Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature programmes on the TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Bsal

I can't wait for the second part next Sunday to see the Starling murmuration, and Springwatch this week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭emo72

started a thread about this in the television forum. its beautifully filmed. BUT, the main question for me is, if they went to so much effort to film it with the latest hi def cameras, then why show it on RTE1 when we have RTE2HD? its like take something wonderful and then downgrade it to standard definition tv? it makes no sense at all.

i loved the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know I'll be in the minority here but...I thought it had nothing new. The slow mo shots are reminiscent of Attenborough programmes going back a decade or more. There was really nothing new in it. The music was distracting too. Nice programme but not earth shattering. I will admit to a bias against the presenter as I never enjoyed any of his earlier work and find his voice annoying. Anyway, great to see RTE getting back to nature shows and we'll see what the next episode brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Mothman "Wicklow's Disadvantage" acquitted himself well on Bioblitz; if only he had shaved and cleaned himself up beforehand he might have been better received by the presenter :D
    I found the lonesome corncrake scene on the Shannon program a bit cringeworthy, with the violins going in the background, but some nice filming elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

recedite wrote: »
    Mothman "Wicklow's Disadvantage" acquitted himself well on Bioblitz; if only he had shaved and cleaned himself up beforehand he might have been better received by the presenter :D
    One advantage with all the facial hair, is that I didn't need much make-up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Burrowers: Animals Underground
    on bbc2 @ 9.00pm fridays

its facinating

Autumn watch starts at 8pm on Tuesday BBC2 until Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

New series of Living the Wildlife starting tonight on RTE1 at 7.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/livingthewildlife/

I didn't see it myself, but TV3 started a 4-part series on Killarney National Park on Sunday.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/584/77421/1/The+Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,752 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whyulittle wrote: »

I didn't see it myself, but TV3 started a 4-part series on Killarney National Park on Sunday.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/584/77421/1/The+Park

This was suprisingly good. Some excellent camera work capturing the beauty of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Just a question in regards the park on tv3 the eagle that fell out of the nest would it not have been better to leave it alone till it was flying that kidnapping him out of the tree attaching there gadgets while I know its probably the norm still the nest had lasted for over 7 weeks if they built it that badly I imagine it would have failed before that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Just a question in regards the park on tv3 the eagle that fell out of the nest would it not have been better to leave it alone till it was flying that kidnapping him out of the tree attaching there gadgets while I know its probably the norm still the nest had lasted for over 7 weeks if they built it that badly I imagine it would have failed before that

No way of knowing 100%, but in this particular case I'd be inclined to think that their visit had little or no impact on the nest. The guys involved would be well used to raptor/eagle nests and wouldn't have been taken any luxuries in terms of walking around on the nest or doing anything that might damage it.

And once the chick is flying you can't put tags etc. on them - very hard to catch, so all of that has to be done at least a week before the chick can fly.

So I think it probably was bad timing in terms of a slightly dodgy nest and bad weather hitting before the chick had actually fledged unfortunately. Hopefully that pair have better luck this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

New series of Living the Wildlife starting tonight on RTE1 at 7.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/livingthewildlife/

Didn't see The Park but totally enjoyed "Living The Wildlife" earlier - thanks for the heads up on it whyulittle !! Haven't managed to see a Goosander in the real yet but it's on my list !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Didn't see The Park but totally enjoyed "Living The Wildlife" earlier - thanks for the heads up on it whyulittle !! Haven't managed to see a Goosander in the real yet but it's on my list !
    Go to upper lake in Glendalough at around dawn and you will likely see them. As the place fills up with people you are less likely to see them, they are shy birds.

John Lusby of BWI talking Barn Owl conservation on The Zoo this week, Thursday at 7 PM on RTE 1.

Living The Wildlife spent this week's episode in a wildlife garden - a fellow Boardsie's one no less, if I'm not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Living The Wildlife spent this week's episode in a wildlife garden - a fellow Boardsie's one no less, if I'm not mistaken.

Lovely garden alright did they say who big it was?

Also

Last week I think they featured wood ants I think they where called big ants that made huge nest's in Ireland and they where in a forest in the galtee mountains which forest was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Mothman?

Lovely garden alright did they say who big it was?

I missed the very start, so they may have mentioned it then. I didn't hear it through the show.
    Mothman?

Correct - talking moths Dragon & Damselflies.

I know a few members here mention their own ponds / wildlife gardens, but descriptions and even photos can only show you so much. It was great to see it on film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It was Mothman's garden all right ... I had the privilege of visiting it a couple of years ago to photograph some dragon- and damsel flies. A fantastic place altogether!

BBC Springwatch returns on Monday 26th - 12th June

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/posts/Springwatch-returns-on-26th-May-2014

• Advertisement

anyone watching the latest installment of springwatch on bbc2??

those poor kit rabbits:( savaged by the crows

amazing to see the other rabbits coming to last ones rescue, never knew they had such close bonds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

fryup wrote: »
    anyone watching the latest installment of springwatch on bbc2??

those poor kit rabbits:( savaged by the crows

amazing to see the other rabbits coming to last ones rescue, never knew they had such close bonds

Hard to watch
    I knew magpies are opportunist killers and the other bigger crows
    I never knew the smaller Jackdaw was thou. for some reason always thought they where more classy lol
    I have seen hooded crows chase rats and raid nests

Did you see the Cuckoo chick throwing the other eggs out the nest , amazing
    work of evolution. Cannot believe they have that instinct so young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Living the Wildlife is back, repeat of series earlier in year.

thurs 7pm

Episode 1 last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Anyone else watch the Great Bear Stake-out on RTE? Still on the player if you haven't - a must see imo :)

Oh! & The Zoo also.

A Wonderful Piece,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

axe2grind wrote: »
    Living the Wildlife is back, repeat of series earlier in year.

thurs 7pm

Episode 1 last week.
    Saw it. F***ing Mothman again. Will he not get off the TV screen. Nice pond though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I think Recedite's post was tongue in cheek - the man featured on the programme tonight is an ex-boardsie and Nature and Birdwatching forum regular!

Out filming for the new series last week, WTSEs on the way (hopefully)!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.772915982766317.1073741878.144404808950774&type=1

Its that time of year again and the BBC's Autumnwatch starts 28th October BBC2 at 8pm.

Dick Warner's our island on wednesday nights on TV3

bit late for a nature programme don't you think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fryup wrote: »
    Dick Warner's our island on wednesday nights on TV3

bit late for a nature programme don't you think??
    His voice always sends me to sleep whatever time of the day he's on :)

Advertisement