Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dana only 5%? My analysis of all the candidates.

Options
  • 06-10-2011 8:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

I feel sorry for Dana getting only 5% of the vote, and I feel disappointed at people in Ireland for voting this way.

Here is my analysis of the other candidates:

Sean "a safe pair of hands" Gallagher: I've never liked this man. I think he is all talk, all flashiness, claims to have been working class. I believe he's going into the job purely for the easy existance, income and the perks.

Mary Davis: Big on mental health, suicide awareness, disability awareness. Received many big payments herself from a state body. Has the charisma of a saucepan. A total pen-pusher if you ask me. Would be at the feet of european beurocrats in no time and still smiling and rationalizing every decision she made as a good one.

Michael D. Higgins: Would be my second choice after Dana. But for one he's too old. People can go downhill very fast after they reach 70: falling asleep all the time, memory loss, it's very sad. He may be behaving himself now but god only knows when he'll decide to pull out "a little poem I wrote i nGaeilge".

Martin McGuinness: I don't believe anyone who was a militant member of the IRA should become president. He doesn't talk very well either, he doesn't look like someone that intelligent.

Gay Mitchell: Has a bit of a servile disposition, I find it hard to imagine him fighting tooth and nail for anything. Didn't say anything that would make me want vote for him.

David Norris: Had potential but has come off as a bit of a joke recently with all the controversies. He claimed to Trinity that to continue working there was "untenable" and so claimed thousands in disability payments, while he was working for the senate and now he wants to run for president? He would have to give all his disability benefits back to even be considered for me. The state provides at least 95%+ of Trinity's funding, any other people who provided it also wouldn't be happy to see it being used on dubious disability payments. Are you codding me...

Dana Rosemary Scallon: Will fight for the constitution of Ireland to be upheld and not eroded away by Europe and the upcoming European Constitution. Has the experience of being in the European Parliament and knowing how it works. Brings important issues to the fore. At least she stands up for what she believes in, isn't a penpusher. I never dreamt I would be supporting Dana before this started, now I think she's about the best candidate there. She expresses herself well, her voice may be a bit tender but she uses it to great effect. She is the type of president we need to have as so many beurocrats are pushing us more and more into europe. She was also clearly the smartest person on that absolutely stupid All-Ireland Talent show. She is really strong.

How can you turn her down in this field of otherwise almost comically bad candidates?

So I'm just wondering, is there any real weakness in Dana or bad action she's taken, a legitimate reason to hate her, or is this all just a throwback to her eurovision song contest and the new elitist liberal order that loves to sneer at old Ireland and welcomes our new european overlords?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I feel sorry for Dana getting only 5% of the vote, and I feel disappointed at people in Ireland for voting this way.

Sean "a safe pair of hands" Gallagher: I've never liked this man. I think he is all talk, all flashiness, claims to have been working class. I believe he's going into the job purely for the easy existance, income and the perks.

Mary Davis: Big on mental health, suicide awareness, disability awareness. Received many big payments herself from a state body. Has the charisma of a saucepan. A total pen-pusher if you ask me. Would be at the feet of european beurocrats in no time and still smiling and rationalizing every decision she made as a good one.

Michael D. Higgins: Would be my second choice after Dana. But for one he's too old. People can go downhill very fast after they reach 70: falling asleep all the time, memory loss, it's very sad. He may be behaving himself now but god only knows when he'll decide to pull out "a little poem I wrote i nGaeilge".

Martin McGuinness: I don't believe anyone who was a militant member of the IRA should become president. He doesn't talk very well either, he doesn't look like someone that intelligent.

Gay Mitchell: Has a bit of a servile disposition, I find it hard to imagine him fighting tooth and nail for anything. Didn't say anything that would make me want vote for him.

David Norris: Had potential but has come off as a bit of a joke recently with all the controversies. He claimed to Trinity that to continue working there was "untenable" and so claimed thousands in disability payments, while he was working for the senate and now he wants to run for president? He would have to give all his disability benefits back to even be considered for me. The state provides at least 95%+ of Trinity's funding, any other people who provided it also wouldn't be happy to see it being used on dubious disability payments. Are you codding me...

Dana Rosemary Scallon: Will fight for the constitution of Ireland to be upheld and not eroded away by Europe and the upcoming European Constitution. Has the experience of being in the European Parliament and knowing how it works. Brings important issues to the fore. At least she stands up for what she believes in, isn't a penpusher. I never dreamt I would be supporting Dana before this started, now I think she's about the best candidate there. She expresses herself well, her voice may be a bit tender but she uses it to great effect. She is the type of president we need to have as so many beurocrats are pushing us more and more into europe. She was also clearly the smartest person on that absolutely stupid All-Ireland Talent show. She is really strong.

How can you turn her down in this field of otherwise almost comically bad candidates?

So I'm just wondering, is there any real weakness in Dana or bad action she's taken, a legitimate reason to hate her, or is this all just a throwback to her eurovision song contest and the new elitist liberal order that loves to sneer at old Ireland and welcomes our new european overlords?

The constitution can only be amended by way of referendum. The president can't do anything about it. So how exactly do you expect her to defend the constitution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

LOL

Im going to take the higher ground here and just say that shes a complete wreck the head. Total bible waving package.

What i find amusing is the high percentage Martin McGuinness is achieving in the poll while most people will deny that they are going to vote for him. Almost like they are afraid to support him publicly. he may well win it solely through the complete disillusion felt by most people.

Dana hasint a snow balls chance in Hell of winning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I don't think the talent show would manage without her thus it would be unfair of me to vote for her in the election as it would deprive the kids who watch it. I could'nt do that to them...:(

I'll be voting for her. :) I think a lot of people are put off by her unabashed Catholic faith and championing of traditional/family values - in other words, what would have helped her thirty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sean Gallagher has a much better handle on what people want and need than Dana. She's invented this imaginary threat to the constitution and that little book waving exercise doesn't fool anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Dana? FFS, like we need a president who thinks whe should be ruled by rome. We have had enough children abused and enough oppression visted on our population by now to be sure of one thing - The Catholic Church should have NO ****ING SAY in the running of this country anymorel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

At least when she does not get elected, she can return to the US on her US passport, which she got by renouncing under oath her Irish citizenship.

BTW how any one can claim to protect a constitution they renounced under oath I do not under stand.

Also the Times in their story said a judge in the US said Dana was not forthcoming with the truth under oath.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1007/1224305390909.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

I have to disagree with you on 3 points here;

Sean Gallagher is far from just in it for the easy existence and money, out of all the speakers the other night he came across with a great point. Why do you have to be a politician to become president? He is right you don't have to be, the things our president do for the country bear little on any decisions on the state. The Dail decides what the country does and doesn't do. He makes the point and a correct one that the job is about flying the flag all over the world and raising interest in Ireland. This in turn gets multi nationals and tourists in etc. When you look at all the candidates Sean seems the best choice his only blemish in my eyes is his connection to FF.

Martin McGuiness is a very good public speaker and comes across very intelligent when speaking. He wouldn't be my first choice but I think he will do very well. The only thing that will stop him getting in is the relentless assault by FG which will brainwash the usual undecided folk. FG and Gay have been the most disheartening thing about the election, another candidate steps in which poses a strong threat and its panic stations. Start the mudslinging. I'm sick of hearing MMG was in the IRA he's a murderer etc etc. The public know very well the history of MMG Gay, could you shut up and give us a reason to vote for you? After all its not Gay's choice who becomes president its the peoples.

Dana? Seriously? She is exactly the candidate you should not vote for. Her as president would have us in rewind to the 60's, she would be off expressing her out dated views all over the world and doing nothing to attract people to our country. What has she ever done apart from being thrown in the faces of the public week in week out by her pals at RTE over the years. Is there a show she hasn't been involved in? This campaign just shows how disillusioned the woman is that people would like her to be president. She doesn't tick any of the boxes i'm afraid and she will get less than 5% in the election!

Rte should be wound down also, as much as I hate VB, he has much better coverage than them clowns in Rte which were FF's PR station and now cause their pals are gone and not coming back they are FG's PR station. I think Rte's coverage will weigh heavily in this election and it will be the only reason you will see Gay and Dana getting any votes at all as some people believe anything they hear on the telly as sworn oath(we see rte apologizing for ruining a priests life last night). Sickens me that it is paid for by the tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

She didn't renounce her Irish citizenship, and nor did I when I became a naturalized American citizen. The only way you can renounce Irish citizenship, in fact, is to file a declaration of alienage with the Irish Minister for Justice.

I bet a lot of Irish people wish they had a U.S. passport right about now.[/Quote]

While I agree she is still an Irish citizen, and did not in fact complete a document of alienage as per section 21. I do assume she swore on oath the required oath of allegiance.

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Can I have yours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

There has already been ex-militant members of the IRA as president, that horse has long bolted.

He's intelligent enough to be First Minister of the North and attract foreign investment. Looks can be deceiving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kaiser2300

First. McGuinness not only had enough political acumen and negotiation skills to convince the republican movement into accepting the peace process. But he was also shrewd enough to get the DUP and Paisley (the original Dr. No) to share power with Sinn Fein. If that’s not political genius I don’t know what is! Secondly. Your imbecilic analysis of the other candidates proves that you wouldn't recognise intelligence if it bit you on the arse. Go back to reading your bible and your imaginary friend. If you and your ilk had its way, the country would still be ruled by the paedos in the pulpit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just to clarify - Norris didn't say his job was untenable - TCD did. Nor did he recieve any disability benefit. Trinity requested that he relinquish his post and let his job insurance kick in on the basis of his ongoing disability (which was actual at the time) being permanant as far as the position was concerned. He doesn't owe anyone a thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

alastair wrote: »
    Just to clarify - Norris didn't say his job was untenable - TCD did. Nor did he recieve any disability benefit. Trinity requested that he relinquish his post and let his job insurance kick in on the basis of his ongoing disability (which was actual at the time) being permanant as far as the position was concerned. He doesn't owe anyone a thing.

You are right that it was Trinity College that said his job was untenable. I concede that was an error.

You are objectively wrong that he didn't receive anything called disability benefit. You are also wrong in your suggestion that Trinity didn't pay for it, either directly or indirectly. Trinity paid for it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1005/breaking18.html?via=mr
    http://www.thejournal.ie/norris-received-disability-allowance-because-of-hepatitis-diagnosis-245877-Oct2011/

Maybe if you are trying to make things look good for Norris you can spin it this way or that technically this or technically that. I'm not interested in that, especially since even the Norris camp isn't claiming those things. Norris himself said he received a disability pension - pension/benefit, I fail to see the relevant difference here. And Norris also said he received it "from Trinity College and not the state". I suppose if he claimed something else you'd believe it immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I don't know where this thread is going but it is excellent and I do agree Dana seems to be very commited to the constitution but IMO is too biased on social issues to be president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I have defended her a number of times against some of the more ludicrous commets, but realistically, if she did apply for citizenship of the US, then she has no business asking to be elected first citizen of this country. She does not deserve it nor should she continue in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

usually i'd encourage everyone to vote no matter what, but anyone considering a vote for dana please don't waste your time just stay at home

jdooley28 wrote: »
    usually i'd encourage everyone to vote no matter what, but anyone considering a vote for dana please don't waste your time just stay at home

Nobody cares what you'd usually encourage. Your post is a fallacious joke. You're an insult to people who hate Dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

While I have no affiliation with any of the candidates, I see no reason to go back to catholic repression, which is where Dana would like us all to be.

FFS, this is the 21sth century. Why would we want a superstitioius old biddy telling us all to go back to mass or face an eternity in hell as per her USA "gospel shows". The woman is a 'tard and should be ****ed out on that basis alone.

To be honest I think we should have a good one to one interview with an agnostic and herself to see just how ****ing deluded this woman is.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The constitution ought to be massively amended, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Thankfully the majority disagree with you.

Ever day that passes I find I'm less likely to vote for her and really I didn't think it was possible to be less likely to vote for her.

This rubbish she's spouting about Europe really does make it harder for her to get elected. It reminds me of these people...
    heart_constitution.jpg
    And I really dislike Coir. (the same people who while supposedly loving our constitution have repeatedly tried to change it for their own conservative ends).

All changes to our constitution can only be through a referendum. So all the changes must be the will of the Irish people. Does Dana know better?

And forgive me but I'll take "the new elitist liberal order" (whatever that is) over the old catholic backward looking conservatism that Dana represents in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭carveone

meglome wrote: »
    Ever day that passes I find I'm less likely to vote for her and really I didn't think it was possible to be less likely to vote for her.

Only if Jim Corr was running. Brrrrrrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

While I have no affiliation with any of the candidates, I see no reason to go back to catholic repression, which is where Dana would like us all to be.

FFS, this is the 21sth century. Why would we want a superstitioius old biddy telling us all to go back to mass or face an eternity in hell as per her USA "gospel shows". The woman is a 'tard and should be ****ed out on that basis alone.

To be honest I think we should have a good one to one interview with an agnostic and herself to see just how ****ing deluded this woman is.!

Why would we want to vote for someone who describes themselves as a ' Committed Christian ' ? ( One of the other liberal candidates) .
    Fact of the matter is that liberals who would laugh at the idea of voting for an old fashioned catholic like Dana also seem to be amongst the first to defend the rights of strict Muslims to basically treat thier daughters like property .( I dont mean the poster here - this is a general comment )

I see Dana is on the front page of the Irish Examiner today. To me she is coming off as a bit hysterical... nobody called for her to quit, nobody in her family was convicted for abuse, nobody even made these allegations yet. I never said Dana would be the ideal president, but she would at least fight to uphold the Irish constitution and culture and satand up to those in europe - including I assume saying no to things such as GM frankenfoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The-Rigger wrote: »
    The constitution ought to be massively amended, ffs.

+1

The social policies need to be cut out of it big time for all oursakes.

Though I am just after having some smoked salmon and if there is a bit about smoked salmon on Fridays I would be all for leaving that in.

Advertisement