Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 12 - What the hell?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Helix wrote: »
    Fifa 12 is better than every game you mentioned there. Comparing sensi to it is laughable, footy manager isnt close to like for like and the early pes games were mind blowing at the time, but light years behindvanuthing on the market these days

Not really once you look past the graphical advances the game engine hasn't come on an awful lot, in fact Pro Evo's one has gotten worse, Fifa have tried to improve and credit must be given to them but they are still held back by their idiotic past. You have Plymouth Argyle players who can do Ronaldo step overs, and chest a really fast moving ball down from head height with one touch !!

Fifa 12 is a huge step forward from Fifa 11 which was total garbage. Now if you want a game that recreates watch footy on TV then Fifa is your game, if you want a game that captures playing in a real match then Pro Evo 5 is the last game to do that.

The managerial mode in Fifa is a great addition but very limited something like football manager is miles better but that's expected as its a dedicated managerial game rather than a mode within a overall package but still a valid point.

Go To Options and turn off Tactical defending.

I felt the same as you until i did this. The Game plays alot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

what on earth are you on about man, the game engine has come on a huge amount. it's unrecognisable from even 3 years ago.

heres a shocker for you, plymouth argyle players CAN do ronaldo stepovers, they're not hard to do. they can also chest down fast moving balls too. however like reality, the engine means they can't do it properly all the time.

pes 5 doesnt come close to a real match, the fact that you keep saying it does is nonsense. it's a game from the last generation that plays like a game from the last generation. it's not a sim, it's an arcade game. that doesnt capture real football. sounds to me like you want fifa street or something, coz you haven't a breeze of the difference between a footie sim and an arcade game

the fact that you say fifa 11 was garbage just renders your opinion worthless imo. sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

what on earth are you on about man, the game engine has come on a huge amount. it's unrecognisable from even 3 years ago.

heres a shocker for you, plymouth argyle players CAN do ronaldo stepovers, they're not hard to do. they can also chest down fast moving balls too. however like reality, the engine means they can't do it properly all the time.

pes 5 doesnt come close to a real match, the fact that you keep saying it does is nonsense. it's a game from the last generation that plays like a game from the last generation. it's not a sim, it's an arcade game. that doesnt capture real football. sounds to me like you want fifa street or something, coz you haven't a breeze of the difference between a footie sim and an arcade game

the fact that you say fifa 11 was garbage just renders your opinion worthless imo. sorry

Since my opinion is worthless ill just leave this conversation with you so, i'm only here for a chat about games not to be talked down to.

Just for the record i don't want Fifa street i want a game that can recreate what it was like for me to be on the pitch playing, like i did at a reasonable level for a long time rather than what its like to watch a game on TV. Pro Evo 5 even though you think its arcadey was the last game to capture that, something Fifa has never been able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Having no proper booklet/manual in the case pissed me off too.

Getting sick of all these games coming out with just a leaflet saying "In-Game Manual" and some terms and conditions. The smell from a new booklet of a freshly opened new game case is the same as the smell of a new book.

If that makes any sense...

What's a booklet? I read about one once on my Kindle.

• Advertisement

thats so far from reality its insane

no game has EVER come close to the level of simulation on offer with fifa 12. its closer to a real match than youll ever get. i think the issue here is that people seem to be under the illusion that it should be arcadey. you can't have your cake and eat it... if you want it to play like a sim then you cant have the arcadey pes feel you want

I've never watched a game of football where the same players keep running into each other and falling over... or where it was deemed "tactical" to jockey a player for 50 yards before stepping aside when he takes a shot (see shoddy AI - on all levels).

Plus the physics of how the ball moves is far from accurate. This is my largest concern of the lot. The ball moves so slowly most of the time, especially when it's in the air.

I want a better word, but the one that keeps coming to mind regarding FIFA 12 is "Sticky". If someone told me the creators meant to make a game where the players, pitch and ball were covered in goo that hindered their speed and performance, then I'd totally think "Oh right, that explains it!".

And finally, thanks to you lot who have made me, a 24 year old, feel about 70! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

I'm not going to go into the "best game of all time argument" but I have a few observations to make. I've bought both FIFA and PES on PC over the last 6 or 7 years. I always played PES more, not necessarily because it was better, but because for some reason FIFA invariably gave me a headache - literally - when I played more than one or two games. I have no idea why this was so. Last year I bought an xbox and FIFA11 and bought PES for PC. I played FIFA far more often and enjoyed it more than PES.

This year I bought FIFA12 on release day and so far I am somewhat disappointed. The new defensive system is strange and takes getting used to but I'm improving. I think it's easier to find and make space offensively which I like, but less easy to score, and the goalies are maybe less superhuman (no bad thing). The penalty system is a disaster, and I find it almost impossible to score with a header or from a set piece. All of these can be positives or negatives depending on what you want from the game.

What seems to have gone backwards big time is the AI. Playing against the computer I find , several times in a game, I can jockey an opponent from almost on my end line almost the full length of the pitch where he then kicks the ball out of play. Passing is hit and miss, I will aim at a player for a pass and the player passing regularly tries to pass to a totally different player, usually hidden behind an opponent, or even in a different direction or the player being passed to stands waiting while an opponent cuts out the pass and other issues. So far I haven't tried online because I want to get the hang of defending first and I've played weaker computer opponents but not enjoying it anything like as much as FIFA 11.

Maybe I will like it more as I play it more, but right now it's frustrating. I will probably buy PES too but the demo isn't giving me a whole lot of hope. Overall for me FIFA 11 is still a better game, at least for now.

I'm trying a Career mode where I just control one player now just to mix things up a bit to help me find things I like.

Would REALLY help if any of you have a control guide, since the in-game game gives no info at all about what the symbols are above my head.

I don't know if I'm calling for the ball, or telling my team I'm marking the opponent on the ball, or anything like that. I just see a head silhouette, or a "B" or "A", depending what I press.

I understand the yellow arrows are telling me I'm out of position, and the red circles show who I should mark, but other than that, it's far from obvious.

Not having a full control booklet is just silly, especially since the in-game thing barely covers half of what you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

As a long time PS1 and PS2 PES fanboy, I have been let down by all PES on the PS3. Not one is anywhere near the high standards set by PES on the earlier consoles. I didn't switch to FIFA overnight though. FIFA 09 was enjoyable, especially Virtual Pro but the gameplay felt sluggish and too predictable. Last year FIFA 10 was €4 second hand so I bought it. That was me sold on FIFA. Didn't buy FIFA 11 but PES 2011. Sold PES 2011 2 months later because FIFA 10 was so much more enjoyable. PES was an arcadey game with stupid animations and ball physics. I boguht FIFA 12 now and have gotten into it completely. At first it seemed a little sluggish, but all the best PES were sluggish until you got into them, so now that I have gotten into it I think it is class. It is so realistic and has such a 'random' feel to the gameplay e.g. dribbling with the ball straight at a defender automatically meant you would be tackled but now you might nutmeg them, get tackled, be able to tap it deftly past them etc. FIFA 12 is full of this. Online play is obviously far superior to PES, and the game modes (Virtual Pro, Career and Ultimate Team) are also engaging. The authenticity, though not a huge negative aspect to PES, is a huge positive to FIFA. Playing a Ligue 1 match really feels like a Ligue 1 match you watch on the tv, likewise with an English League 2 match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I enjoyed FIFA 10, didn't really enjoy either of the two games last year (Pro and FIFA 11) and have bought this year, and I can't put down pro evolution and couldn't give a **** about Fifa for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the defending is a bit suspect this year. heard theres a way to change it back to the old way is this true ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

ricero wrote: »
    the defending is a bit suspect this year. heard theres a way to change it back to the old way is this true ?

Go into settings, then xbox 360 controller and change defending from tactical defending to Legacy defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 conormac

Ok here's an aside. Surely the World XI selection is some kind mistake, is there any way of changing the team? I think Messi might have more of a right to be there than Carrick...

Overall, I think the game will be an improvement on previous versions once the new controls become instinct rather than effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Some of the AI stuff is chronic in the demo anyway. Defenders running into each other and taking other out leaving a big gap for the computer to play into. I'm crap at all video games but Semi-Pro is nearly too easy while Professional is far too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I cannot defend to save my life in FIFA 12, but for the first time ever, some people can't defend against me. I'm scoring in losses now. Real goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well. Not real goals, obviously.

I've found the games saving grace; you can improve the players pace, their shot speed, and quality of keepers.

They're all set to 50, and you can increase or decrease each between 0 and 100.

I've made everything faster and keepers better. Has improved the realism dramatically for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

carlcon wrote: »
    I've found the games saving grace; you can improve the players pace, their shot speed, and quality of keepers.

They're all set to 50, and you can increase or decrease each between 0 and 100.

I've made everything faster and keepers better. Has improved the realism dramatically for me.

Have you played online at all? Thats where the fun us, playing against the computer is no fun at all

Here is a quick defending tutorial which really helped me alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=talBIzfcvIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I got Fifa 12 for iPad 2, playing Manager Mode it keeps crashing. I usually go through the first 2-3 games, then all of a sudden it starts "Saving" and get stuck there and there is nothing i can do about it. I tried re-installing the application but have the same problem :(
    Any advice?

• Advertisement

Been giving Player-Manager career mode a go just to try find some positves.

After having to dish out a huge wage rise and a ridiculous signing on fee to keep Welbeck at United, his contract went to -1 years and he disappeared from the game after that season ended.

This game is a crock of schitt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

hate the game and im a big fifa fan. im trading the bastard in tomorrow for arkham city. fifa 12 takes the fun out of football video games

what is the best fifa then? 10 or 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

glasso wrote: »
    what is the best fifa then? 10 or 11

11. For me games are about enjoyment and I enjoyed FIFA 11, 12 is just frustrating. It may be a great game if you're an expert but it's not fun, for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

FIFA 12 is easily the most realistic soccer sim out there.

As someone who just got back into real soccer, the button lag emulates the brain to foot lag perfectly, as does the I didn't fcuking mean to pass the ball there simulation.

I did get laughed at when I tried the jockeying stance I learned from FIFA 12 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DY2011

Solution to your problem = PES12. FIFA has been like that since 2008 came out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

...ah sure they've been going downhill since FIFA International Soccer on the Megadrive.
    FACT!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Big into football games and made I've had the last 3 Fifa's and PES before that. Have to say though this one is terrible, got rid of it yesterday because I was sick of the glitches, the controls changed at the start of every match, my own players were taking each other out and suddenly crosses were no longer automatically aimed from the side of the box, this was among other things.

Gonna give it a few months to see if they fix it all with patches or if I go back to PES.

Big into football games and made I've had the last 3 Fifa's and PES before that. Have to say though this one is terrible, got rid of it yesterday because I was sick of the glitches, the controls changed at the start of every match, my own players were taking each other out and suddenly crosses were no longer automatically aimed from the side of the box, this was among other things.

Gonna give it a few months to see if they fix it all with patches or if I go back to PES.

In terms of the crossing, the setting by default (for me anyway) was MANUAL, and it also reset to it a second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I can see where the OP is coming from. Up until a few years ago I used to buy a football game every year- that all stopped with the travesty that was PES2009. It wasn't necessarily the fact that the game was garbage either, but it reflected a whole new way the games were being made on this generation of consoles. I have not found the new FIFA games entertaining in the least, even though I have friends who seem to absolutely adore them.

I'm away from home now, with a PS2 and a copy of PES6, and I can honestly say I would choose it over anything coming out these days. Myself and my mates have great craic with 8 goal matches and terrible commentary (HE HAD TO GET THERE AND HE DID). I don't know why, but I suppose I never adapted to the newer football games. I think the main reason is the bigger emphasis on realism. Playing the latest FIFAs for me is like playing or watching a real football match. It's too in-depth for my tastes. You can pick up a PS2 version of PES or FIFA and it's like an arcade game, there's instant gratification.

Both have their good and bad qualities, I suppose it just depends on what you're looking for in a sports game nowadays.

/oniononmybelt

Advertisement