Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me why people can be so cruel to animals?

• 06-10-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

I would just like to get some opinions from people as to why they think that some people are so cruel to animals.

Not cruel in any particular way, just for instance, I love my animals to bits (2 dogs- one which just rocked up to my house two months ago and has taken over the place!, 2 cats and a horse), however my parents are always screaming at me to get them out and my sister freaks out when one goes near her!

I just cannot understand what people have against animals and it certainly blows my mind that they have practically no rights in this country!

Animals have no voice, like children they are helpless but why is it that people just have no consideration for them!

Is it because humans are carnivores, maybe?

Thoughts?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MiissTL wrote: »
    Hi,

I would just like to get some opinions from people as to why they think that some people are so cruel to animals.

Not cruel in any particular way, just for instance, I love my animals to bits (2 dogs- one which just rocked up to my house two months ago and has taken over the place!, 2 cats and a horse), however my parents are always screaming at me to get them out and my sister freaks out when one goes near her!

I just cannot understand what people have against animals and it certainly blows my mind that they have practically no rights in this country!

Animals have no voice, like children they are helpless but why is it that people just have no consideration for them!

Is it because humans are carnivores, maybe?

Thoughts?

:confused:

It's because animals aren't considered sentient beings. People consider them beasts of burden or simply as food or sport because we have evolved at the top of the chain.
    I'm not saying it's right but that's the way it's been down through the years.
    I hate people who are cruel to animals and I feel that having pets in a family us important because it can help teach children to be kind and also some responsibility in looking after the pet. They're also great companions and give us affection unconditionally (the pets, not the children).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiissTL

Haha I laughed at the last bit about the children!

I see what you are saying and that seems like a very good explanation, however do people not think that maybe, we are all smarter now and to maybe grow up a little in this respect? I know it is likely never to happen, but I am a vegetarian and people think I'm a freak for it. Irritates me. Especially my parents, they will not try anything I am eating, simply because there is no meat in it. So close-minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

it would be a very boring world if everyone thought the same. Just because you love animals does not mean there is anything wrong wit people who dont. With regards to your mother not trying your food, so what? If she someone gave her a duck or a rabbit and she cooked it would you try it? Prob not and that would not make you closed minded ether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

it would be a very boring world if everyone thought the same. Just because you love animals does not mean there is anything wrong wit people who dont. With regards to your mother not trying your food, so what? If she someone gave her a duck or a rabbit and she cooked it would you try it? Prob not and that would not make you closed minded ether

Theres a big difference in not loving animals and being actively cruel to them. I think thats what OP is really getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Humans are not carnivores - they are omnivores.
    And their diet has nothing to do with liking/not liking animals.

Liking something is a personal preference, and as such, there is no catch all explanation. Also, the cruelty you mention is not by any definition of the word actually cruelty, and to be honest, it doesn't actually sound like dislike - your sister sounds like she is afraid of your pets, and your parents sound like they are annoyed by them.

These are the attitudes you can investigate, as these will normally have a root cause, and once you know what that is, you can perhaps do more. But in the meantime, you can lessen the reaction by respecting your families feelings - keep your pets out of the way and away from your sister until you know more.

The question of cruelty is much broader, and again there is no simple explanation for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

maybe people should tackle the problem of people being cruel to other people before we should start worrying about the animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

stevoman wrote: »
    maybe people should tackle the problem of people being cruel to other people before we should start worrying about the animals.

you can't multitask? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

stevoman wrote: »

you can't multitask? :p

very good!:-)

Theres a big difference in not loving animals and being actively cruel to them. I think thats what OP is really getting at.
    but it doesn't sound like anyone is being cruel to the op 'S pets

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiissTL

This was totally not the whole point I was trying to get across... Gave a terrible example.

And kildare.17hmr as for the comment about the duck and rabbit tasting, I am a vegetarian, I won't be the cause of an animals death anymore for my pleasure. However what I was trying to get across is the fact that they won't try what I am eating (E.g. risotto without chicken OMG :eek:) because there is no meat in it... Do you understand what I am trying to say?

• Advertisement

your missing my point. Its their choice not to eat your food just like its your choice not to eat meat! I wouldn't eat a salad without a chicken breast or some other meat in it

Advertisement