Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i allergic to tattoo ink?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

hey

so i got a tattoo a year ago (1st and only one) down my ribs, all was fine with healing etc etc but every now and again its really itchy and irritating and then it goes - i thought at 1st it was to do with clothing ie maybe bra too tight etc or maybe wash powder but i think im possibly allergic to the tattoo ink? which sucks cos i wanted to get a few more

but has anyone had this, obviously my body has no choice but to deal with it lol but other than moisturising etc is there anything i should do :confused:

im a bit gutted if i cant get any more

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ask yer doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 donnabrenton

go to a doctor...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A friend of mine has the same problem, not to the extent where he's had to visit a doctor or anything, but certainly enough to annoy. The bad news is it can last a long time, i know one quite detailed black and grey piece he got was itchy on and off for probably 2 years! Hasn't stopped him getting more done though. Maybe try some eurax cream? (i think that's what its called anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

you may or may not be allergic to the ink , artisdts use different ink , cheap inks would usualy have this problem but their is no harm going to your local gp to find out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

To be honest I'd expect my local G.P, or indeed most doctors, to be fairly clueless on this if it's genuinely a tattoo-related issue. But I'm open to correction.

If it was an allergic reaction to a particular colour ink I would have expected it to manifest way earlier. Personally I struggle to heal red. It turns out ok in the end, but compared to other colours it feels like my body has to work twice as hard to heal it.

Itching after a year though, with the OP's tattoo being healed, sounds like a different problem.

One possibility here that I've experienced (at least, the symptoms matched), and heard of semi-frequently, has to do with ink migrating, sometimes after months, and collecting in lymph nodes. I'm no dermatologist but my understanding is that some ink pigments contain heavy metals or minerals which can move from the tattoo location and accumulate in lymph nodes and solidify. If they're too big they aren't carried away - and this can result in a surprising itch.

I got it when healing one side of my chest, months after the piece had healed. There was no sign of any inflammation, no redness... It felt like it was well underneath the skin. It persisted for a few weeks on and off and then vanished.

• Advertisement
Advertisement