Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Burgundy !

yeah a relative of mine has agreed to ship it to me so should i encounter any problems with shipping :P ?

vibe666 wrote: »
    i used viaddress.com to get a kindle fire and a kindle touch last november when they were launched in the US and had no problems, although i did get them to 'repack' the kindles inside the box of a large children's toy so i didn't get caught with customs for them, although obviously i wouldn't advocate that anyone else do that kind of thing as it would be illegal. :)

why what would customs have done :P ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hey all,

I re-registered my kindle to the us site a while back, and forget how I did it. I need to change to the uk amazon site again, how do you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Just go into your settings (under Manage your kindle) on the .com site and change your address to a UK address - it will then prompt you to the .co.uk site

opinions of the new kindle paperwhite ? mixed reviews so far :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why mixed?

People are saying the light is uneven and that amazon has falsely advertised the light by doctoring the photos :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone here got their hands on the new Kindles?

It's getting good reviews: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/30/3433110/amazon-kindle-paperwhite-review

lil_tuts wrote: »
    Sounds Nice i bought insurance with mine so I can upgrade when that comes out :)

insurance ? do you mean the warranty ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

silvine wrote: »
    Anyone here got their hands on the new Kindles?
    My Paperwhite (or OH's - we haven't decided which of us gets it and who keeps the Touch) shipped on Friday but I won't be over to collect it until later this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Kindle paperwhite is now available for pre-order, delivery from Oct. 25 based on a first-come first-serve basis. Mine is in the queue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

How on earth did you pre-order it? When I try it says it can't be shipped to my address.

Edit: Ahh you are in Germany, well it doesn't seem to be orderable from Ireland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I pre-ordered this though the .de site as I'm living there. It looks like this is not available to Irish customers yet for pre-order. I thought Irish & UK customers were treated the same by Amazon :o

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

Amazon UK directs you to Amazon US to buy one, which tells me I can't get a paperwhite shipped to Ireland. There are ways around this though. I signed up to parcel motel and got it shipped to their address in Antrim. I haven't used parcel motel before but a friend recommends them and they are Nightline, so we'll see.

i'll wait and see if tesco stocks them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shellih

Sorry if this has been already answered but if I get the new kindle fire shipped to a UK address will the apps etc work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Lads.. bit of advice please.

I wanted to pre-order the new paperwhite for my mam for christmas.

I normally order off amazon.co.uk I went to pay for the order and it said they can't ship to me so go to amazon.com Int or something like that.

So i clicked the link they showed and set up an account and went to pay for the items and the same thing happened again !! Whats going on ?

Also the paperwhite is £109 ( about $175US) in UK and $119 in US.. Big difference !!

So am I able to order one at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

The paperwhite isn't available to ship to Ireland yet

NeVeR wrote: »
    Lads.. bit of advice please.

I wanted to pre-order the new paperwhite for my mam for christmas.

I normally order off amazon.co.uk I went to pay for the order and it said they can't ship to me so go to amazon.com Int or something like that.

So i clicked the link they showed and set up an account and went to pay for the items and the same thing happened again !! Whats going on ?

Also the paperwhite is £109 ( about $175US) in UK and $119 in US.. Big difference !!

So am I able to order one at all ?

Amazon UK have never shipped kindles to Ireland - you always had to go to amazon.com. Amazon.com won't ship the paperwhite to Ireland though (and even if they did they're back ordered by several weeks). You can get Amazon UK to ship it to a UK address though, which is what I ended up doing. I signed up for parcel motel and told Amazon UK that my delivery address is parcel motel's NI address - see here for details.
    I haven't used parcel motel before but friends have. You sign up, get an ID (which you include in the shipping address) and tell them where you want the packages delivered. You pay parcel motel €3.50 per delivery (but the first two are free) and they'll drop the package off at one of their collection sites and text you a PIN which you use to retrieve the package.

As for the price difference, bear in mind that if you were to order from Amazon US they'd be charging you international shipping rates and customs fees on top of the list price.

dredg wrote: »
    Amazon UK have never shipped kindles to Ireland - you always had to go to amazon.com. Amazon.com won't ship the paperwhite to Ireland though (and even if they did they're back ordered by several weeks). You can get Amazon UK to ship it to a UK address though, which is what I ended up doing. I signed up for parcel motel and told Amazon UK that my delivery address is parcel motel's NI address - see here for details.
    I haven't used parcel motel before but friends have. You sign up, get an ID (which you include in the shipping address) and tell them where you want the packages delivered. You pay parcel motel €3.50 per delivery (but the first two are free) and they'll drop the package off at one of their collection sites and text you a PIN which you use to retrieve the package.

As for the price difference, bear in mind that if you were to order from Amazon US they'd be charging you international shipping rates and customs fees on top of the list price.

I have a parcel motel account use it all the time... But if i ordered it from the UK would i have any issues downloading / buying books ? - Thats the main fear.

• Advertisement

NeVeR wrote: »
    I have a parcel motel account use it all the time... But if i ordered it from the UK would i have any issues downloading / buying books ? - Thats the main fear.

No.

great thanks for the info.

-- Sorry 1 more thing.

If i per-ordred not what are the chances of getting it for Christmas ? I was buying it as a present

From http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007OZNWRC/
    Due to popular demand, orders placed today are expected to ship in the week of November 12th. Limited to two per customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Hi all

I've been in contact with amazon.com and amazon.co.uk this morning via live chat and both have advised me that this product is only available to UK and US customers. When i asked at the .co.uk website if i was to purchase the KFHD in the UK and return home to Ireland with it, would the device work and they replied "No"!!! And they don't have any information re release date/accessibility for Irish customers!

What a total farse!!!! I suspect that the KFHD if purchased for use in ireland may only work for books, apps, movies etc i don't think will work. I also read this morning on the reviews on the amazon.com website that this device doesn't support "flash", gets very mixed reviews..

Needless to say i am very disappointed with amazon at the moment, as i was hoping to buy this as a gift for my husband for Xmas. I already own a Kindle (original with keyboard) which was shipped to a UK address and then forwarded to us by a friend and i've not had any problems with it.

Anyone with any conflicting info or more to the point, info on whether the KFHD will in fact work in Ire, please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

its probably been asked loads but ive gone back a couple of pages and cant find the answer
    I want to buy a kindle fire, and can get it from USA as a friend is coming home in a few weeks. will it work here perfectly?
    the site says

If you're traveling with Kindle Fire, you can access any content you've downloaded to your device or shop for new books and magazines anytime you like.
    With a U.S. credit card, you'll also be able to purchase new apps and music for Kindle Fire while you are abroad.

To purchase, download, or stream movies and TV shows, you must be physically present in the U.S. and have a U.S. billing address.

But im not sure if thats just because they are cheaper in the USA and they dont want people buying them from here??

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

kassie wrote: »
    Hi all

I've been in contact with amazon.com and amazon.co.uk this morning via live chat and both have advised me that this product is only available to UK and US customers. When i asked at the .co.uk website if i was to purchase the KFHD in the UK and return home to Ireland with it, would the device work and they replied "No"!!!

Anyone with any conflicting info or more to the point, info on whether the KFHD will in fact work in Ire, please let me know!

mel123 wrote: »
    its probably been asked loads but ive gone back a couple of pages and cant find the answer
    I want to buy a kindle fire, and can get it from USA as a friend is coming home in a few weeks. will it work here perfectly?

Sort of an answer to ye both...

I bought the old Kindle Fire last year in America.

Brought it home and it worked perfectly both here and in other countries -at least it did until i left in on a plane last month :-(

-could read books, buy books, use internet, apps etc

-even rooted it to use full app store, still without any problems, could still buy books if i wanted, just not install official firmware upgrades (well could install them but they would have taken back the root privileges)

Have bought one of the new 32gb HD ones on amazon.co.uk and had it sent to UK address (NI), It is being delivered today and i'll be collecting it tomorrow.

Can let you know tomorrow night if it works? (dont see any reason why it wont, if it was Geo-specific then you couldn't use it on holidays...i'd imagine the blurb from the sales rep is just the usual rubbish they read from the computer screen in front of them... if it doesn't then i'll just root it again.)

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Can let you know tomorrow night if it works?
    cheers

Oh that would be brilliant Lawros... i REALLY want to buy this for my hubby as i know it would be an ideal xmas pressie for him but don't want to risk spending that sort of cash if its not going to work fully!! ***waits eagerly for your reply*** ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

kassie wrote: »
    Oh that would be brilliant Lawros... i REALLY want to buy this for my hubby as i know it would be an ideal xmas pressie for him but don't want to risk spending that sort of cash if its not going to work fully!! ***waits eagerly for your reply*** ;););)

No worries,
    Might be Saturday by the time I get to update as won't be home till late tomorrow.
    Will definitely let you know over the weekend though.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have a Kindle Fire but uninstalled the Amazon Software.

Whilst I had it I could use the bookstore etc. Amazon Video and Apps needed access via a US proxy and to buy anything from Video or Apps required a US address on my amazon a/c which was topped up by an amazon gift card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Had the original kindle fire since last Xmas, had some issues trying to buy apps (even free ones) due to no US credit card, but side loading apps worked fine. Got it rooted now and running jelly bean so no more Amazon related issues at all. :)

Advertisement