Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repeating Phrases and Writing styles

• 07-10-2011 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of you have any tips for not repeating phrases from other works?

I have a story in mind that I am trying to commit to paper but when I read what I have written it just screams at me when I see a turn of phrase that I have just read recently. I tend to change them immediately on re-reading but would like to avoid it if possible.

Also on a different topic, what are people's thoughts on descriptive prose versus a more snappy writing style? Personally I like to read a good setting or personal description as it helps me get a picture in my mind's eye, but long internal monologues do my head in. I guess the question is do you think it's a case of appropriate use or choosing one over the other to maintain a tempo?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think the amount of description always needs to be kept in parallel with the intended pace of a piece but as for whether one or the other is preferable overall is just personal opinion. I'm always wary of descriptive prose that seems to be written for the purpose of fleshing out rather than real scene-setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Part of this is going to depend on your own writing style. Personally, I like snappy. I'm not fond of long description and tend to skip over it. I prefer description that is woven into the action of the story.

As for the influence of other writers on your style and phrasing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may well use a particular style or phrase after reading one author, but when you go back to edit, you'll have read someone else in the meantime, and that will allow you to cut the bits that don't really work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

I agree; I wouldn't worry too much. I had a phrase in my book and when I watched an episode of Six Feet Under, I heard the phrase being used and realised I had got it from that. HBO haven't sued me yet. We're always absorbing influences from around us. Plagiarism only happens when you steal someone's idea lock stock and two smoking barrels.

And I think a snappy style is better. Too much description weighs a story down, though I have read books where the description was done with a light touch that illuminated the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It was for that reason that Orson Welles never watched anyone else's movies.

Advertisement