Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test questions

Options
  • 06-10-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I've just done my driving test and failed, which I found odd as I thought I was doing fine and was making sure I paid attention to anything I had problems with in the past. I also passed my pre-test which made it worse.

I'm having problem understanding what the "lack of competence" mark means! Does anyone know I had one on the reverse around the corner and on the checks which I don't understand.

The tester wasn't the politest person in the world and knew I might have problems with him but didn't expect to fail. To make matters worse he said that he failed me because I didn't look confident enough.... did he want me to be cocky and act as if I knew everything??

Can anyone help with the lack of competence question please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shelly818

Sorry but by "lack of competence" i meant the competently box was ticked for the 360 turn and the reverse around the corner, I'm annoyed with those marks because i've never had a problem doing them! :( I didn't mount the curb in either of them, if i had done that i would have understood.... I got 10 grade 2 and not many grade 1's....

I know the rules of the road and i did them with the instructor before hand just to brush up.. During the oral part he was giving me situations that might occur or what I would do if i was at a certain point in the road and asked me how i would react... after i answered one or two he said "only a few words for an answer will suffice"... is that a fair thing to say?? I did say to him that sometimes I work things out by repeating questions to myself and he just said "only a few words are needed to answer"..

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

If you collected Grade 2 marks for Competency for The Reverse you have gone around the corner too wide, far too slowly or a combination of the two.
    Here's what the Tester's Guidelines say:
    Where an applicant hits or mounts a kerb, or goes off course, or makes inadequate progress, or uses excessive speed, or does not make proper use of the controls during the reverse manoeuvre, a fault may be recorded opposite ‘Competently’.

The same mark on The Turnabout could be for doing the manoeuvre in 5 when the road was wide enough for it to be completed in 3 is one example:
    Here's what the Tester's Guidelines say:
    Examples of ‘Turnabout’ faults include:
    (a) Where an applicant hits or bumps a kerb, or makes inadequate progress, or uses excessive speed, or does not make proper use of the controls, a fault may be recorded opposite ‘Competently’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomasoc

the theory test is a money making scam it ask common sense question nd charges ridicously high prices for study material. I downloaded the mobile phone verion which suppose to cost €5 end up costing me €8 in hiden charges and most of all was unable to even get the thing on my phone

tomasoc wrote: »
    the theory test is a money making scam it ask common sense question nd charges ridicously high prices for study material. I downloaded the mobile phone verion which suppose to cost €5 end up costing me €8 in hiden charges and most of all was unable to even get the thing on my phone

If you think that's expensive, wait 'til you actually start driving!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 deniscoulson

Here i failed my driving test just there i got 5 grade 2s and 1 grade 3! I felt the test went well and thought i had passed until i was told i did not observe my left blind spot while reversing around the corner.I'm not aware that that is considered Dangerous driving (a grade 3) for eg pulling out infront of a car or breaking a red! Have i been hard done by?

Here i failed my driving test just there i got 5 grade 2s and 1 grade 3! I felt the test went well and thought i had passed until i was told i did not observe my left blind spot while reversing around the corner.I'm not aware that that is considered Dangerous driving (a grade 3) for eg pulling out infront of a car or breaking a red! Have i been hard done by?

Regardless of the result, if you failed it's best to just shrug it off - you can appeal the result, but it won't get you a licence, you'll still have to sit the test again. I was one Grade 2 over in my first driving test, but thinking back I really shouldn't have passed then, and I think I'm a better driver because of it.

Don't lose faith and apply soon for the second test.

Advertisement