Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will HTML 4 or 5 be used to develop training material?

Options
  • 07-10-2011 5:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I need advice, could I use HTML to develop training material were one has to respond to a math question where the numbers are generated randomly. I would have to learn HTML but don't want to spend the time if it can't be done.

Thanks ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I wouldn't recommend learning HTML just to complete one task (whether it was possible or not) unless you are a very quick learner!

Also, it is probably not possible with just HTML. At the very least you'd need some limited CSS and Javascript experience too. If it's a complex program or needs to be secure in any way, you'll need some sort of backend server to do the work for you (PHP, Java, .NET etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chromo100

Thanks ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's more JavaScript (or, as ocallagh mentioned, server-side PHP) that's required, rather than HTML.

The basic questions would be easily done in basic JavaScript on a basic HTML page, but the rest depends on what tracking/scoring/reporting, etc, you'd require, making the task more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

As Liam said, you need something like PHP (runs on the server, more secure, easier to use database) or Javascript (runs in the web-browser, simpler set-up, less security options, not as well suited to using a database) to go along with the HTML so that you can do things like random numbers.

It's possible that it can be done with only HTML5, which is essentially HTML and Javascript combined. With HTML5 you need to ensure that your users have up-to-date web-browsers and even at that, I think only Chrome goes close to fully supporting HTML5.

Javascript libraries such as JQuery could help you a lot. Learning HTML is relatively simple in comparison to Javascript.

If you want to make more advanced training materials the Coldfusion web development framework is worth a look. It's propriatory, although maybe it can be used for free but with limited servers or CPU's. It allows you to develop web applications very quickly and is well suited to making online training material.

Another option would be to use a content management system, which are supposed to make web application development easier. They have lots of extras or components, some of which I would think would suit your needs, such a making an online quiz. An example is Joomla.

Finally, check this out! pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Need a lot more info. Is this for commercial use, a simple prototype. How many people would use it etc... What other info can you give us? I feel there may be other tools more suitable than learning HTML (and other technologies) yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I would agree with P.

OP seems reluctant to learn HTML but it's the easiest of all the techologies mentioned so far.

I think the last link I gave on OLAT might be more suitable, but I'm not sure if it's a framework or an actual application.

I would think that there are many (freely) available tools that will do what the OP wants with little or no programming skills!

http://download.cnet.com/windows/teaching-tools/

Advertisement