Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening gifts

Options
  • 06-10-2011 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey,

My newly arrived niece will be being Christened at the start of November. Its my first time being an uncle, I've absolutely no experience with kids and have also been made godfather. Help!

The Christening will be in the UK, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend places in Dublin for getting baby gifts? The only baby shops I know seem to be for more "practical" baby gifts, and I was hoping to get something for her a little more sentimental (and expensive) then another babygro/dress.

Has anyone even got any ideas of what sort of present a Godfather usually gives? My brother and his wife, and I, aren't the types who'd usually go for something overly traditional like a Christening spoon, and think I'd rather have something nice for her when she grows up a bit, rather than something that will be thrown in the attic after a few months!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

open a bank account for him and put in a 5 or 10 a month if you can afford it or put in a few quid for special occasions.
    I have 2 daughters so they got jewelery as their lasting presents.
    You could ask the parents what they need for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

Thanks! Already tried that, asked my bro what to do and got the very polite answer of taking the time off and expense to travel to the UK for it was present enough!

Still, I'd like to get something extra, are there even any swanky "boutique" style shops for children in Dublin? Anything a bit different or a little more unique than the usual Mothercare style highstreet shops would be great. I'm sure I pass by this type of place all the time, but it seems like I've managed to completely ignore any baby stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, i just had my son christened and recieved a beautiful sliver ornament which has two compartments,one for the first curl, the other for the first tooth. It is beautifully engraved with designs, really unusual. That could be an idea? Also has it been decided who os getting the christening blanket and bracelet? My sonds godmother got his a beautiful christening bracelet. It wasnt the traditional bangle type but a curb chain link with a little identity tag with his name and d.o.b. It actually fits my wrist so will obviously fit him for a long time. Both gifts really were beautiful. Most people will get clothes as gifts so you could go with something like this instead as part of your gift. And maybe also get some toys, as they probably dont have alot of toys yet? It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. My brother did godfather for my son and wanted to open a bank acc, long story short-that wasnt possible, so i did it and he lodged money and has it set up so money is deposited into the acc each month. Also a really nice idea, which im sure my son will be delighted with when he gets old enough to appreciate it. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

Thanks, I like the idea of setting up the bank a/c, and then maybe getting something small aswell. I might see how I'd go about setting up such in the UK through my bro :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you set it up in your name and his and transfer it to him when he is 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

i would say godfather/mother usually gives silver, our daughters godfather got her a bangle with her name an date of birth on it and godmother got first tooth & curl boxes (all silver) ans i also go my godson a silver bangle! but have to say my daughters christening was a few weeks ago and the best present i got was tickets to dirty dancing the musical! my cousin figured the lil one already got loads of presents that she got one for me i have to say i was delighted cos i wasnt expecting it at all!!

Advertisement