Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mining camp life Western Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

The camp I'm staying in is still under construction but it has 2 gyms, a cricket pitch, soccer pitch, putting green, driving range, swimming pool, outdoor exercise equipment, a jogging track and mountain bikes. When complete it will have bowls courts, tennis courts basketball courts, an outdoor cinema and a music room.
    The joke in mining / fifo construction is that you either drink beer, go to the gym or watch telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 whosyour_daddy

Thanks for the reply.
    That doesn't sound bad at all! Do you have to pay for these facilities or are they included for free?
    What do you work at in the camp and how many hours per day do you work?
    I would kill to get an engineering job at one of these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

These things are always free in any of the camps, as are your meals.
    Lots of people see the dollars and say "oh jaysus lad, I need to get a job in the mines lad!" but the reality is harsh on one of these sites. Nobody here ever says they are glad to be here, they just count the days until they fly out. I work 80 hours a week and it's still not enough (I work in construction, I'm told the pace is slower in mining).
    It does sound great with all the facilities I just mentioned but personally once I've finished work I get my dinner, have a shower then I have to go to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 whosyour_daddy

Brndn wrote: »
    These things are always free in any of the camps, as are your meals.
    Lots of people see the dollars and say "oh jaysus lad, I need to get a job in the mines lad!" but the reality is harsh on one of these sites. Nobody here ever says they are glad to be here, they just count the days until they fly out. I work 80 hours a week and it's still not enough (I work in construction, I'm told the pace is slower in mining).
    It does sound great with all the facilities I just mentioned but personally once I've finished work I get my dinner, have a shower then I have to go to bed!

Haha, I know what you mean, but I am not under any illusions. I know these places are only a couple of notches up from a prison and seeing that I have zero commitments here in Ireland I would be going there strictly for the $s. I was considering going to Fort Mac in Canada and researched it a good bit and I can tell you in comparison to Fort Mac, the place your at isn't too bad.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Brndn wrote: »
    Camp life is not for everyone, it can be tough to fit in with some of these rough miners and construction workers.
    Personally i find that my health deteriorates on the camp, I'm sick more often, I get indigestion, food poisoning and skin rashes etc while I'm here. I improve on my week off. This is coming from someone who is rarely sick.
    You get the big wages for a reason, you are heavily restricted in what you can and can't do. Trivial things, like you can't talk on a mobile and walk at the same time! Sometimes the health and safety rules seem over the top and are policed by anal super-nazi supervisors.
    I am lucky enough to be on a 15/ 6 roster, but once I did 5 weeks up here and it was hell!

Also you will be super lucky to get a job up here with no experience. If you have zero experience you'll have to know someone high up to have a shot at a job. I was lucky enough to get a shot at covering someone's annual leave for a week and then made a good enough impression to get kept on when that person quit.

OP here again.
    My profession is surveying.
    Thanks appreciate your input. I realise its not much fun on the mines but i told the guy i wont go unless my swing is either 1:1 or 8:6.
    Im not too worried about money, i want to get experience in mining if i go.

One thing ive noticed with asking about jobs in the mines that i hoped this thread would avoid, is the theres no way you will get a job out there unless you are really lucky. I wouldnt be asking if i was just speculating about going. I know of 6 people who did my course in college all working in WA right now.

As for no experience, well maybe none working in an open pit mine but they obviously think im capable of doing the job.

Anyway im supposed to hear back on friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

minesite survey is a doddle. the tolerances will make you laugh. i dont think you'll get that roster though......i work in construction and most surveyors I’ve come across are on a 3/1 or 2/1. I’ve heard of surveyors in actual mines on 8/6 or 2/1 but the money is worse than construction

uglyjohn wrote: »
    minesite survey is a doddle. the tolerances will make you laugh. i dont think you'll get that roster though......i work in construction and most surveyors I’ve come across are on a 3/1 or 2/1. I’ve heard of surveyors in actual mines on 8/6 or 2/1 but the money is worse than construction
    Haha that doesnt surprise me too much. Ive done some of that kind of work before and when you have 500,00m3 in a pile nobody seemed to care if you are out by a few thousand.

What is the engineering surveying like on the construction. Setting out and as-build im guessing? Done plenty of that before so i guess i could do it either, just dont think id enjoy 3:1, could probably manage 2:1 alright.

to be honest I have the interest in the mining side of thing so id probably be happy taking a hit on the wages to get the experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I was considering going to Fort Mac in Canada and researched it a good bit and I can tell you in comparison to Fort Mac, the place your at isn't too bad.

If i was you i would consider Canada before Aus, Fort Mac is not too bad, you will get used to the cold, would live there before any place n Aus.

If i was you i would consider Canada before Aus, Fort Mac is not too bad, you will get used to the cold, would live there before any place n Aus.
    You serious? I take it you have been up north in winter?
    Snow from october to april, its depressing. If you want to go out you have to put on loads. of layers. Leave your car running or else plugged to a sump heater. Hands constantly numb. Driving in whiteouts. Countless flight delays and cancellations.
    I love canada but there is no way i could hack the cold there

No thanks il take a warmer climate any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sundy wrote: »
    You serious? I take it you have been up north in winter?
    Snow from october to april, its depressing. If you want to go out you have to put on loads. of layers. Leave your car running or else plugged to a sump heater. Hands constantly numb. Driving in whiteouts. Countless flight delays and cancellations.
    I love canada but there is no way i could hack the cold there

No thanks il take a warmer climate any day.

Wouldn't take any notice of Jonjo Sundy, he takes any opportunity to bag Aus because of his failure there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

How difficult would it be to get work in a mine driving a dump truck? At the moment Im driving a 30 ton dump truck on an earthworks project 100kms outside Sydney and wouldnt mind trying to get into a mine for a while to try and save some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Wouldn't take any notice of Jonjo Sundy, he takes any opportunity to bag Aus because of his failure there.

It was pure Gold when he realized his work out bush counted for nothing and could not extend his Visa,pure Gold i tells ya. if it was so bad why did he want to spend a second year there :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cabra64

So ive pretty much been head hunted to go work in a mine in WA. The wages are spectacular and it would probably be 8/6, 2/1 or 1/1. I dont know yet but it will be one of the above.
    there is also a possibility of accom provided in Perth for out time, is this usual?

I wondering what mining camp life is like from someone who has been there, done that. Its hard to find much on the internet as to what its like there.

Is the food good?
    What is the atmosphere like? relaxed, tension?
    FIFO wise, do you feel lost on your time off?
    I'll have get a months worth of paid holidays, what way do they generally work?
    How much money will i lose to tax and superannuation?

If anybody who actually works FIFO can answer this it would be great thanks.
    This is a great opportunity for me but im torn between going and staying here.

Edit: sorry, found alot of this in a search but if anybody has anything to contribute that would be great. Thanks

Hey Sundy, just wondering how you're getting on in the mines at the moment? Has the advice provided here proved accurate and what would you add to it?

Well seeing as someone asked..

In the end I didn't take a FIFO job. I was being offered two, one as a mine surveyor with one of the big iron ore and another couple all as an engineering surveyor. The roster for the first was a nice 8/6 but your were not directly employed by the company but through a payroll company. put me off.
    The other ones were all 3:1, which i didnt really want to do. I wanted to have a life here.

So in the end I took a job in the city in a company that supplies and develops mining/geo software and does consulting in the various areas of mining. This has included lots of travel, domestic and international. So its a lot more varied than just going to the one site the whole time, I have also got to visit places that you wouldnt exactly holiday to. ie. Papua New Guinea being one!
    Ok so the pay isnt as good as the FIFO would have been, its about 2/3's the $. But as its said on here time and time again, people seem to have an obsession with going to the mines, when you dont always have to, to get decent money.

If you have a mining related degree ie. Geo/Civil Eng/Surveyor (quantity or land) or somehow a mining engineer with a bit of experience, Perth is a great place to be right now.

I dont mind getting pm's off the above looking for advice. There are people in my office who have visited most mine sites in oz so if you want to know somewhere about a place if you have an offer, ask away.
    but please dont be offended if I havent or dont reply to a 'i have no experience but i want to do mining' type pm. Afraid i cant help you much.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

One thing ive noticed with asking about jobs in the mines that i hoped this thread would avoid, is the theres no way you will get a job out there unless you are really lucky. I wouldnt be asking if i was just speculating about going. I know of 6 people who did my course in college all working in WA right now.

Anyway im supposed to hear back on friday.

Hi Sundy,

Just wondering what course you studied and in which college, as I noticed above that 6 of your fellow students are working in WA, so it must be well recognised. I have no college qualifications and might consider this route if work is available at the end of it. Big money wouldn't be a huge motivator, just a job at this stage would be nice.

Thanks for your attention.

Geomatics in DIT Bolton Street. It's a four year degree course.

In a sense we are lucky right now because there is a shortage of degree qualified surveyors in Australia at the moment. Makes a change to be in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 robincraig

Sandy, just met a guy last week who is an Electrician working in mines in Western Australia - he painted a tough enough picture, very hot temperatures in 40's, very unionised go slow approach to work with workers performing all tasks as slow and sometimes incorrectly to delay the progress of projects, tense atmosphere in camps with guys getting cage fever after few weeks - he has worked continuously for eleven weeks with no break - norm if 4 weeks on 1 week off - FIFO (Fly in Fly Out) but on the plus side money excellent circa AUS$100 per hour...so excellent money if you can put up with the heat and challenging work conditions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Robin, I dunno about the information you have posted.

The only way you would get that kinda money is to be ABN.

I would say the norm is 2:1. Some people are on 8 days on, 6 off but it is a rarity really. I myself am on 2:1 and have seen very little poor behaviour on site. Security on the site I work on are quite strict so any messing is swiftly dealt with. Its that hard for most to get a job in the mines they wont do anything to put their job at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hey Slidey do you find the way tradys work in Oz is a bit backwards compared to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Yeah the Aussie construction workers love their CFMEU, the way they chat about it ya would swear it was some sort of criminal underworld gang, worked with loads of Aussies who have a CFMEU tattoo, stickers on there utes, flags in their utes etc. Plenty of times I was called a Irish c**t by work mates who hate that all the Irish/kiwis are willing to work for less than them.

Also if you see them protesting/picketing its nearly all middle aged men with stupid Ned Kelly immitiation beards and Ned Kelly tattoos. They're like a sissy bikeie gang who have major mid life crisis issues. I ventured onto the CFMEU wa Facebook page and some of the comments are cringe worthy. I've never met a breed of middle aged man who is willing to whine as much as an Aussie. They think their great and think that if they stop working the country will stop. I mentioned to a fella if truck drivers, bin men, bus/train drives etc went on strike then yeah the country would stop but he was having none of it..

But yeah to answer a question, definitely there is a go slow mentality on some sites I've worked on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

rightyabe wrote: »
    Yeah the Aussie construction workers love their CFMEU, the way they chat about it ya would swear it was some sort of criminal underworld gang, worked with loads of Aussies who have a CFMEU tattoo, stickers on there utes, flags in their utes etc. Plenty of times I was called a Irish c**t by work mates who hate that all the Irish/kiwis are willing to work for less than them.

Also if you see them protesting/picketing its nearly all middle aged men with stupid Ned Kelly immitiation beards and Ned Kelly tattoos. They're like a sissy bikeie gang who have major mid life crisis issues. I ventured onto the CFMEU wa Facebook page and some of the comments are cringe worthy. I've never met a breed of middle aged man who is willing to whine as much as an Aussie. They think their great and think that if they stop working the country will stop. I mentioned to a fella if truck drivers, bin men, bus/train drives etc went on strike then yeah the country would stop but he was having none of it..

But yeah to answer a question, definitely there is a go slow mentality on some sites I've worked on.

I work right beside the Grocon site in Melbourne CDB where the strike was last Spring and had perfect view from office window. 75% of the guys looked like bikies just out of the can and they were absolutely itching for violence. I was impressed that Vic Police officers were so restrained with all of the shoving, verbals and spitting that went on in attempt to rile them. Unions have their place but these guys are just scumbags.

If they knew anything about their precious bloody union they'd know that the Irish (pretty much on their own), brought trade unionism to Oz, particularly in Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

robincraig wrote: »
    Sandy, just met a guy last week who is an Electrician working in mines in Western Australia - he painted a tough enough picture, very hot temperatures in 40's, very unionised go slow approach to work with workers performing all tasks as slow and sometimes incorrectly to delay the progress of projects, tense atmosphere in camps with guys getting cage fever after few weeks - he has worked continuously for eleven weeks with no break - norm if 4 weeks on 1 week off - FIFO (Fly in Fly Out) but on the plus side money excellent circa AUS$100 per hour...so excellent money if you can put up with the heat and challenging work conditions..

He's a rare case. Barely anyone works 4 weeks on 1 week off these days. Id definitely avoid those sort of jobs anyway because that rings alarm bells instantly. I've been on a number of sites as a contractor and whilst FIFO is horrible regardless of the roster and only so much you can take of it, it is nowhere near as bad as your friend has made it out to be.

Being a contractor and a Surveyor might mean I don't always see what it's like for the construction worker. But seriously I have friends in similar situations working 8:6 (days) and enjoying it. The vast majority of even half reputable mines operate like that. Some people get screwed and it sounds like your friend is being completely screwed in every aspect apart from money. But health is more important than money. How he's done that for 11 years ill never know (not saying I don't believe you I do).

Anyone looking for mine work on here might accept 4:1 and do it to get the experience but I find it mind boggling how that guy didn't get fed up and get a better roster.

Just to clarify, what you said definitely happens, not sure about how often, but That is the definitive extreme case of FIFO work in the mines. I'm fed up with FIFO after 1.5 years in the game and looking to get out and I've been in better conditions than that. 4:2 for 9 months and now 10:4 (days) ever since. Everyone's different I guess and I'm in no way deterred by my experience. My conditions at present are good. My personal circumstances have changed.

To those looking for mine work don't be put off if you're single. If you're in a relationship then a long roster WILL almost definitely break you up. No matter how hard you try. Not many survive it. At the end of the day $100/hr isn't worth it if you'll be alone or aged 10 years in 6 in months.

Geomatics in DIT Bolton Street. It's a four year degree course.

In a sense we are lucky right now because there is a shortage of degree qualified surveyors in Australia at the moment. Makes a change to be in demand.

Just seen this. Done the same course as you mate..

Yep, this thread is over a year old. Working over here for a consultancy company, been & stayed on plenty of sites but thankfully never had to FIFO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

irishmover wrote: »
    He's a rare case. Barely anyone works 4 weeks on 1 week off these days. Id definitely avoid those sort of jobs anyway because that rings alarm bells instantly. I've been on a number of sites as a contractor and whilst FIFO is horrible regardless of the roster and only so much you can take of it, it is nowhere near as bad as your friend has made it out to be.

Being a contractor and a Surveyor might mean I don't always see what it's like for the construction worker. But seriously I have friends in similar situations working 8:6 (days) and enjoying it. The vast majority of even half reputable mines operate like that. Some people get screwed and it sounds like your friend is being completely screwed in every aspect apart from money. But health is more important than money. How he's done that for 11 years ill never know (not saying I don't believe you I do).

Anyone looking for mine work on here might accept 4:1 and do it to get the experience but I find it mind boggling how that guy didn't get fed up and get a better roster.

Just to clarify, what you said definitely happens, not sure about how often, but That is the definitive extreme case of FIFO work in the mines. I'm fed up with FIFO after 1.5 years in the game and looking to get out and I've been in better conditions than that. 4:2 for 9 months and now 10:4 (days) ever since. Everyone's different I guess and I'm in no way deterred by my experience. My conditions at present are good. My personal circumstances have changed.

To those looking for mine work don't be put off if you're single. If you're in a relationship then a long roster WILL almost definitely break you up. No matter how hard you try. Not many survive it. At the end of the day $100/hr isn't worth it if you'll be alone or aged 10 years in 6 in months.

4:1 is pretty normal if you are working up north for a construction company servicing the mines or the resources sector, I work FIFO and all my rosters have been 4:1 there is other guys working with the same company doing 3:1 and 2:1 but they tend to be supervisors, project managers, H&S, surveyors and the likes, for us "ordinary" workers we have to make do with 4:1.
    However if you got a job with the mining companies such as Rio Tinto, BHP, Fortescue etc. you would be working a maximum of 2:1 8:6 or similar.

sponge_bob wrote: »
    4:1 is pretty normal if you are working up north for a construction company servicing the mines or the resources sector, I work FIFO and all my rosters have been 4:1 there is other guys working with the same company doing 3:1 and 2:1 but they tend to be supervisors, project managers, H&S, surveyors and the likes, for us "ordinary" workers we have to make do with 4:1.
    However if you got a job with the mining companies such as Rio Tinto, BHP, Fortescue etc. you would be working a maximum of 2:1 8:6 or similar.

Construction mates used to do 4:1 when I first got here and health & safety changed. Monodelphous and a couple of others operate a typical 3:1 roster these days. But the mines as you said are much less.

I did say its a rare case as I haven't seen much of that sort of roster for the guys I've worked with in QLD but yeh I must be wrong.

I think really I was just trying to shed a little better light on FIFO than the doom & gloom post I quoted. There are a massive variety of rosters for construction workers and there are plenty of roles which offer little bit less money than 4:1 but a much better lifestyle.

The FIFO game isn't for everyone but its nowhere near as bad as what that post said or that article states. I'm sure you know that yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

irishmover wrote: »
    Construction mates used to do 4:1 when I first got here and health & safety changed. Monodelphous and a couple of others operate a typical 3:1 roster these days. But the mines as you said are much less.

I did say its a rare case as I haven't seen much of that sort of roster for the guys I've worked with in QLD but yeh I must be wrong.

I think really I was just trying to shed a little better light on FIFO than the doom & gloom post I quoted. There are a massive variety of rosters for construction workers and there are plenty of roles which offer little bit less money than 4:1 but a much better lifestyle.

The FIFO game isn't for everyone but its nowhere near as bad as what that post said or that article states. I'm sure you know that yourself.

I know what ya mean :) that post really made it out to be bad, personally I dont mind it, if ya get in with a good bunch of lads it can be quite enjoyable, and provide good oppurtunity to put a few quid together, but it is not for everyone.
    TBH alot of what guy said wouldnt be allowed under H&S rules 4 weeks is the max you are allowed to do, allthough some companies if they are under pressure may allow you to stay an extra week or two but nothing like 11 weeks without a break, if something happened it would be their neck on the line for allowing someone to work that length of time without a break.

• Advertisement

sponge_bob wrote: »
    I know what ya mean :) that post really made it out to be bad, personally I dont mind it, if ya get in with a good bunch of lads it can be quite enjoyable, and provide good oppurtunity to put a few quid together, but it is not for everyone.
    TBH alot of what guy said wouldnt be allowed under H&S rules 4 weeks is the max you are allowed to do, allthough some companies if they are under pressure may allow you to stay an extra week or two but nothing like 11 weeks without a break, if something happened it would be their neck on the line for allowing someone to work that length of time without a break.

Would you be single? I was single up until Christmas but am now looking to move on from FIFO. Circumstances have changed so time to find a city role. I've had no bad things to say about FIFO but I don't think I could do it for long in a relationship. Hoping to move on from it now. Seen alot of stuff working FIFO. Some places most Australians would never see. Earned some money so I'm happy. If I was still single I'd probably still be doing it.

Advertisement