Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 12 - What the hell?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

So I should start by saying I'm only just returning to the world of console gaming, and have let the whole world of video games pass me by over the last 7-8 years.

Anyway... I just had an Xbox 360 and a bunch of games delivered today, and I just felt like venting here about how Fifa 12 is the biggest crock of schitt I've ever come across. I got it instead of a PES game because it was part of the deal that came with the Xbox.

I ended up taking out my old PES games for the original Xbox, just to make sure I hadn't just turned into some anti-gamer old fart, and I actually enjoyed playing the old Pro Evo 4 (2004) for a bit. Then I found a super-old FIFA 95 for the megadrive and had a fun laugh with that.

Even old games like those are 10x better than this travesty of a game.

Sure, it's nice to have all the player names, jerseys, sponsors, etc... but there is absolutely nothing about the gameplay that I can say I enjoy.

It's slow, the players don't run or turn smoothly, the passing and off-the-ball running AI is awful, and general "realism" of the physics and gameplay just doesn't feel right to me.

Not to mention that the game doesn't even come with a booklet!

Is this just me? Or is this game really that bad?

I've also just been playing F1 2011, Fable 2 and 3, Dead or Alive 4, and a couple of shooters, and haven't had a problem with any of them (other than just being a rusty gamer)... but with FIFA, I am actually angered by how bad it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

carlcon wrote: »

Is this just me? Or is this game really that bad?

It's just you. It's getting pretty much the best reviews I've seen a FIFA game get from reviewers and gamers. Haven't played it myself, but the consensus seems to be that it's great. Not the best way to judge a game necessarily but it's averaging 91 on metacritic.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

must say i feel very mixed about this..only got it there yesterday..so by sunday the glamour of it should have worn off and then I'll really know how i feel.. your right though AI is brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

NotorietyH wrote: »
    It's just you. It's getting pretty much the best reviews I've seen a FIFA game get from reviewers and gamers. Haven't played it myself, but the consensus seems to be that it's great. Not the best way to judge a game necessarily but it's averaging 91 on metacritic.

If this is true, and this is the kind of game people want these days, I might as well just give up right now.

I'll give it a chance and play a season, but the chances are I'll be heading straight back into the shop for a trade-in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

its soccer games in general these days. pes is sh*t now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

thing with FIFA is you are expected to do an awful lot more than just control the basics like before, the player controls requires using extra buttons. getting players to run off the ball is controlled by you. there is so much to be learnt that the first time players like I was get lost.

tactical defending doesn't work and the disparity between semi pro and pro is too big but generally its quite a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

PES 5 on PS2 is still the best footie game ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

... how Fifa 12 is the biggest crock of schitt I've ever come across.

I've also just been playing F1 2011, Fable 2 and 3, Dead Or Alive 4, and a couple of shooters, and haven't had a problem with any of them (other than just being a rusty gamer)... but with FIFA, I am actually angered by how bad it is.

Forget about Virtual Men In Shorts 12 and just play Virtual Boobies 4 instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It's really just you - its an excellent game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/fifa-soccer-12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Best football game in years!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

FIFA isn't the problem, its you've been away from gaming 7/8 yrs, the manual is on the disc, learn the tutorials, play some practise matches to hone your skills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I don't think it is you. I was a big fan of Fifa 11, but 12 has just gone arseways.

The tactical defending is woeful. I kind of feel that they made it more difficult just to make it different. I have to turn to turn on legacy just to get through a game.
    The support AI is still poor. For virtual footballers they really fail to run into space.

Im also disliking the rag doll. When combined with the poor AI it really causes some frustration.
    I also feel hard done by as a fan of a smaller club. This was the same in the last version and unfortunately hasn't changed. The stats seldom reflect the lesser known players.

That is after 3 days. I will continue to give it a try, but the appeal of playing against the computer (intermediate) is dissipating with each game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

best football game ever made

No matter how many new moves and controls I learn, it's still slow, clunky, and has terrible physics. Watching Ashley Young "sprint" is bloody hilarious.

And I know the main appeal has nothing to do with the management/career sections, but they're also horrible. Terribly unrealistic pricing and nogotiating, along with a very peculiar way of gaining stats for a career player.

I understand it's all about opinion, but you lot who think it's the "best ever made" are quite simply wrong. It's one thing to like it, I won't be arsey enough to say you shouldn't like it... but to think it's the best ever? Madness.

The PES games have always had the better gameplay, that's not even up for discussion. FIFA always won credit from the novelty of having the sponsorship, but when it comes to just playing a nice game of computer footie, the FIFAs lack so much.

And I don't care too much for magazine ratings either. They were dodgy in the 90s and 00s when I played, so I don't plan on trusting them now.

From the responses I've gotten elsewhere and here, it's about 60:40 in favour of ignoring FIFA 12 altogether.

deathrider wrote: »
    Forget about Virtual Men In Shorts 12 and just play Virtual Boobies 4 instead :D

Ha yeah, don't get me started on that too. It was only €6 on gamestop when I was ordering my Xbox, so figured it couldn't hurt to have it...

...it does. :pac:

Crosáidí wrote: »
    FIFA isn't the problem, its you've been away from gaming 7/8 yrs, the manual is on the disc, learn the tutorials, play some practise matches to hone your skills

I understand the point, and I'm definitely going to give it more time... but I've played a bunch of other games I've been away from for years too, and they've all impressed me in terms of progression from their originals. It's only Fifa that has made me react like this.

You're totally right that I need to learn more about it before I completely abandon it, but it's not rocket science... it's just a football game. It shouldn't take a lot of effort to "find the good things" if it's really that good.

Just to give an example, one of my last "favourite" games on the old Xbox was Fable. I picked up 2 and 3 with my Xbox 360 and they have literally made me laugh to myself at how much better they have become. I compare this FIFA to a football game from 5, 10, 15 years ago, and I see no relevant improvements at all when it comes to gameplay. They've added more things, sure... but they just make the game fidgety, and far from smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No matter how many new moves and controls I learn, it's still slow, clunky, and has terrible physics. Watching Ashley Young "sprint" is bloody hilarious.

And I know the main appeal has nothing to do with the management/career sections, but they're also horrible. Terribly unrealistic pricing and nogotiating, along with a very peculiar way of gaining stats for a career player.

I understand it's all about opinion, but you lot who think it's the "best ever made" are quite simply wrong. It's one thing to like it, I won't be arsey enough to say you shouldn't like it... but to think it's the best ever? Madness.

The PES games have always had the better gameplay, that's not even up for discussion. FIFA always won credit from the novelty of having the sponsorship, but when it comes to just playing a nice game of computer footie, the FIFAs lack so much.

And I don't care too much for magazine ratings either. They were dodgy in the 90s and 00s when I played, so I don't plan on trusting them now.

From the responses I've gotten elsewhere and here, it's about 60:40 in favour of ignoring FIFA 12 altogether.

Having been away for '7-8 years' I have to say you've missed a lot, and it has been up for discussion on which FIFA the last 3 or 4 years has mostly been judged the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This comment shows your haven't played in a while. If you don't like the new game, you arent alone. But this remark is just so offbase its scary.

The last 4 Fifa's have been lauded as far superior in nearly every category by the extreme majority....even by PES fanboys. Pes 6 was the last good Pes game. Konami have made it progressively worse every year since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

FIFA

It's not just you, but I think the problems you mention are the singleplayer game which is crap. I'm not a regular FIFA player so can't compete at the Pro difficulty while the Semi-Pro is far too easy, as the opposition AI doesn't even run. Give it a try with a mate or two or venture online for proper gameplay as the bugs in the career mode with growth and telepathic AI interceptions will ruin soloplay in the longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

The PES games have always had the better gameplay, that's not even up for discussion.

Actually that's changed too over the last few years. That was true up until a point, but it got a stage where PES stopped innovating and the FIFA team rebuilt the game from the ground up starting with FIFA 09 roughly I think it was.

PES is no longer regarded as the better of the two by most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Having no proper booklet/manual in the case pissed me off too.

Getting sick of all these games coming out with just a leaflet saying "In-Game Manual" and some terms and conditions. The smell from a new booklet of a freshly opened new game case is the same as the smell of a new book.

If that makes any sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Having no proper booklet/manual in the case pissed me off too.

Getting sick of all these games coming out with just a leaflet saying "In-Game Manual" and some terms and conditions. The smell from a new booklet of a freshly opened new game case is the same as the smell of a new book.

If that makes any sense...

Also confused by that one. Sometimes they're interesting to flick through. Also, considering the new button changes for FIFA12, it would be handy to have close to hand for some people.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You got old son. Games got more complicated too.

You don't get arcade games like there used to be that you could just pick up and start playing. They've all got learning curves and expect you to dedicate time to learning them, there are some games I'd love to be playing I just don't have the time to dedicate to them.

You just have to spend the few hours it's going to take to get back up to speed. Of course you'll never quite get there now that the arthritis and dementia is setting in.

Helix wrote: »
    best football game ever made

Its not the best football game ever made it's the best Fifa ever made, but that's not hard as anything from FIFA 11 back is total garbage bundled together for the Sky generation.

Sensible soccer
    football manager
    Pro Evo 3,4,5

Are all far better Football games. Hell Pro Evo 5 on the original Xbox is still the best football game out there, no one has ever come close to beating it not even Konami themselves.

This years FIFA, while a vast improvement still has way too many issues to be getting the scores it is getting. Tactical defending doesn't work, its a valiant effort to try something different as defending has always been suspect in all the games but the AI defenders mark space not the ball or player, cardinal sin in defending. They tried to remove "X" pressing but now all people do is press with an AI player using R2& L2, its the same thing except not you have two players closing you down and neither are as functional.

The physics engine is brilliant for tackling but if the ball hits your defender he stops dead instead of clearing it!! Vision engine is class.

Lots about FIFA 12 is brilliant but it is still plagued by its silly past, players can do too many stupid tricks, the first 6 games i played i thought they had cracked it and built the best game so far, but 25 games in the problems are starting to become glaringly obvious. 40 games in and they are ruining every match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

PES 5 on PS2 is still the best footie game ever

Couldn't agree more!!

Fifa 12 is better than every game you mentioned there. Comparing sensi to it is laughable, footy manager isnt close to like for like and the early pes games were mind blowing at the time, but light years behindvanuthing on the market these days

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sensible soccer
    football manager
    Pro Evo 3,4,5

Not a chance. Sensible soccer was great back in the day but it's like comparing Space Invaders to Gears of War 3 now, you can play it for about 20 minutes for a nostalgia blast but that's about it. Anyway Goal! was the much better game back then anyway.

The old Pro Evo games are in the same situation, they were great at the time but trying to go back to them now just leaves them feeling dated, simple and more like pinball simulators than football.

Football Manager is a totally different game and would be like comparing GTA to Sim City.

FIFA 2012 really is the best football game yet. The Pro Evo '12 demo is a big step forward for a series that lost its way mind you.

I think there's an element of snobbery about FIFA because it's got the EA licencing and marketting jugernaut behind it, and because for so long it wasn't as good as Pro Evo. Those days have long passed now though and FIFA really is a brilliantly crafted game with near limitless replayability and depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Football games haven't made the jump to this generation very well unfortunately.

I've been playing them from the beginning - Kick Off, Sensi, ISS etc. and every generation up to this one has evolved the genre.

I was a big fan of PES when it reached it's pinnacle on the PS2 but really it's lost it's way since then. Konami have been too afraid to do anything other than minor tweaks and at this stage it's horrible.

FIFA was always playing second fiddle until recently (c.2008) when EA bit the bullet, got in some new staff and rebuilt the game form the ground up. It's still not much better than the current PES.

I've given up buying football games for the last couple of years as they jsut aren't worth it and I'm not surprised the OP is having this reaction to the latest FIFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

Football Manager is a totally different game and would be like comparing GTA to Sim City.

Love it!! :D

Not a chance. Sensible soccer was great back in the day but it's like comparing Space Invaders to Gears of War 3 now, you can play it for about 20 minutes for a nostalgia blast but that's about it. Anyway Goal! was the much better game back then anyway.

The old Pro Evo games are in the same situation, they were great at the time but trying to go back to them now just leaves them feeling dated, simple and more like pinball simulators than football.

FIFA 2012 really is the best football game yet. The Pro Evo '12 demo is a big step forward for a series that lost its way mind you.

I think there's an element of snobbery about FIFA because it's got the EA licencing and marketting jugernaut behind it, and because for so long it wasn't as good as Pro Evo. Those days have long passed now though and FIFA really is a brilliantly crafted game with near limitless replayability and depth.

Its not snobbery Fifa do a great job of recreating the Sky match you see on the TV they just can't capture playing a real match, this is what Pro Evo 5 had right and why so many people still consider it the best game.

Also GTA is a third person open world game, sim city is a micro management god game. It would be closer to compare Sim city to Tropico. Of which Sim City is still better.

Sensi soccer is still genius i played it for hours last night on my SNES, it still stands up.

• Advertisement

Fifa do a great job of recreating the Sky match you see on the TV they just can't capture playing a real match, this is what Pro Evo 5 had right and why so many people still consider it the best game.

thats so far from reality its insane

no game has EVER come close to the level of simulation on offer with fifa 12. its closer to a real match than youll ever get. i think the issue here is that people seem to be under the illusion that it should be arcadey. you can't have your cake and eat it... if you want it to play like a sim then you cant have the arcadey pes feel you want

Advertisement