in the new year if I still have the time. Maybe do a rescue course all right.

Thanks again.
    J

Advertisement