Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning - Tips and Advice Needed

Options
  • 06-10-2011 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I,m going to start weaning my little girl soon and am looking for some tips and advice etc.
    Also, can anyone recommend any good weaning books. I've seen a few on the main shopping
    sites but they're quite expensive, so if anyone knows of any within a skinflints price range,
    I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

The Annabel Karamel book seems to be really popular. I found it great for ideas. I borrowed it from my local library and have seen it in a few branches. There is also a weaning help sticky in the newborn and toddlers subforum.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, there is a good weaning thread in the newborn and toddler forum. Has lots of good tips and advice. Re the book, well anabel karmels weaning book seems to come highly reccomended from pretty much everyone on boards! Why buy it though, get it from your local library, and if your not a memeber then join because its well worth it imo. Also check out anabel karmels webiste, it has most of the info the book does, advice, tips, diet options etc. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've heard the river cottage baby and toddler book is good. I'm considering buying it for inspiration as I'm not very imaginative with meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

pupsy79 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I,m going to start weaning my little girl soon and am looking for some tips and advice etc.
    Also, can anyone recommend any good weaning books. I've seen a few on the main shopping
    sites but they're quite expensive, so if anyone knows of any within a skinflints price range,
    I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Another plus one for borrowing books rather than buying them.

I'd advise not to go with baby rice for first meals (as most books agree with).

Theres a train of thought that says that if babs gets more veg than fruit first, they'll be better veg eaters. I dont know about that, but I went from stewed pears to carrots in a day, then went with mostly veg and my son is a fantastic veg eater (actually, I'm lucky in that he's a fantastic eater full stop).

Don't be afraid of onions/garlic/spices as your child gets older, and its great to get them used to baby versions of your meals too (minus added salt of course).

Trust yourself once you've gained a little confidence, its not too hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd recommend making food lumpier after 6 months. Even if you don't want to do baby led weaning which is about giving mostly finger food and letting baby feed themselves do give some finger foods from 6-7 months. It's quite scary at first (lots of gagging noises) but babies love it and it let's them be independent with their food. Looking at my 8 month old polish off two pancakes and a pear this morning was great. In creche he eats weetabix so I like him to have Something different at the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement