Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutted

Options
  • 06-10-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I suppose this is a vent thread (please hurry with the teenage forum :p)

I got a call from my sons school today,the first time i've ever had a call or anything home regarding his behaviour. I suppose i've been lucky so far. But today got a call to say he has got one day suspension for bringing bangers into school.

Im so let down by him :( Ive explained to him the whys and gone through every picture on the internet of firework injuries. Hes grounded got his pc etc taken away. I've made him write a letter of apologie to the school.

Some times its so hard to be a mum :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You don't mention how old your son is? Have to say, it seems in some ways that his biggest crime was getting caught. Bangers in October is a fairly normal right of passage for Irish school boys. Yes, it's both illegal and dangerous but so long as they weren't being used in a vindictive fashion (to terrorise animals or the elderly etc.) I wouldn't worry *too* much about his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Sleepy wrote: »
    You don't mention how old your son is? Have to say, it seems in some ways that his biggest crime was getting caught. Bangers in October is a fairly normal right of passage for Irish school boys. Yes, it's both illegal and dangerous but so long as they weren't being used in a vindictive fashion (to terrorise animals or the elderly etc.) I wouldn't worry *too* much about his behaviour.

Hes 14. No they werent using them at all just swapping them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Yikes!
    Well fair play to you for holding him accountable and the letter is a good idea.
    Sometimes they just take notions and you wonder what on earth they were thinking or why they didn't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I'd be more gutted that he got caught - what was he thinking swapping them on school premises:mad:

I'm being a bit flippant there Justask - how has he reacted himself? Is he all cocky about it or does he seem in any way remorseful??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Fittle wrote: »
    I'd be more gutted that he got caught - what was he thinking swapping them on school premises:mad:

I'm being a bit flippant there Justask - how has he reacted himself? Is he all cocky about it or does he seem in any way remorseful??

Oh god no not cocky at all he knows he has let me down, we ar very close and as soon as I said you have embarressed me and you have let me down he was so upset. (and me being a big soft ejit I got all upset :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Justask wrote: »
    Oh god no not cocky at all he knows he has let me down, we ar very close and as soon as I said you have embarressed me and you have let me down he was so upset. (and me being a big soft ejit I got all upset :o)

Well that would be how I'd just KNOW that my 'decent lad' was still there, in the body of the hormonal and impressionable 14yr old who's trying to impress his peers:D

You handled it very well and his attitude speaks volumes about this not being the start of something more troublesome...which is what we all worry about!

I'd be more gutted if he didn't care how much he upset you...try to see the positive in this situation;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

It's awful when they let you down. But I'd say it's more awful for them knowing they've let you down. I remember anytime I got into trouble (rarely) as a child, the guilt was worse than anything else.

You did well, you handled it well so once his punishment is over, let it go and move on from it. He's suffered enough ;)

Advertisement