Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science?

Options
  • 07-10-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hello,
    I wondering if someone could tell me what computer science is like here in UL. Because I wont to know should I go yo UL or Trinity. I am sure the courses are very similar. Though UL had co-op and Trinity does not. But I live about 20 mins from UL, going to Dublin and staying up there is what attracts me to Trinity. Even though I heard student accommodation is a fair bit away form the college. Any help from current UL student. Advice, whats the collge like :)
    Ps Will be going there on next Friday for the open day. But from the experience of the open days in our school it cant be very much to go on. You know cleaning up the whole place etc. Iy would be nice to get personal opinions from yeeeee thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Moved to UL. You'll probably get better answers here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Hello,
    I wondering if someone could tell me what computer science is like here in UL. Because I wont to know should I go yo UL or Trinity. I am sure the courses are very similar. Though UL had co-op and Trinity does not. But I live about 20 mins from UL, going to Dublin and staying up there is what attracts me to Trinity. Even though I heard student accommodation is a fair bit away form the college. Any help from current UL student. Advice, whats the collge like :)
    Ps Will be going there on next Friday for the open day. But from the experience of the open days in our school it cant be very much to go on. You know cleaning up the whole place etc. Iy would be nice to get personal opinions from yeeeee thanks :)

wasting your {parents} money going to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Doing a module of it (out of 5) so what I offer probably isn't worth much towards the course itself...
    I can tell you firstly that the start of the module is all Microsoft Office, if that's any use to you.
    I can also say that the computers in UL are in good nick and I've never had a problem with the internet, if that helps at all.
    Giving you all I can :P
    Oh, and on the open day if you do attend a lecture on Computer Sciences, ask what other modules there are in the course,
    I fell into that trap...
    Doing the 3 Sciences, Maths and Computer Science...
    The joys of being unprepared :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

It's not a waste at all if you are going to enjoy it and get on well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I'm in second year Computer Systems LM051, its the main comp sci course on offer, there are others ! its fairly hard core, but i love it !
    I have a work placement with Intel next May till Jan ! beats the pants off anything trinity could offer !

http://www.csis.ul.ie/currentcourse/LM051/

http://www.ul.ie/courses/ComputerSystems.php

here's an old thread I made before I went to UL, you might find it helpful ? I did at the time
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64663296

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

iPwnage wrote: »
    I'm in second year Computer Systems LM051, its the main comp sci course on offer, there are others ! its fairly hard core, but i love it !
    I have a work placement with Intel next May till Jan ! beats the pants off anything trinity could offer !

here's an old thread I made before I went to UL, you might find it helpful ? I did at the time

Thanks very much.. I meant comuter systems. I will have a look
    Much appreciated

iPwnage wrote: »

Since you are in second year I would like to ask you a few more questions.
    Am is it alot of maths yea? Like im in 6th year and doing Honours maths going for an A or a B. What language are yee learning.. When you finish what do want to work as. Like with this degree what kinda jobs can you get like would they be in google twitter etc. Is it more programming than maths. Sorry for all the questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Since you are in second year I would like to ask you a few more questions.
    Am is it alot of maths yea? Like im in 6th year and doing Honours maths going for an A or a B. What language are yee learning.. When you finish what do want to work as. Like with this degree what kinda jobs can you get like would they be in google twitter etc. Is it more programming than maths. Sorry for all the questions :)

I'm also in second year in that course so I'll try and answer a few questions for you.

There is one module in maths each semester so far. Although it creeps into a few of the other modules (Mainly sets). You should be able for it if you do honours (I got a C3 at higher level and I'm doing fine at it). Stuff like vectors and functions from your LC will come in handy for first year. Some parts of the maths' are easier than the LC, some parts are harder but there is plenty of support if you need it. Also, the exams rarely change year on year and they aren't marked as tough as the LC. An A or a B for your Leaving and you'll be well able to handle it.

As for jobs, according to Qualifax, your career opportunities are:
    • Software Engineering
    • Management Consultancy
    • Systems Analysis and Design
    • Research and Development
    • Software Support Services
    • Information Systems Development
    • Network Administration and Support
    • Database Design and Administration
    • Software Quality Assurance
    • Software Development

There is more programming than maths. Your core modules are programming modules. The language we do is Java. But we have also learnt HTML, CSS,SQL and I'm fairly sure we will be doing a bit of PHP and MySQL later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

yup Niall summed it up well there !

I found the maths hard at the start of first semester, I never did my leaving cert, but I managed away through it !! I nearly swear they started us on the harder stuff to weed people out off the course ! cos it actually got easier as the year progressed ! Even easier this year !!

There are plenty of supports, there is a free maths learning centre, you can drop in for help if needs be...same with jave, most of us struggle at the java, programming is not easy, its a new way of thinking for most ! I find it tough, but if you enjoy it, you'll soldier on through it

As for jobs after, there arent enough graduates to fill the jobs...The country is screaming out for qualified Computer Scientists/Sw devs/engineers.... you will fall into all these categories ! Lots in my class have top internships with major sw/hw finance and medical devices companies next May.

its a very enjoyable course, small enough class, we've gone from 40 odd to less then 20 I'd say, very high drop out rate !
    All the lectures are dead sound, and cant help you enough ! If your into software and hardware, and how it all works at a microscopic level...go for it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

In 2nd year Games, LM110, which has the exact same first year as Comp Sys so I'll wigh in here. UL is a better choice (imo) because of the Co-op, if you do well on that, you could end up with a job straight after graduating. If not, it still looks good on the CV if you've experience in the industry.
    The CSIS department in UL is superb to be fair. A dedicated building full of PC's, ICT Learning centre if you're having trouble, and the lecturers are all pretty sound.
    If you're heading for an A/B in honours you'll more than likely be fine for the maths modules. I was failing honours miserably, got an A1 in pass, and the maths modules are grand out.
    Games gets seriously hard in 2nd year, but they systems crowd seem not to be as stressed as us.......(lucky ba*tards :( )

You say you're currently living 20mins from UL, so I assume your intention is to live at home if you go to UL. I would suggest, (if funds are available) trying the on campus accomodation... Plassey is fairly reasonable (you'll need to book early next year though).. But that's only if you consider living at home to be a major downside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

You'd have to be bonkers to live 20 mins from UL and move into a kip like plassey and spend those extortionate rates.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    In 2nd year Games, LM110, which has the exact same first year as Comp Sys so I'll wigh in here. UL is a better choice (imo) because of the Co-op, if you do well on that, you could end up with a job straight after graduating. If not, it still looks good on the CV if you've experience in the industry.
    The CSIS department in UL is superb to be fair. A dedicated building full of PC's, ICT Learning centre if you're having trouble, and the lecturers are all pretty sound.
    If you're heading for an A/B in honours you'll more than likely be fine for the maths modules. I was failing honours miserably, got an A1 in pass, and the maths modules are grand out.
    Games gets seriously hard in 2nd year, but they systems crowd seem not to be as stressed as us.......(lucky ba*tards :( )

You say you're currently living 20mins from UL, so I assume your intention is to live at home if you go to UL. I would suggest, (if funds are available) trying the on campus accomodation... Plassey is fairly reasonable (you'll need to book early next year though).. But that's only if you consider living at home to be a major downside.

Thanks for that :)
    Yuss I do... I would rather not live at home. The main thing that made me realy think about Trinity or UCD is that it is away from home. You know different experience. But Trinity = no co-op. But by the sounds of it in UL it seems to be pretty good. I know this of topic. But can you tell about night life etc in Limerick haha I know its a jump but I like to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You'd have to be bonkers to live 20 mins from UL and move into a kip like plassey and spend those extortionate rates.

To be fair, the new houses in Plassey are fair nice. And the prices aren't extortionate when you consider what's thrown in. Internet, bin collection, electricity, the convenience of living on campus, etc.
    Thanks for that :)
    Yuss I do... I would rather not live at home. The main thing that made me realy think about Trinity or UCD is that it is away from home. You know different experience. But Trinity = no co-op. But by the sounds of it in UL it seems to be pretty good. I know this of topic. But can you tell about night life etc in Limerick haha I know its a jump but I like to be sure :)

Night life's great. Stables is a bit of craic most nights if your not up for the city, Angel Lane is alright, Lodge is ****(though I seem to be in the minority of people who hate the Lodge with a burning passion), have never had a bad night out in the city that I can remember.

Though that said, I dunno would I be having as much of a laugh if I was living at home.

Advertisement