Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

doovdela wrote: »
    I am between the Keyboard, Touch and the Paperwhite which Argos seem to be getting so might be looking to get it there despite them being more expensive than Tesco and getting club points in Tesco. I be ok only for the wifi signal isn't great where I am.

Is it worth getting a Kindle Paperwhite version?
    Amazon aren't selling the Keyboard any more (pity),not sure about other retailers.

As for wifi/3g, you can transfer books via usb cable if you have an internet connection on your pc. Drag and drop or use calibre library. Echo other points here about Calibre, it's a nifty program to have - I use mine to fetch newspaper content without forking out for subscription. Personally I don't think the 3g is worth the extra expense for the limited browsing/buying capabilities it gives.

I have the Paperwhite about a week now, love it so far. There are the reported shadows at the bottom of the screen in low light but tbh it doesn't really bother me. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hitchens wrote: »
    Paperwhite is €129 in Argos. How much are Tesco selling at?

They only have the paperwhite wifi and touch wifi at the moment in Tesco. I've asked them in store and head office they stated they may or may not get in the 3G's in at all and currently don't have any 3G versions stocked in any of the stores. So its unlikely they ever get them again unless they get the newly released Paperwhite 3G. Can't remember what they selling the wifi version of paperwhite roughly same price I think or not much of a difference in price as far as I can remember.

No sign that they might get them in by Tesco though. Argos seem to be the first in Ireland to stock Paperwhite 3G.

€129? is that the wifi or the 3G version the 3G version in Argos is over €200.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Amazon aren't selling the Keyboard any more (pity),not sure about other retailers.

As for wifi/3g, you can transfer books via usb cable if you have an internet connection on your pc. Drag and drop or use calibre library. Echo other points here about Calibre, it's a nifty program to have - I use mine to fetch newspaper content without forking out for subscription. Personally I don't think the 3g is worth the extra expense for the limited browsing/buying capabilities it gives.

I have the Paperwhite about a week now, love it so far. There are the reported shadows at the bottom of the screen in low light but tbh it doesn't really bother me. YMMV.

Oh right cool. I wasn't sure if it do that transferring books like that unless it had a USB connection. Oh no, are they not getting the Keyboard 3G again either by Tesco/Amazon? Not sure if Argos still get them they out of stock at the moment at argos.

Oh right. I'd have a think about it. Just often travel to places that have poor mobile/internet signals.

Oh right cool. I wasn't sure if it do that transferring books like that unless it had a USB connection. Oh no, are they not getting the Keyboard 3G again either by Tesco/Amazon? Not sure if Argos still get them they out of stock at the moment at argos.

Oh right. I'd have a think about it. Just often travel to places that have poor mobile/internet signals.
    Just checked Amazon.com. Turns out they still do have them in stock but for US only - not available for intl shipment. Got confused because I got my kindle from the UK store - where Keyboards aren't available.

As for poor signals the best way is to preload the device before travelling. You get approx 1000 books on a 2gb device, should keep you going! Having 3g/wifi switched off also makes a difference to battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

€129? is that the wifi or the 3G version the 3G version in Argos is over €200.

€129 is the wi-fi only version, €219 is the wi-fi plus 3g version (Argos)

Just checked Amazon.com. Turns out they still do have them in stock but for US only - not available for intl shipment. Got confused because I got my kindle from the UK store - where Keyboards aren't available.

As for poor signals the best way is to preload the device before travelling. You get approx 1000 books on a 2gb device, should keep you going! Having 3g/wifi switched off also makes a difference to battery life

Oh right ya. Just that where I live has poor internet signal sometimes in particular wifi I always end up with 2G or 3G on my broadband and phone. Wifi can be hit and miss where I am though it work sometimes and not work other times, and break down.

• Advertisement

to whom it may concern:

there is a new firmware update - v5.3.2 - available for the Kindle Touch which effectively turns the device into a Paperwhite but without the backlighting of course.

download here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200841340

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have the Kindle Fire and while I really like it, there's definitely a few things I would change.

The one that bugs me the most is the inability to organise books into categories.

Obviously it's annoying not having a market but I've worked around that and it's a kindle, it's for reading. The fact it doubles as a tablet is just a bonus but isn't it's primary function for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

to whom it may concern:

there is a new firmware update - v5.3.2 - available for the Kindle Touch which effectively turns the device into a Paperwhite but without the backlighting of course.

download here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200841340

I have no idea why, but this makes me nervous. I must be getting old. Have you done the update yet? Is it exciting and worthwhile?

Thoie wrote: »
    Have you done the update yet? Is it exciting and worthwhile?

yes and yes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi, I just got a kindle paperwhite yesterday and have downloaded 2 books so far but every so often - like every half hour or so - it keeps randomly rebooting/restarting which I'm reading - anybody know what the problem could be?? It's really frustrating when I've just bought it!!

do you have a cover with a magnet on it ? Mine keeps going to standby while i am reading because of my cover so annoying have to take it off to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

lil_tuts wrote: »
    do you have a cover with a magnet on it ? Mine keeps going to standby while i am reading because of my cover so annoying have to take it off to read.

No i had literally just got it and it started acting up - I hadn't even bought a cover for it! I took it back to Argos anyway and got a replacement and it's been fine since so all's good again:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Oh right ya. Just that where I live has poor internet signal sometimes in particular wifi I always end up with 2G or 3G on my broadband and phone. Wifi can be hit and miss where I am though it work sometimes and not work other times, and break down.
    Do you really mean Wifi? If that is not working in your house then get a techy friend round to fix your router for you.

3g - mobile phone data signal, will be good in built up areas, poor when you are in the middle of know where
    Wifi - the wireless data signal that comes from the broadband router in your house and only has a range of tens of meters from where you placed the router.

to whom it may concern:

And the capacitive touch screen.

The Touch uses a less responsive infrared touchscreen.

And the capacitive touch screen.

The Touch uses a less responsive infrared touchscreen.

Very true ............"I was goin' to mention that, first chance I got" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sorry if this question has been answered but there are 47 pages to sift through.

If I buy a paperwhite in the states, is there any issue buying books and using it over here. I have an amazon uk account so I'd be buying from there (if it let me) so should I buy one when I'm over there?

I know I'll need an adapter for charging but that won't be a problem

Sorry if this question has been answered but there are 47 pages to sift through.

If I buy a paperwhite in the states, is there any issue buying books and using it over here. I have an amazon uk account so I'd be buying from there (if it let me) so should I buy one when I'm over there?

I know I'll need an adapter for charging but that won't be a problem

If your credit card is registered to an address in Ireland it will force you to shop for Kindle books from the US site. I've ended up with a US and a UK account - US for Kindle books, and UK for everything else. There's no problem bringing the US device here, and the chargers are USB cables, so you can just get a UK USB plug and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Is it better to buy a Kindle on UK Amazon? It's telling me I have to get it through .com site cos I'm in Ireland but if I use a Parcel Motel address I'll be able to order it through .co.uk afaik. So is it better to get it through that or US one?

For some reason I cannot order from the US Amazon so don't know so might have to look into Argos rather than Tesco as they don't have the kindle I am looking for at the moment.

For some reason I cannot order from the US Amazon so don't know so might have to look into Argos rather than Tesco as they don't have the kindle I am looking for at the moment.

go to the argos.ie website and type in paperwhite in the search box, you will then have the option of checking your preferred argos shop(s) to see if it's in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

thebuzz wrote: »
    Is it better to buy a Kindle on UK Amazon? It's telling me I have to get it through .com site cos I'm in Ireland but if I use a Parcel Motel address I'll be able to order it through .co.uk afaik. So is it better to get it through that or US one?
    Anyone?

Are books different on US Amazon as opposed to UK one or is it the same selection on both?

• Advertisement

Anyone?

Are books different on US Amazon as opposed to UK one or is it the same selection on both?

It doesn't matter where you buy the kindle from, what matters is the registered address of your credit card that you're using for buying books. Mine is registered to my Irish address, so Amazon forces me into buying books from the .com site.

Most of the time it makes no difference in book choices, but there's the odd book of Irish/British interest that's available on the .co.uk site that's not available on .com

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've used Nookibooks. They do 50% off Kindle books. I bought a book for just under €4 that would have been €12 through Amazon.com

Came less than 24 hours later to my e-mail address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

Why not buy it in Currys ?? I got my Paper white from there, you are still going to have to use amazon.com to download your books even if you buy in store in Ireland

Bought the Paperwhite on Wednesday in Argos €129.

I love the light feature, but not sure yet how it impacts on time interval between battery charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Just download books for free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I'm probably posting in wrong place, but it now seems possible to register with Amazon.co.uk and purchase books from them. I wonder therefore if it is possible to get the Kindle Fire here and not have to jump through hoops to register and get your books. I got notification from Amazon.com and just tried to purchase from UK site and would have had no problem but I just didnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

kildaremum wrote: »
    I'm probably posting in wrong place, but it now seems possible to register with Amazon.co.uk and purchase books from them. I wonder therefore if it is possible to get the Kindle Fire here and not have to jump through hoops to register and get your books. I got notification from Amazon.com and just tried to purchase from UK site and would have had no problem but I just didnt bother.

Yes you are the right place. I saw that too. I don’t know about the Kindle Fire though.

Does it make more financial sense to buy books of Amazon.com or .co.uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

kildaremum wrote: »

Yes you are the right place. I saw that too. I don’t know about the Kindle Fire though.

I did a quick test and:
    Bring up the Bodies on the .com store is USD12.06=EUR9.31640
    Bring up the Bodies on the .co.uk store is USD9.99=EUR10.95

It seems like it makes more financial sense to buy books of Amazon.com rather than .co.uk.

Anyone else experience similar discrepancies?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

silvine wrote: »

I did a quick test and:

It seems like it makes more financial sense to buy books of Amazon.com rather than .co.uk.

Also, if you change to .co.uk are you then able to change back to .com?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

silvine wrote: »

I did a quick test and:

Well, it makes more financial sense to buy that particular book from the .com site right now (although probably not worth it if you're the type that gets annoyed by american spelling), can't comment on every book, but it's amazon so prices will fluctuate constantly - a price that's better on the US site today could be reversed tomorrow.

Advertisement