Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

documents from the 1940's onwards, (valuable?) Large pics*

Options
  • 06-10-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Today I arrived home from college only to be greeted with a bag of items that my grandfather had dropped off. I was asked to do some research on how much they are worth if anything at all.

In the bag there was many items including advertisement pamphlets, picture books on the war and britain etc, some church year books from 1943, a newspaper article from the earlier 80's,
    and the ones that interested me most are a map of all the warfronts during WW2 from 1942, an Aer Lingus flight information card from on board a DC3 dated 1955 and a Ration book from 1943.
    Also there was a strange bundle of about 10 envelopes addressed to someone I don't know filled with various bird feathers :confused:

They interested me and it was nice to read through them so I thought Id share them here.
    However my grandfather is wondering if these are worth anything? Do you guys know if they are? Im not sure where else to look at the moment.
    Personally I feel they probably aren't but you never know. I also think they would go to better use in a museum etc.

NZPmg.jpg2bKzQ.jpgiDkHf.jpgvTtGz.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'll give you a tenner for the duvet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm not really qualified, but anything to do with wartime is very interesting. I suggest you ring the National Museum and ask them. I know there is a Department somewhere that takes in interesting documents like letters etc but can't remember which dept. it is. Maybe the British Museum as a second choice?

Sometimes when it comes to history in this country, we are embarrassingly disinterested. I would keep them if Museums are not interested. Anything that tells what life was like at a particular time in history is quite interesting and if not worth anything financially, then definitely for reasons of historical record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This is what I was trying to remember, The National Library of Ireland takes in ephemera, see the link:

http://www.nli.ie/en/ephemera-introduction.aspx

Advertisement