Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple press, where to rent?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello all

I have an abundance of apples and I want to make cider vinegar. I am thinking of using a blender as a scratter but I am at a loss as to what to do for a apple press so I'm wondering is it possible to rent one? I'm in the south county dublin area.

I think I also need a vinegar mother or would it 'turn' to vinegar by itself as the apples won't be sterilised.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Eventually it will turn to vinegar, but the addition of an acetic bacteria culture will accelerate the process appropriately.

As for renting a press, if you could get your hands on a juicer it might do the trick (depends on your volume though).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

A press is easy. The scratter is the hard part.
    Google 'cider press how to make' an something will turn up.
    putting enough apples through a food processor will take forever and as to a blender even if you do succeed kiss the blender goodbye.
    I'm going to try a garden shredder this year. Last year I squashed the apples by bashing them in a bucket with a 4x2. Cut the hands off me and was too slow. Not doing that again.
    Might try building one like this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDg-EWYQqE&feature=related
    Best of luck fresh, apple juice is as good as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tommy2bad wrote: »
    A press is easy. The scratter is the hard part.
    Google 'cider press how to make' an something will turn up.
    putting enough apples through a food processor will take forever and as to a blender even if you do succeed kiss the blender goodbye.
    I'm going to try a garden shredder this year. Last year I squashed the apples by bashing them in a bucket with a 4x2. Cut the hands off me and was too slow. Not doing that again.
    Might try building one like this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDg-EWYQqE&feature=related
    Best of luck fresh, apple juice is as good as it gets.

I used the fencepost in a bucket method last year - wore gloves so my hands were fine but its slow hard and tedious. I've ordered one of these this year - I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

I used the garden shredder went through over 50 kg in less than an hour. just washed off the dirt cut the big ones in half. made my owm press from a beer keg with holes drilled in the bottom and slits cut in the sides. put so much pressure on it bent a crow bar!!!

I've ordered one of these this year - I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.
    Oh please do an how long it takes to arive.
    Looking at it do you think a sharpened paint/plaster stirrer would work?

• Advertisement

I ordered it saturday and it dispatched by courier today, should arrive tomorrow.

One review of the pulpmaster I saw said it was seriously dangerous if you don't have the matching bucket (which in the case of HomeBrewWest comes with it, but not always with other suppliers) - ie its a fast rotating blade well capable of taking fingers off. don't know how sharp a plaster-stirrer would be in comparison.

don't know how sharp a plaster-stirrer would be in comparison.
    'Twould be well sharp after I've got at it with a file :D Joking sorta
    Interested in how well the pulpmaster works 25euro isn't bad if it works well enough to go through 6 laundry baskets of apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jjanderton

I also have utilized the garden shredder method once and got quite nice results in the whole the process. If anybody have something better then this then please let me know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I found a place where I could rent an apple press that comes with a cutter I think? Just have to sort out transport to and fro.

How much liquid can I expect from large cooking apples, there are smaller ones as well.

right, did my apples today. The pulpmaster is undoubtedly easier than the fencepost method, but its still damn slow and messy. It took me the best part of an hour to shred ~30KG of apples, the bucket is very small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BiddyBob

I found a place where I could rent an apple press that comes with a cutter I think? Just have to sort out transport to and fro.

How much liquid can I expect from large cooking apples, there are smaller ones as well.
    Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Im a bit lost here,,, I'm guessing you probably have enough apples to make at least 5litres of cider,,,but vinegar???
    I can only manage to use about 250ml of vinegar a year...
    What gives?

Advertisement