Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I hadn't thought about the spelling; that's a good point though. I'm interested to hear about other people's experience's between the two stores. I haven' t bought a book yet from the .co.uk. I tried this morning and it said:
    Your Kindle account is currently registered at Amazon.com. Please transfer your Kindle account to Amazon.co.uk before completing your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

silvine wrote: »
    I hadn't thought about the spelling; that's a good point though. I'm interested to hear about other people's experience's between the two stores. I haven' t bought a book yet from the .co.uk. I tried this morning and it said:

If you want to register to buy books on the .co.uk site, you need to go into the .com site settings and change your address to a UK/NI billing address. Once you do that, you should get a prompt inviting you to go to the .co.uk site.

You can then chop and change between the two by changing the billing address. You don't need separate accounts/credit card details.

Some posters have experienced problems after a few purchases on the .co.uk site, where they have received an e-mail asking for proof of address. I haven't, but I do purchase occasional items, maybe once a year and have them delivered to the physical uk address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

juke wrote: »
    If you want to register to buy books on the .co.uk site, you need to go into the .com site settings and change your address to a UK/NI billing address. Once you do that, you should get a prompt inviting you to go to the .co.uk site.

You can then chop and change between the two by changing the billing address. You don't need separate accounts/credit card details.

Some posters have experienced problems after a few purchases on the .co.uk site, where they have received an e-mail asking for proof of address. I haven't, but I do purchase occasional items, maybe once a year and have them delivered to the physical uk address.

Not necessary anymore for books. Amazon are offering to let you switch to the .co.uk site without a UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Not necessary anymore for books. Amazon are offering to let you switch to the .co.uk site without a UK address.

Interesting - so is this a one way process - i.e. once you move does it mean you can't purchase ebooks on the us kindle site any longer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 rookav

...although probably not worth it if you're the type that gets annoyed by american spelling...

I wondered about this before I bought my kindle from amazon.com and actually I can't say that I've noticed any books I've bought having american spelling. If you have an Irish address it may just default (some, not necessarily all) to UK English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Interesting - so is this a one way process - i.e. once you move does it mean you can't purchase ebooks on the us kindle site any longer ?

I was wondering the same thing. When I initially got my Kindle I was outraged, outraged! that I couldn't shop from .co.uk like I always did.

Since then I've become very accustomed to all my free books through onehundredfreebooks.com

There is a UK equivalent (eldink.co.uk), but I'm not willing to lock myself out of the US yet.

I tried an experiment on the hardware (kindles themselves) from my amazon.co.uk site yesterday - looks like they can be bought directly from the uk website now

Anyways - I've posted that info on a separate thread - as it probably relates to new users rather than any kindle diehards that read this thread

Good news though all the same

Its a shame that amazon don't simply explain whatever it is they are doing here with ebooks and ereaders to people with Irish addresses/credit card - theres obviously and end game here - and all it would take is a targeted email to their irish customers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

My Kindle has completely frozen. Nothing works and Kindle won't replace it as it's 1.5 years old. :(

Is there anyone in Dublin/Cork who could crack it open and fix it?? It's going in the bin otherwise so don't mind if they break it. Worth a shot.

Don't like the news ones so really hope my Kindle Keyboard can be fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

dory wrote: »
    My Kindle has completely frozen. Nothing works and Kindle won't replace it as it's 1.5 years old. :(

Is there anyone in Dublin/Cork who could crack it open and fix it?? It's going in the bin otherwise so don't mind if they break it. Worth a shot.

Don't like the news ones so really hope my Kindle Keyboard can be fixed!

If its bricked completely, then it probably uneconomic to repair, as used Kindles are available for about the £60 mark on eBay. That said, Ks for spares/ repair are asking up to 30.

Unless you're looking for a freebie or hobby repair, you're not going to get much done with it for less than €30-50 and even more once someone gets their hooks in. Perhaps try the local mobile phone repair shop, usually staffed by excellent Chinese techs, who will be able to at least check if its alive at all.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    If its bricked completely, then it probably uneconomic to repair, as used Kindles are available for about the £60 mark on eBay. That said, Ks for spares/ repair are asking up to 30.

Unless you're looking for a freebie or hobby repair, you're not going to get much done with it for less than €30-50 and even more once someone gets their hooks in. Perhaps try the local mobile phone repair shop, usually staffed by excellent Chinese techs, who will be able to at least check if its alive at all.

When you say nothing works - have you tried a soft and a hard reset of the Kindle? When you plug in power do you see the amber/green light going on at the bottom ? - I'm assuming its a kindle 3 if its a year and a half old.

When resetting using a soft reset (holding the slider button - make sure you hold it for about 60 seconds before you give up hope - not the 20 seconds alot of places say.

Instructions on hard reset below

http://www.dib0.nl/code/315-how-to-reset-you-kindle-3-even-if-the-slide-doesnt-work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭shockframe

Having owned a kindle before that I want to replace I was wondering if it is worth going for the kindle paperwhite.tesco are selling them for €139 and are selling the normal non toucscreen kindle for €82. is it worth making the leap from the normal kindle to the paperwhite?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Yes. It's more durable and it's faster. The light is pretty good, if a little uneven. Sell the old one online. You'll get a new warranty with the new one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

shockframe wrote: »
    Having owned a kindle before that I want to replace I was wondering if it is worth going for the kindle paperwhite.tesco are selling them for €139 and are selling the normal non toucscreen kindle for €82. is it worth making the leap from the normal kindle to the paperwhite?

You can get them cheaper from Amazon UK now (they deliver for free) http://www.moneyguideireland.com/no-kindle-fire-for-ireland-yet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DanTheCorkMan

Kindle fire now working in Ireland-finallly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Hi DanTheCorkMan - how is it working in Ireland. The message "This device is not available to ship to your location" comes up on Amazon.co.uk site if you try to buy Kindle Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DanTheCorkMan

Hi Kildaremum, I bought mine (Kindle fire, not HD) in UK last Dec and could only read books and watch movie trailers until a couple of days ago. Now it is fully functioning-downloaded loads of apps (except Skype!) and all functions are working. I guess they sorted out some licensing issues? Not complaining-was about to replace it with another device so timing could not be better. Re shipping, not sure really....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi

Just wondering does the paperwhite come with a usb to charge it off your computer if you dont own an adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hi

Just wondering does the paperwhite come with a usb to charge it off your computer if you dont own an adaptor?

It does.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Hi Kildaremum, I bought mine (Kindle fire, not HD) in UK last Dec and could only read books and watch movie trailers until a couple of days ago. Now it is fully functioning-downloaded loads of apps (except Skype!) and all functions are working. I guess they sorted out some licensing issues? Not complaining-was about to replace it with another device so timing could not be better. Re shipping, not sure really....

I have the kindle Fire HD and can confirm that you can now buy app for it:D

Its about time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How come amazon still won't ship the kindle fire to ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How come amazon still won't ship the kindle fire to ireland?

I don't know. Two words for you though, Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Do you have a UK billing address that you use for Kindle apps? Do you have to have a UK credit/debit card too ? Amazon site says that the billing address must be uk . How did you get round it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Whats wrong with skype?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

An update is out for the Kindle Fire. You now have the option to show the battery percentage in the status bar. You can find the option in device. It's a small change but a very useful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Also, if you change to .co.uk are you then able to change back to .com?

You have probably worked this out ages ago, but I only tried today. First time in ages I've come across a book cheaper on the .com site than the .co.uk site - no problem at all swopping between the two and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

juke wrote: »
    You have probably worked this out ages ago, but I only tried today. First time in ages I've come across a book cheaper on the .com site than the .co.uk site - no problem at all swopping between the two and back again.

So you can definitely switch back and forth between a US account and a UK one? Great news.

Has anyone else noticed that the Kindle Daily Deals on the US site are now virtually all showing up as 'not available for purchase' when you click through on them? Is this an attempt to push Irish users onto the UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cailinfionn

Hi
    New to boards.ie and on phone so can't find info I'm looking for, so apologies if already been asked! My hubby got me a kindle two Christmases ago, & I'm embarrassed to say it's only now I'm getting around to using it! (small kids..!!!)
    I think it's the most basic kindle, just wondering is it possible to download games to play on it? What is the best site / selection of free books to download? There doesn't seem to be a light on it, would that be right or am I using it wrong? Thanks a million for all advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

Hi
    New to boards.ie and on phone so can't find info I'm looking for, so apologies if already been asked! My hubby got me a kindle two Christmases ago, & I'm embarrassed to say it's only now I'm getting around to using it! (small kids..!!!)
    I think it's the most basic kindle, just wondering is it possible to download games to play on it? What is the best site / selection of free books to download? There doesn't seem to be a light on it, would that be right or am I using it wrong? Thanks a million for all advice! :)

Really depends on the type of Kindle that you have. If it is a Kindle Fire, you can consider it a tablet and play android games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cailinfionn

Thanks for reply alphagirl. It's the most basic so no games for me!!! Downloaded a few free books off kindle store. Went onto onehundredfreebooks but cannot download any book as when I went to open/select a book I kept getting a message telling me I could not open multiple tabs.... Should I be able to download books off this site? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

Not sure about that. I opened the site and when I went to a book it directed me to the Amazon page relative to the book and, as you have already downloaded from there it should be plain sailing.
    Here is another site that I keep an eye on ereaderlove.com. Again, lists the books but directs you to amazon.
    If the 'too many open tabs' issue continues, it may be the kindle itself. The good old 'power it off and then back on again' is always useful in this scenario!!!!

Advertisement