Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Just bought a Paperwhite in Argos in the Crescent, Limerick.

€129 and a free €10 voucher. Luvly Jubbly. :D

enjoy it, the kindle is some piece of kit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Thoie wrote: »
    That's what I first did when buying an original Kindle for my mother. Because the UK site "knew" I was in Ireland (through my credit card), I bought my UK friend a voucher to the value, and she bought it on her account and had it delivered to her. It came registered to her, but it was easy to deregister it and register it to my mother instead.

Also, buying it as a gift should have the kindle unregistered to any account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I have a res number for paperwhite in waterford if anyone wants it, as ive just got another one..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

PM me for a reservation for the Blanch store, I ended up picking it up in currys instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Anyone know when the Kindle fire hd will be available in Ireland ? Nothing on the amazon website about it yet. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Anyone know when the Kindle fire hd will be available in Ireland ? Nothing on the amazon website about it yet. :confused:

I read somewhere recently that there are licencing issues that don't allow the Fire to be sold into Ireland.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3IRFCNF3E5K2W&cdThread=Tx1889TY1VYBUWV

I've read on some of the Kindle blogs where the Paperwhite has a colour cast on the screen - pink/blue - and was wondering if anyone can confirm if this is true or not?

Hitchens wrote: »
    I've read on some of the Kindle blogs where the Paperwhite has a colour cast on the screen - pink/blue - and was wondering if anyone can confirm if this is true or not?

Lots of reports of this. See the 1 and 2 star reviews on Amazon.

Amazon referred to this obliquely in a Press Report in Oct/Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

I've mine since Friday, all is fine at the moment. :D

donglen wrote: »
    I've mine since Friday, all is fine at the moment. :D

Good to hear that, it may have been a particular batch only perhaps. Enjoy your new machine. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had a brief play with one in a UK Tesco and it seemed to go from a very pink looking screen to an OK white as I played with the settings. That could have been due to the store lights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that there are licencing issues that don't allow the Fire to be sold into Ireland.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3IRFCNF3E5K2W&cdThread=Tx1889TY1VYBUWV

Thanks for that TomOnBoard,i sent amazon a query by e-mail and got much the same reply, no mention of a date yet so i'll have to wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

had a look at argos carlow stock for paperwhite at 23:50, got all sad cos there were none in stock so had about half an hour looking online and soul searching to decide if I should get a normal kindle or wait a while and get the paperwhite when it's back in stock

tried to check stock for a different kindle at 00:20 but made a mistake and checked the paperwhite page.. 1 in stock. some poor bastard forgot to pick theirs up and it went back into rotation

it's mine now \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭3206jake

had a look at argos carlow stock for paperwhite at 23:50, got all sad cos there were none in stock so had about half an hour looking online and soul searching to decide if I should get a normal kindle or wait a while and get the paperwhite when it's back in stock

tried to check stock for a different kindle at 00:20 but made a mistake and checked the paperwhite page.. 1 in stock. some poor bastard forgot to pick theirs up and it went back into rotation

it's mine now \o/

Their is hope for the rest of us:D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Tesco have the paperwhite now.

writhen wrote: »
    Tesco have the paperwhite now.

What part of the Country ??
    No Tesco near me have them

3206jake wrote: »

I was in Tesco in Sligo on Thursday and they had them. They were sold out by the time I tried to get one though; which I was expecting to have happened. I still got my own hopes up :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

3206jake wrote: »

Got one in Navan.

Argos in Galway have 5+ left to Collect.

I got one in Argos Sligo yesterday,
    Argos seem to have got a good few in Today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 BL

Seems to be plenty available at various Argos stores, according to their website, which lets you check stock levels in any location.

Just reserved one in Dundrum!

folks, can ye give us a review of the Paperwhite as soon as ye get familiar with them, please?

BL wrote: »
    Seems to be plenty available at various Argos stores, according to their website, which lets you check stock levels in any location.

Just reserved one in Dundrum!

Just to advise that the one I got the other day in Argos Limerick certainly had a purplish / pinkish cast on the screen at higher brightness levels. As reported earlier on this thread, this is a known issue. However, I recommend that you persevere and leave the PW on for a good while (preferably because you will find it so excellent that you won't be able to put it away anyway :-)) The cast definitely lessens over time (but only when switched on, according to many posters on t'Internet)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You can easily check paperwhite stock in all Argos stores on checkargos.com

Regular: http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=501%2F1379
    3G: http://checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=501%2F1386

3G is totally out of stock, but regular is widely available.

folks, can ye give us a review of the Paperwhite as soon as ye get familiar with them, please?

See earlier posts regarding the pinkish/purplish cast. Otherwise brilliant. Although the battery does need charging more often that I would have expected.

Oh, and I recommend that you don't try to manage your PW directly; rather, I recommend that you use Calibre ( http://calibre-ebook.com/ ) library manager to manage your books.

Also, unless you travel abroad and want to get basic (almost non- functional) browser access to t'Internet, you really don't need to stump up for the 3G version. The vast majority of us have access to wi-fi or a USB- connected PC, thereby making the 3G link redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi,

I have the Kindle app on my Samsung Note and it's registered to my Amazon account.

When it came out I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite from the US for my wife for Xmas (have a sister in Boston who kindly ships .com purchases to me) and was going to register the Paperwhite to the same Amazon account I have for my Samsung Kindle App for 2 reasons:-

1. My wife hates online anything so if I set her up her own Amazon account it probably won't get used which means the Kindle probably won't get used.
    2. It would allow me to buy her presents of books and have them 'sent' to her kindle.

It's crossed my mind however that if I go ahead and register her kindle to my own account it might cause some problems namely:-

1. Will books sent to her kindle show up on my kindle phone app and visa versa?
    2. Do various kindles and kindle apps 'sync'? If so it would be very annoying. I could be reading X on my kindle phone app and she could be reading Y on her kindle but when we respectively log back in we could end up with the wrong books or starting at the wrong spots on each others books. (Not sure I've explained that very well)

Bottom line is I'd like to know, should I set up her kindle under my account or not? Should I register the Kindle as being located in Ireland, the UK or US? (I have valid addresses I can use in all three locations) Could there be a benefit in that all books purchased on that account could be available to both her kindle and my kindle phone app?

I'm new to kindles. Never thought it would be this complicated!! I have however, thanks to this thread, discovered Calibre. What an app!! I can se myself getting BIG use out of that!!

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I have a similar problem BenThere and end up managing the Kindles for the OH and 2 others. What I did was set up individual Kindle accounts for each person, which I manage FOR them - they are all linked to my account.

I maintain just one Calibre account for all three of us, with their books kept separate in separate Calibre libraries. None of us read the same types of books, so no problems really, although we can share books if we want which is an advantage. If I am 'reading' your question correctly, if your wife is reading a book on her own Kindle, it won't affect the same book you're reading on yours at all, although there is a synching option across devices that I haven't needed to use.

As for Calibre - it's the bee's knees and I couldn't manage without it. So many other options that I'm only just discovering after using it for more than a year :)

Thanks Teagwee,

Does that mean you have one Amazon account using (e.g.) teagwee@gmail.com and within that you have 3 kindles registered, one for yourself and 2 for other people?

Does that allow you to buy a book once and 'send' it to all three devices at the same time?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick entirely???

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks Teagwee,

Does that mean you have one Amazon account using (e.g.) teagwee@gmail.com and within that you have 3 kindles registered, one for yourself and 2 for other people?

Does that allow you to buy a book once and 'send' it to all three devices at the same time?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick entirely???

Ben

Not quite - I had to go online there to check what I'd actually done as my memory failed me :) Mine and OH's Kindle are on my Amazon account - the other 2 have their own Amazon accounts but all 4 of us are on the one Calibre account. AFAIK, you can register up to 6 Kindles on the one account and books are then interchangeable. Otherwise, you can operate a lending system for 14 days (I think) if people have their own separate Amazon (but linked) accounts.

I store everyone's books in different libraries on my Calibre, eg John's Library, Mary's library etc and store/send them the books as needed - this is more for my benefit as I don't want to be faffing about with 4 Calibre accounts as well as trying to manage their Amazon accounts too. I get requests to go online and buy them this or that book from time to time.

You can also get free books online or borrow books from public libraries but these generally have to be converted via Calibre to Mobi. It was a steep learning curve to start with but I manage fine now ;) Having them all in one Calibre account makes it easier for me to do this for my technophobe dependents.

I hope this makes some kind of sense ... In your case, with just you and OH on one Amazon account and one Calibre account it should be much less complicated.

• Advertisement

Thanks Teagwee, that's clarified it for me.

cheers,

Ben

Advertisement