Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammerli

• 06-10-2011 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    Thinking of buying a Hammerli xesse but dont know which one. I know they are hard to get at mo but besides that, from gun blogs there seems to be 3 main ones, the basic x-esse, the e-xesse sport or the IPSC.

Will be used for target shooting.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Paulo999 wrote: »

Naturally. You won't get a licence (in RoI) otherwise.

What type of target shooting? (1500, ISSF, or ?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Paulo999

That would be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

i personally wouldnt buy a hamerli as i know one guy in the club that has one and he got a good bit of hassle with it. the gun got a fair bit of use every weekend but maybe he just got a bad one but im a s&w fan myself and wouldnt go pass them for target shooting.
    dont get me wrong i have fired the hammerli and its a nice accurate gun but maybe just the hassle he had with it would put me off buying one.
    im sure alot of guys will disagree with me but thats just my opinion on it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It seems rather odd to me to be thinking of dropping over a thousand euros on a gun without having much idea what you will be using it for. For sure, AGS will want to know the purpose of this gun before you can ever get a license for it - whichever one it is that you want.

Have you tried one out? If so, which one? And what did you shoot with it?

Just interested, me.

tac, up in Finland.

Fair play to you Tac, you're well up on Irish law for a Finn. It is a country where I long to be.

I will be using the gun for target shooting with a club, it is the type of target shooting that I am not sure of.

Hi dax 121, I was looking at a nice S&W but it was a bit dearer. I might have another look.

Thanks for the replies lads.

• Advertisement

Hyvää iltaa, Paulo999! Sorry, I'm not a Finn, just on a short vacation to see old friends here near the Arctic Circle. I have no dog in this race, as I don't live in Ireland, but my suggestion is still a valid one, having been a handgun shooter since age 6 [I'm now 65].
    Try as many as you are able to - there is nothing worse than buying a gun of any kind, only to find out that -

a. IT will not do what YOU want to do with it.

b. YOU can not do what YOU want with it.

They are quite different things, as anybody who shoots seriously will tell you.

A semi-auto will serve you better than a revolver, as you will be at a real disadvantage in the faster sections of the ISSF/UIT standard pistol match - if, indeed, you can manage it at all with a revolver. To remind you - here is the course of fire for the standard pistol -

1. First stage - five shots in 150 seconds x 2. [failry easy with a revolver]

2. Second stage - five shots in 20 seconds x 2. [very difficult with a revolver]

3. Final stage - five shots in 10 seconds x 2. [virtually impossible with a revolver]

I've been an instructor and coach for the last 35+ years, but please don't take my word for it.

tac

Hi Tac,

I was thinking that. The line above is a Monty Python song, google it , its very funny.

Thanks for the advice. I have shot a few pistols and the Hammerli X-esse was the one I preferred, but I dont intend to buy until I shoot again.

I was really trying to find out the difference between the models, esp the IPSC.

Thanks for your earlier advice

You are welcome, Paulo999.

Apropos absolutely nothing - I went to school in England, and between age 12 and 18 I spent most of my summer school vacations in Finland - living in London was no fun for a poor country boy. I, too, love the place, notwithstanding Mr Python and the gang. We remain close friends even after more than half a century - a sure pointer to the fact that after a while, you can learn to put up with just about anybody - the effort to do differently is just too much to think about.

Best

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭7.62 rule

Paulo999 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking of buying a Hammerli xesse but dont know which one. I know they are hard to get at mo but besides that, from gun blogs there seems to be 3 main ones, the basic x-esse, the e-xesse sport or the IPSC.

Any ideas?

I've shot both the short and the long version, found both good, reliable guns, but not as accurate as I though a Sig gun should be, did better with other brands, in my opinion the moving rear sight effects accurate return to battery, :)

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Reviving this folks am on the verge of buying an xesse and was going for a sport, What are the differences between the sport and the ipssc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grip style, barrel length I think, and accessories. The core mechanism is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The xesse is nothing like as good as hammerli's other pistols such as the 208, they appear to be built down to the price. Several people have them in the club , one is really poor reliability-wise and its brand new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    The xesse is nothing like as good as hammerli's other pistols such as the 208, they appear to be built down to the price. Several people have them in the club , one is really poor reliability-wise and its brand new.
    Well, yeah - it's Hammerli's take on an entry level pistol, so it's never going to be as good as their top-of-the-line (or even mid-range) stuff.
    You gets what you pay for I guess. I've seen very, very few firearms that were accurate enough for any kind of real competitive shooting (by which I mean an international circuit in pretty much any discipline going) that you wouldn't pay a chunk of change for. In fact, I think I've only ever seen two that cost very little and would let you be competitive in a national level match - the IZH-46M air pistol and the Vickers Jubilee .22lr rifle. There are a few others I've heard great things of in terms of bang for your euro, but I've not shot them myself - the IZH-35 .22lr pistol, the BSA Martini rifles, and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I use a S&W myself but some of the lads in the club do very well with the Hammerli Xesse. It's a lovely pistol.

I'd go for the Sport version because of the grip. It makes it slightly heavier but way better to hold.

I'd try out one though before you consider buying it. Maybe the moulded grip wouldn't suit you.

Comfort and fit is very important and often people don't take this into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Thats what im planning on getting and adding a set of wood grips so i have the best of both!

Advertisement