Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pick-your-own pumkins

Options
  • 07-10-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

Do you know where in Ireland is available a pick-your-own pumpkins ?
    would be a great day out for kids...i know in England there are places like this but in ireland so far i did not find any place

thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

luck11 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Do you know where in Ireland is available a pick-your-own pumpkins ?
    would be a great day out for kids...i know in England there are places like this but in ireland so far i did not find any place

thank you

You could allways grown your own,and the kids can watch at how fast the grow on a daily and weekly basis.

Then they can pick them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could allways grown your own,and the kids can watch at how fast the grow on a daily and weekly basis.

Then they can pick them.:)
    If you have the space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Yeah I made a mistake the first time I grew pumpkins of allowing the plant to grow across the ground in the glasshouse, 40ft plant later with no fruit.:mad:

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yeah I made a mistake the first time I grew pumpkins of allowing the plant to grow across the ground in the glasshouse, 40ft plant later with no fruit.:mad:

The male and female flowers obvioulsy didnt pollinate then (either by nature of with a little extra help from mankind).;)

My girlfriends pumpkin plants spread out around 30 feet and she gets huge pumpkins off them each year.

Feeding them regulary also helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The male and female flowers obvioulsy didnt pollinate then (either by nature of with a little extra help from mankind).;)

My girlfriends pumpkin plants spread out around 30 feet and she gets huge pumpkins off them each year.

Feeding them regulary also helps too.

Think it was more to do with a high nitrogen diet which encouraged more foilage growth. I did get fruit but just way too much plant to fruit ratio. I never have a problem with pollination because I am next to a commercial tomato production unit so the bees from its hives are always about. I train the pumpkins now in the air which seems to be the solution for me as the fruit develops quicker and its easier to trim back plants. Its not an ideal method for growing supersized pumpkins but I get decent sized fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

easier for pollination to occur with multiple plants than with one, since the male and female flowers don't open at the same time....if trying to grow single large plants then pollination should always be done by hand in order to be sure of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

^^^ Why do you frame your posts with ....?

In answer to you question op, I've never seen them here. I have seen them in the UK and they did look like good fun for kids. Maybe you could plant the idea with some "pick your owns" here for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

^^^^^^

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    ^^^ Why do you frame your posts with ....?

In answer to you question op, I've never seen them here. I have seen them in the UK and they did look like good fun for kids. Maybe you could plant the idea with some "pick your owns" here for next year.

no reason......

^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Fair enough...

Well,my other half picked/harvested the pumpkins yesterday.Got a nice crop this year,all more or less ripe now and will leave them to dry out at home over the next week or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 luck11

Ideally will be to plant my own pumkins alright but i have no green space in my Dublin Garden. so yes please would be so nice if we can bring kids to pick their own pumkins for halloween ...good seasonal business i suppouse!.
    thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP, if you're in Dublin I think Lispopple Apples grow pumpkins and they might let you pick your own. If not, some garden centres have pumpkin cutting classes near the day so you could bring your kids along, pick a pumpkin from the stock and let them decorate it http://www.rolestownplantsplus.ie/

(Mods - I have no connection to Rolestown, I just subscribe to their newsletter)

My girlfriend is fairly happy with this years crop (see pic attached).

Last years crop were bigger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Well,my other half picked/harvested the pumpkins yesterday.Got a nice crop this year,all more or less ripe now and will leave them to dry out at home over the next week or 2.

Mine are still half green - should i be picking them now? Will they go orange then?

They are just for the kids to make lanterns out of

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

My girlfriend is fairly happy with this years crop (see pic attached).

Last years crop were bigger though.

Great crop - whats the secret?

She has a few tips and secrets,but I would be killed by her,if I told them here.:D

Mine are still half green - should i be picking them now? Will they go orange then?

They are just for the kids to make lanterns out of

You should keep a very close eye on weather forecasts,as the slighest sign of any cold weather or any sort of frost and the pumpkinns will go off and turn to mush very fast.

Idealy,pick them in the next week or so (weather depending),and let them ripen up in a warm dry room,by a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Hi if you anywhere near newry these guys have a pick your own pumpkin on the 15th looks good:D
    http://www.stickyfingersarts.co.uk/page14.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Lots of TLC is whats required.;) My pumpkins didn't do well at all this year, wish I knew the secret too.

Advertisement