Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hand plane question?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

hi, am looking to put together a set of hand planes, am looking for stanley or record planes, looking for the older secondhand planes in or around the galway area, will do the restoration myself, am a carpenter and have d usual no 4 and no 6 stanleys, with a couple of block planes, record and veritas, have been trying the markets and carboot sales with little sucess, any ideas welcome, thanks !:D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Keep an eye on the free advertising pages (Donedeal/Adverts.ie etc.) - sometimes you will see someone getting rid of a bunch of wood working tools - chances are they'll have planes too but they might not be listed.
    Or you could stick up a wanted ad on the likes of Jumbletown or Freecycle.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I picked up a really nice Record on Adverts.ie which just needed a clean up and sharpen to get it working great. I've also bought 3 Stanleys from bootsales- but they were in bad nick and I had to canibalise some other junk planes for parts, so it's a bit of a lottery and a lot of work, but I do have some nice working planes now. Anytime I've seen better quality block planes (old Record low angle etc) at bootsales they were asking crazy money and just not worth it. If buying from bootsales etc be extra vigilant it's so easy to miss out on some damage or a missing part as the stuff usually on offer is covered in paint, glue and other crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

put an add on donedeal you would be amazed with what people have liein around and think its ****

Advertisement