Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Apple store opening in Dublin

• 07-10-2011 7:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Guys there will be an apple store opening in Arnots by the end of the month.I have searched for links etc but to no avail if any one is in that area have a look there are two shops been built a sports store and apple store!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't think this is an Apple Store. I believe it is just a premium reseller like CompuB on Grafton street.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

To the best of my knowledge this is going to be an authorised reseller as opposed to an actual apple store. I could be wrong. The thing is though its going on what they call lower ground (read basement level) and apple usually like to have nice fronts to their stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It'll probably be no different to the Apple sections in HMV Grafton St., or PC World stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I think it is just the expert store that is already there moving across the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

I think it is just the expert store that is already there moving across the floor.

Heres hoping it is an apple store, we really need one here in the Republic!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's definitely not an official Apple Store. Just a dedicated section within Arnotts for Apple gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Yeah it wouldnt be extravagant enough to be an official apple store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fox007 wrote: »
    Heres hoping it is an apple store, we really need one here in the Republic!

Its not an apple Store, its simply a section of Arnotts Electrical Dept dedicated to Apple products. The same way as Harvey Normal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Any idea why Ireland doesnt have an Apple store yet? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Zhane wrote: »
    Any idea why Ireland doesnt have an Apple store yet? :confused:
    Apple go country by country and they are very picky about location. What street, what part of the city, etc. We'll get one eventually.

In the meantime, the CompuB shop on Grafton Street is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Apple go country by country and they are very picky about location. What street, what part of the city, etc. We'll get one eventually.

In the meantime, the CompuB shop on Grafton Street is pretty good.

Yeah, Ive been in there. Its a very nice store to be fair. It always seems to be busy aswell. I was just wondering why an official one hasnt opened because it cant be a lack of interest in the consumer base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

The reason apple will not open in the republic is there will be too much damage to the Belfast store,it's a small island we live on after all. Apple don't think the Market is their!! Silly them

you'd think now would be a good time :
    • price of land is down
    • building prices are down
    • commercial rates in dublin city centre are down
    • there hasnt been a better time to buy/build imho

they could go all out and build something spectacular similar to yhe New York store :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kceire wrote: »
    they could go all out and build something spectacular similar to yhe New York store :D

Only to have it ruined within 30 seconds of opening by the knacks.

Only to have it ruined within 30 seconds of opening by the knacks.

People said the same thing about Dublin Bikes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

There are over 300 Apple stores in existence but spread across only 11 countries so it would be pretty special for Ireland to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

There are over 300 Apple stores in existence but spread across only 11 countries so it would be pretty special for Ireland to get one.

Yeah I doubt we will ever get one. Northern Ireland got one before us, that should tell you a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mad muffin wrote: »
    Yeah I doubt we will ever get one. Northern Ireland got one before us, that should tell you a lot.

All that tells you is that the UK got them before Ireland. It would be amazing if it was any other way.

I think CompuB are effectively the Apple stores in Ireland and have been probably told that Apple won't come in for at least a few years. Would they have invested in a Grafton St store if Apple were going to one up beside them. I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

What would you get with a real Apple store that we don't with Compub?

gzoladz wrote: »
    What would you get with a real Apple store that we don't with Compub?

iPhone for starters.
    Somewhere to actually buy an iphone sim free without having to order online, await delivery, get credit card etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

iPhone for starters.
    Somewhere to actually buy an iphone sim free without having to order online, await delivery, get credit card etc etc

There is also the genius bar and all the accessories for all the Apple products.

Then there is the customer service, whilst fine, is not on par with what you would get at an Apple store.

iPhone for starters.

Exactly. Tried to get an iPhone 4 in there and was told to go to Belfast! Ended up getting one on contract and regretted it ever since (not the phone, the contract - I'm not out until November 2012).

not to mention the special events and free training that they do.

when i lived in chicago the apple store gave free keynotes on loads of products from final cut pro to logic to keynote itself :)

Population of Belfast City: 267,500 or urban Belfast area: 483,418.

Population of Dublin City: 525,383 or urban Dublin area: 1,200,769.

I doubt it's down to numbers as the reason we don't have a store yet. Possibly some red tape they want to get around or i'd say it could be finding a prime spot in The City Centre, also a store like that would stand out from the rest around it as their known for their unique designs. Could be hard getting around the City Council to put such a store here. Maybe taking away the look of the street. I hope we get one soon.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I think CompuB are effectively the Apple stores in Ireland and have been probably told that Apple won't come in for at least a few years. Would they have invested in a Grafton St store if Apple were going to one up beside them. I doubt it.

Apple wouldn't care about setting up near compuB, there's enough footfall on grafton street to accommodate the both of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

DubDJ wrote: »
    Population of Belfast City: 267,500 or urban Belfast area: 483,418.

Population of Dublin City: 525,383 or urban Dublin area: 1,200,769.

I doubt it's down to numbers as the reason we don't have a store yet. Possibly some red tape they want to get around or i'd say it could be finding a prime spot in The City Centre, also a store like that would stand out from the rest around it as their known for their unique designs. Could be hard getting around the City Council to put such a store here. Maybe taking away the look of the street. I hope we get one soon.

It's the size of UK vs Ireland that's relevant, nothing to do with Belfast vs Dublin. Someone posted that Apple stores are in just 11 countries. If that's accurate then we're well down the list of countries who will be getting Apple stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The reason apple will not open in the republic is there will be too much damage to the Belfast store,it's a small island we live on after all. Apple don't think the Market is their!! Silly them

Do you work in Apple and actually know this?

Always amazed what people profess to know on boards.

How come Ikea have opened a store first in Belfast and then later in Dublin and both are now still open?

The Apple Store in Belfast was opened for that market.

I read an article last year which I now can't find that Apple take their store openings very seriously and work on a country basis. So they focussed on US and then rolled out to UK & China etc and will then get to other countries and Ireland is on that list.

They also seek premium sites that fit in with the Apple brand so I'm sure it will be Grafton Street but you never know.

I'm sure they will come to Dublin but it's just a question of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

DubDJ wrote: »
    ?... or i'd say it could be finding a prime spot in The City Centre, also a store like that would stand out from the rest around it as their known for their unique designs. Could be hard getting around the City Council to put such a store here. Maybe taking away the look of the street. I hope we get one soon.

:confused:

Some of the stores are unique and award winning......but conversely I've been to a few in shopping malls which are bog standard store fronts.

amdublin wrote: »
    :confused:

Some of the stores are unique and award winning......but conversely I've been to a few in shopping malls which are bog standard store fronts.

And these are Offical Apple Stores and not just Authorised Ratailers? I've seen photos of some of the retailers trying to mimic the Offical store look but their never as impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's nonsense. THey obvious know how many they are selling through resellers, and on contract.
    i live in Sydney and there are about 7 Apple Stores in the Sydney area. 2 are with in 15 or 20 minutes of each other

Advertisement