Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Burgundy !

emailed them then called them then they sent one out to me

• Registered Users Posts: 45 wildwolf1

Thanks Ron.

Update - Received my Paperwhite in the post today from Waterstones in Cork - I have to say their customer service is excellent - John and Nick couldn't have been more helpful. My first ereader - now I'm gathering ebooks like a squirrel gathering acorns! Thanks Ron for sharing here on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Just saw this thread now. Sent them an email so fingers crossed they have some left. I've talked to Nick before. Absolutely brilliant customer service for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

lads, how much are the paperwhites in Waterstones?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

€129 in Waterstones, registered post €10.50. I second the excellent service, ordered mine from Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Hitchens

wildwolf1 wrote: »
    Thanks Ron.

Update - Received my Paperwhite in the post today from Waterstones in Cork - I have to say their customer service is excellent - John and Nick couldn't have been more helpful. My first ereader - now I'm gathering ebooks like a squirrel gathering acorns! Thanks Ron for sharing here on boards!

How would you rate the built in light in the Paperwhite?

Haven't had time to try it in the dark yet - but will let you know when I do.

dubmick wrote: »
    lads, how much are the paperwhites in Waterstones?

Thanks

Yes, same as that 129 + 10.50 postage....:)

m83 wrote: »
    Just saw this thread now. Sent them an email so fingers crossed they have some left. I've talked to Nick before. Absolutely brilliant customer service for sure.

Hope you get one - I'm delighted to have joined the Kindleverse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is their any point in getting a lesser model either Kindle or the Sony, they aren't that much cheaper than the paper white. The only think that would pull me to the Sony is the Pub format and reviews say it handles PDF's better. Which I would find useful. Kinda loath to leave my tattered books though.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Is their any point in getting a lesser model either Kindle or the Sony, they aren't that much cheaper than the paper white. The only think that would pull me to the Sony is the Pub format and reviews say it handles PDF's better. Which I would find useful. Kinda loath to leave my tattered books though.

I only got the Paperwhite so i could read in the dark without the light on - otherwise I would have gone for the cheaper 5-button Kindle myself. I also researched the Nook Simple touch and Simple Touch with Glowlight, now on sale on UK website - but couldn't get enough information from their website on whether a UK Nook would work in Ireland and customer services didn't get back to me...

Hope you get one - I'm delighted to have joined the Kindleverse....

I got it! Soo happy, didn't expect to have one this side of christmas. Those guys in waterstones in cork are absolute legends :)

glad to help lads how are your kindles so far ?

I'm blown away by it. So much better than expected :)

Hitchens wrote: »
    How would you rate the built in light in the Paperwhite?
    Very happy with it - easy on the eyes - there are 4 little shadows at the bottom of the screen, but it doesn't bother me at all doesn't affect the text.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Have tried a friends Kindle (the current 5 button one) and have to say I much prefer the navigation on the Paperwhite. I found navigating with the buttons rather fiddly and time consuming. Also, am going to download Calibre software, which will covert epub to Kindle format. Am actually a bit frustrated that a lot of books available on Amazon UK are not available on Amazon US..... hence I will have to wait, or find epubs and covert them...
    glad to help lads how are your kindles so far ?
    Delighted with mine Ron, though I haven't managed to read much this week - downloaded about 7 books and keep swopping between them! I love the navigation. Am only reading it in bed for about 20 minutes, then I put it away, because I haven't got a cover for it yet and am afraid if I fall asleep it will crash to the floor or I will break the screen.

Very happy with it - easy on the eyes - there are 4 little shadows at the bottom of the screen, but it doesn't bother me at all doesn't affect the text.

Thanks for that mate. I have a Kindle Touch at the moment and it's pretty good in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Is it worth upgrading from the basic to the paperwhite? I don't read in the dark usually.

Is it worth upgrading from the basic to the paperwhite? I don't read in the dark usually.
    wildwolf1 would be able to give advice on that, but afaik the sharpness and contrast is improved on the Paperwhite, but the voice function is not on it which it is on the older models.

a red dot has appeared on my kindles screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Is it possible to download books from South dublin libraries with the new Kindle Paperwhite/Kindle Fire? Its listed as a 'compatible device' on the Overdrive site but says US Books only? Would appreciate any info as I cant find this out anywhere! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

Finally thinking of getting a Kindle (or some device, depends on what Santa brings) and I wonder if you have to be connected to WiFi or 3G to read the books or can you download and save to read at a time and place where there is prehistoric coverage... e.g. most of Ireland.
    Thanks

alfagirl wrote: »
    Finally thinking of getting a Kindle (or some device, depends on what Santa brings) and I wonder if you have to be connected to WiFi or 3G to read the books or can you download and save to read at a time and place where there is prehistoric coverage... e.g. most of Ireland.
    Thanks

no you can download and read whenever you want without being connected to the net

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

Hitchens wrote: »
    no you can download and read whenever you want without being connected to the net

Brilliant, thought that but wanted to hear it from someone who knows!!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So I'm looking at getting a paperwhite. International shipping isn't possible so I was thinking about getting it shipped to my friend in the UK who'll forward it on for me. Can I transfer to the .com store or are there any other drawbacks to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

So I'm looking at getting a paperwhite. International shipping isn't possible so I was thinking about getting it shipped to my friend in the UK who'll forward it on for me. Can I transfer to the .com store or are there any other drawbacks to this?

That's what I first did when buying an original Kindle for my mother. Because the UK site "knew" I was in Ireland (through my credit card), I bought my UK friend a voucher to the value, and she bought it on her account and had it delivered to her. It came registered to her, but it was easy to deregister it and register it to my mother instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I spoke to someone in PC world yesterday and they said the paperwhite was supposed to be coming in a week or two.
    They won't be getting the fire because of the restrictions despite having cases etc for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Argos are now showing the Paperwhite on their site- expected delivery from 5 December. Ther is also another Kindle on the site, doesn't say a model, just all new Kindle, €82, does anyone own one of these, am considering that or the Paperwhite

Anyone else got this ad on their kindle and if so is there anyway to remove it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Paperwhite in stock now in Argos Cork, Mahon Point. Just reserved mine, 5 left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Just bought a Paperwhite in Argos in the Crescent, Limerick.

€129 and a free €10 voucher. Luvly Jubbly. :D

Advertisement