Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water pump

• 06-10-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭

Has anyone come across a water pump that will suck water rather than push water? I have a river 300 - 400m from farmyard - Council have installed a water metre a few years ago and its costing me over a grand a year (used to be 350 per year when i had no metre). I've been told that the cost of getting power to the river to drive a pump will be huge as it would have to be armoured cable. Anyone come across a pump that would suck water that distance - ie keep pump in yard and just lay waterpipe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Highland wrote: »
    Has anyone come across a water pump that will suck water rather than push water? I have a river 300 - 400m from farmyard - Council have installed a water metre a few years ago and its costing me over a grand a year (used to be 350 per year when i had no metre). I've been told that the cost of getting power to the river to drive a pump will be huge as it would have to be armoured cable. Anyone come across a pump that would suck water that distance - ie keep pump in yard and just lay waterpipe?

Any centerfugal pump will suck water but you have to be careful that the line is full of water when you start as it will cause the blade to destroy it self . http://www.dps-ni.com/products.html look to have a good selection of pumps you could also talk to any well drilling company they should have the info you require

you will also need a pressure tank like the lad's with a well to maintain the pressure in you water system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

That's asking a lot to be honest. The problem with 'sucking' water is that you risk creating a vacuum at the pump blades. These bubbles then suddenly collapse and the water creates a hammering effect. It's known as cavitation. It will destroy the pump.
    You need to figure out how much of a 'suction head' there is.
    What is the height difference from the top of the river to the pump inlet?
    Every 10 metres will equate to 1.0 Bar. So if it's 5metres for example that's 0.5 Bar.
    Next you need to figure out what size pipe you will be using for the flow rate you want. You then work out the pressure drop along the pipe. Again the larger the diameter the better. Also keep the pipe as straight as possible with smooth, not sharp turns. Say this value is 0.8 Bar.

Then total pressure drop is 0.5+0.8 = 1.3 Bar or a suction head of 13metres.

Normal suction heads are between 3 and 5 metres. In this case a normal pump wont work.

First thing to do is figure out the suction head? Anything over 8 metres and it wont work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

How about using the power of the wind, like they do in the movies? might mean that you may need to install a storage tank? or how about a water ram, old technology I know but effective all the same. Sorry if I'm posting incorrectly,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Jeez, you'd buy a fair bit of armoured cable for €1000!!!

If I were you.

1)Dig 30" trench from Yard to river, run 1.5inch pipe and armoured cable in it. These could be laid with mole plough too if you had a deep enough one.

2)Bury a concrete pipe standing on it's end in the river. Top of pipe should be over flood level. Bottom of pipe should be 2 ft under low flow water level

3) Connect submersible pump to water pipe and cable. Put submersible pump in concrete pipe under the water level.

4) Locate pressure vessel and switch in one of your existing sheds. You will need a non return valve on the pipe to the river so it does not drain when the pump cuts out.

Hey presto - cheap water!!

I would NOT use a pump that sucks water as research has proven that they are up to 7 times less efficient then a submersible.

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »

These pumps will lift it 400ft, but you need a 'supply head' or fall in the water supplying the pump to drive the pump......
    In other words you need a fall in the river. If the river is flat you can't get the pressure to drive the pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why not put a tank on feet or a platform beside the river. Pump water into the tank using a cheap submer pump and then allow gravity help you out.

cjpm wrote: »
    This is the best option to be honest. Don't skimp on the water pipe or cable either. Size them right. It will pay back in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

maybe modern day pumps are different but my experience of "sucking" are not good

cjpm has given good advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Would there be an issue with the Waterways people/County Council/Who Knows Who Else and abstracting water from a river, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Why not put a tank on feet or a platform beside the river. Pump water into the tank using a cheap submer pump and then allow gravity help you out.

1) Would be a bit of an eyesore, in particular for neighbours
    2) Might need to be tall as river is lightly to be at a lower level than yard, some kid might fall off it
    3) You'd get a good sized Pressure vessel for €100
    4) By keeping only the pump in the river and the switch and pressure vessel in shed, 99% of problems can be rectified without going down to the river.

We'd a similar set up but made the mistake of building a pumphouse close to source and using a sucking pump. DISASTER

Now have a submersible, but if there is a problem you've to walk all the way down to the pumphouse which is in an awful spot to get to..... trees bushes etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Why not just get a well drilled beside the farmyard? Then, standard submersible pump setup should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

This guy built his owm ram pump for fifty bucks. If you are handy, might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Another option would be to think about rain water harvesting. No electricity and no pumps.

Perhaps not a year round solution, but it is a cheap supplementary supply. You will need to keep on your metered water anyweays unless you sink a well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Highland wrote: »
    I have a pump taking water from a well. The pump is about 250 yards from the well and it pumps it around 6 to 700 yards.
    We put in a new pump around 5 years ago only problems was 2 foot valves at the well.
    It cost around 500 the old pump was their 25 years.
    Supplied by EPS in ballyhanus Co mayo lots of good info their i think they also supply chadwicks.

Advertisement