Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoology- HOW did you get your degree/qualification?

• 06-10-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi , I am wondering how to become a zoologist and how people came to be zoologists? I know I would have to do a science degree and specialize but is there any other route that I could take? Also if anybody has any helpful information that would be great. I will have an unrelated (to zoology) Degree from University in 2012, maybe this can give me access to a course? Many thanks in advance for your advice :);):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

In my opinion, it's your job not your degree that makes you a zoologist. A M.Sc in Biodiversity from TCD or an environmental science one or a taxonomy one from Imperial would all help you get some training that would make your employable.

There really aren't many zoologists in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Your best bet would be postgrad. research after you finish your degree.
    Loads of people who work for Government bodies have a zoology PhD. There are also loads of contracting agencies run by senior researchers (often as their own sort of 'side business') who will gather data for universities, public sector bodies etc.
    Its all very fluid really. If you study zoology as your degree you might find yourself more interested in more general environmental biology or interested in evolutionary biology or genetics or a particular animal/group of animals. Just figure out what you're interested in and start from there I suppose.
    Do you mind if I ask what your degree will be in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would actually consider myself more a biologist by education. I completed a joint major in biochem and zoology. I always wanted to be a zoologist but I was adivsed to pursue a degree with more scope. Im currently doing a masters at UCD for my first time attending UCD.

Advertisement