Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Prices on Daft - Negotiable?

Options
  • 07-10-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what's the consensus out there. I've found a couple of places I like but they're about €150 p/m over my budget. Now I know one particular place I've been watching has been up there for at least 2 weeks. Is it frowned upon to bid on the place? - i.e. Go view it and call the agent the following day saying here, I'm not paying the asking price but I will pay €xxxx. Are they receptive to that or are they likely to tell you to piss off?

Secondly; as an aside, what's the opinion on taking a place without viewing it? There are a couple of places I'd have been very interested in but they were quickly taken - is it uncommon for someone to say they'll take a place based upon the Daft ad? Say something like "I'll take it subject to viewing" or is it all the one?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Yes, you are free to offer whatever you like but might be better for you to see if they are willing to negotiate before wasting your time viewing it.

Dont see the point in saying "I'll take it subject to viewing" since that is what you would be doing anyway. Definitely view a place before offering to take it since pretty pictures can exaggerate.

Its this damn high rent allowance and lack of banks repossessing banks that is causing this shortage of flats to rent and keeping prices artificially high.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

By and large I couldn't give a **** about them but I don't want to go view a place and then ridiculously low ball an agent/landlord - on the off chance I may need to use them again considering a number of EA's manage quite a few properties out there.

So pick a place maybe €100/€150 above budget and [a] expressly tell the agent I'm not prepared to pay asking price before asking to view it or view and then say based on the viewing I'm only prepared to pat €xxx [our budget].

Trying to get a handle for what's cheeky and what's not out there atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I viewed a place last night, decided to take it, sent an email this morning saying I'd like to put in an offer of €100pm under asking, but the offer was dependant on them removing certain items of furniture (seriously, who puts a wooden three-tier trolley in an apartment) and fixing a couple of small issues. Accepted within an hour!

Last week I offered €75pm under asking on a place and asked them to fix a couple of things, got a PFO.

Basically there's no way of telling, you have to put in an offer and be prepared to walk away if necessary. Be polite, but don't beg. Just say "I would like to put in an offer of €xxx, with a move-in date of xxx".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

nibtrix wrote: »
    I viewed a place last night, decided to take it, sent an email this morning saying I'd like to put in an offer of €100pm under asking, but the offer was dependant on them removing certain items of furniture (seriously, who puts a wooden three-tier trolley in an apartment) and fixing a couple of small issues. Accepted within an hour!

Last week I offered €75pm under asking on a place and asked them to fix a couple of things, got a PFO.

Basically there's no way of telling, you have to put in an offer and be prepared to walk away if necessary. Be polite, but don't beg. Just say "I would like to put in an offer of €xxx, with a move-in date of xxx".

Yeah, I'm just trying to gauge what the opinion on it is. As I said, there are a couple of places that have been on Daft now for a couple of weeks that are €100-€150 p/m over budget so I'm thinking of arranging viewings and just saying look here's €xxxx take it or leave - you have the property generating income or you can cross your fingers and hope someone pays you what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

cson wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm just trying to gauge what the opinion on it is. As I said, there are a couple of places that have been on Daft now for a couple of weeks that are €100-€150 p/m over budget so I'm thinking of arranging viewings and just saying look here's €xxxx take it or leave - you have the property generating income or you can cross your fingers and hope someone pays you what you're looking for.

So give it a go. What are you embarassed about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its entirely normal to negotiate on rent these days- very often its even built into a landlord's expectations in the rental price they are seeking- aka 1000 a month (when they actually expect to get 850.......)

Negotiate- what have you got to loose?

Advertisement