Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 from little acorns

Where would be the best place to buy a Kindle at the moment - are they on offer anywhere right now? Either in Dublin or online. I'm looking for the most basic model, no touchscreen etc. Appreciate any suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think I saw some bargains on amazon in advance of Monday. ... not terribly up on the normal prices so I could be mistaken but they seemed cheap to me. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya black friday was on Friday might still be available for weekend and in some other shops and online like Harvey Norman, amazon, rakuten.com. They often do special offers. PC world can be pricey, Tesco sometimes have them in stock and argos is a good place to go to get the basic kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Just got my Kindle paperwhite today, and I want to start organising my book on it.
    I cannot see an option to sort by (original) publication date. So, my book are not showing in the order the author wrote them in.

Had a look at Calibre, but cannot see any option to change sort order?

Appreciate any suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just got my Kindle paperwhite today, and I want to start organising my book on it.
    I cannot see an option to sort by (original) publication date. So, my book are not showing in the order the author wrote them in.

Had a look at Calibre, but cannot see any option to change sort order?

Appreciate any suggestions

Not sure that is possible. How would your kindle know what the original publication date is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

syklops wrote: »
    Not sure that is possible. How would your kindle know what the original publication date is?

I wonder if the title is changed in calibre to include a number sequence, would the kindle recognise that?

I wonder if the title is changed in calibre to include a number sequence, would the kindle recognise that?

Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi I got a present if a kindle today ðŸ˜႒
    Only downside is that I don't have a pc at home so I've just realised I xant charge it. I know that I can buy the kindle plug but Im wondering if I can use my iPhone plug to connect to kindle wire and so charge the kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alfagirl

Yep, you can use it but I found that the Kindle Plug is the fastest recharger (faster that the computer, tho' I was using a MacBook) and worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I always charge mine in the wall using my Sony and HTC wall chargers. It's way too slow to charge in the laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i just us any usb charger, certainly wouldnt buy a specific kindle one. My wall charger charges two things at once, so can pop in phone and kindle.

I just got a paperwhite, through 3 books already, loving it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

To me, a backlit kindle goes against the point of e-Ink. Just my 2 cents.

We have just started to get the general population over the "I couldnt read off a screen" thinking, and they go and do this.

It's not backlit... Granted, if people still think it is, then it definitely is a failing of Amazon, but there should be no complaints of eye strain from reading from a Kindle. The light doesn't shine into your eyes from behind the screen, it shines onto the screen from in front of it. The end result is that reading from a Kindle with it's light on is no different on the eyes to reading a paper book with a book light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Does anyone know if this Kindle has ads or not? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5011317/Trail/searchtext%3EKINDLE.htm

I'm new to e-readers and just browsing around sites and I'm seeing 'ad-supported' cheaper versions listed ('with/without special offers' on Amazon), the Argos page doesn't offer much info beyond saying it is a Kindle wi-fi that is now discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Ageyev wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this Kindle has ads or not? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5011317/Trail/searchtext%3EKINDLE.htm

I'm new to e-readers and just browsing around sites and I'm seeing 'ad-supported' cheaper versions listed ('with/without special offers' on Amazon), the Argos page doesn't offer much info beyond saying it is a Kindle wi-fi that is now discontinued.

I think Kindles with SOs are only available through Amazon themselves. Either way the ads only appear when it's in sleep mode and at the bottom of the home screen. It NEVER interrupts you while your reading a book.

Thanks Brian.

Ads are a dealbreaker for me no matter what mode it is in.

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I was just wondering if anyone has configured their kindle to receive RSS feeds? If you did, how'd you go about doing it?

This is the model of Kindle I've got.
    61212QerGkL.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hope I'm posting in the right thread here so apologies mods if I'm not.

Have a 3g Kindle that I sat on while on holidays.Its the keyboard one with the free 3g which great while abroad (even if the browser is a bit slow) and its a huge loss not having the free 3g.

Does anyone know anywhere I can get the screen replaced on this.
    Cant seem to find anyone that will replace a screen for me.

Really appreciate any help with this one.I don't want to buy another one as none of them come with the free 3g now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Hellrazer wrote: »

Have a 3g Kindle that I sat on while on holidays.Its the keyboard one with the free 3g which great while abroad (even if the browser is a bit slow) and its a huge loss not having the free 3g.

Really appreciate any help with this one.I don't want to buy another one as none of them come with the free 3g now.

I think you can still buy kindle with free 3G.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QJDO0QC/ref=kin_comp_dk_kp_img

Hellrazer wrote: »

I've replaced screens on a number of kindles, including my own. PM me if you want, but Im flying to the US on Wednesday, back on Monday if you are not in a massive hurry....

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

I read much of the day for work (PhD) and I'm looking to get away from doing this on my laptop. It takes a toll on my eyes.

I read a lot from .pdf but also from some .epub, which I know aren't supported by Kindle. I don't think I'd use the Kindle store much, as I already have access to the books or essays I'm reading. I presume it's easy to transfer your files from computer onto Kindle devices.

Does Kindle sound like the thing I'm looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

You can convert epub to mobi files, which are supported on the kindle. And you can use a application like calibre to manage the files, all very easily.

I would say that it is what you are looking for - but pop into Currys and try one out for yourself - or have a look at some reviews online.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lightgrey

I'm contemplating picking up the below Kindle as a gift. Should I be concerned about screen damage or anything like that when shipping? Just wondering if I'm able to check out the Kindle to make everything is okay before giving it as a gift, nothing worse than receiving something that isn't 100%!

Can't post links but it's the "Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi" - amazon.co.uk/All-New-Kindle-Paperwhite-Resolution-Display/dp/B00QJDO0QC/

lightgrey wrote: »
    I'm contemplating picking up the below Kindle as a gift. Should I be concerned about screen damage or anything like that when shipping? Just wondering if I'm able to check out the Kindle to make everything is okay before giving it as a gift, nothing worse than receiving something that isn't 100%!

Can't post links but it's the "Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi" - amazon.co.uk/All-New-Kindle-Paperwhite-Resolution-Display/dp/B00QJDO0QC/

Amaon would lose a lot of money if the screen in every 1 out of a hundred kindles shipped was damaged in transit. The box is there fore designed to protect it. I've not ordered a hundred but in the 8 or 9 I have ordered, I've never had a damaged screen.

nialljf wrote: »
    I read much of the day for work (PhD) and I'm looking to get away from doing this on my laptop. It takes a toll on my eyes.

I read a lot from .pdf but also from some .epub, which I know aren't supported by Kindle. I don't think I'd use the Kindle store much, as I already have access to the books or essays I'm reading. I presume it's easy to transfer your files from computer onto Kindle devices.

Does Kindle sound like the thing I'm looking for?

This is second hand info but I've heard that Sony e-readers are great for reading PDFs. I have a Barnes & Noble Nook which reads Epub and PDFs but the PDFs don't render properly - the font changes each page sometimes, it's a mess. Great for EPUBs though.

In theory it is possible to manually convert PDFs to EPUB using Calibre but it would be very time consuming and not worth the hassle. Calibre's auto conversion for PDF doesn't work.

If you had a Kindle you would have to convert the EPUB files to mobi/.azw for Kindle with Calibre. There could also be DRM issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lightgrey

Amaon would lose a lot of money if the screen in every 1 out of a hundred kindles shipped was damaged in transit. The box is there fore designed to protect it. I've not ordered a hundred but in the 8 or 9 I have ordered, I've never had a damaged screen.

Thanks. And there's quite a jump in price between the Paperwhite version and the Voyage version, justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭thebiglad

lightgrey wrote: »
    Thanks. And there's quite a jump in price between the Paperwhite version and the Voyage version, justified?

I had the paperwhite and 'upgraded' to Voyage - whilst I would not be without a kindle the Voyage is definitely not worth the extra as far as I am concerned.

If money is no issue then go with the slightly better looking Voyage but not for performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The new voyage is due some time this month, so could be worth holding off for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi folks,

Thinking of finally buying a kindle.

Can anyone advise on which type to buy? Basic, Paperwhite or Voyage?

Do I need 3G on it? What advantages does this bring? Are the more expensive models worth it?

I could read amazon's blurb, but I'd really prefer to hear real people's experiences.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hi folks,

Thinking of finally buying a kindle.

Can anyone advise on which type to buy? Basic, Paperwhite or Voyage?

Do I need 3G on it? What advantages does this bring? Are the more expensive models worth it?

I could read amazon's blurb, but I'd really prefer to hear real people's experiences.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Depends on what you want really. The current voyage does not justify the difference in price to the paperwhite. The paperwhite recently got an update an it is not far off the voyage. The voyage is due an update this month, so that might changes things if the update materialises.

Do you read in bed at night or in dim rooms? If so then the paperwhite/voyage are definitely worth it over the basic.

3G is not worth it imo, i've had 3G on my current kindle and I don't think I've used it yet. But it depends on your use case. I always have a stack of books on my kindle that I want to read, so I am never short of material. 3G would be handy if you travel a lot and suddenly have nothing to read, otherwise it is not worth it. You will have it turned off most of the time any way to save battery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Always have more than enough pre loaded onto mine via wifi before going anywhere that the 3G is almost certainly not worth the cost. I can't think of a situation where you'd be out of wifi access for so long that you have read everything, but have not been able to log onto the hotel wifi if needed in the mean time. If you are somewhere that remote then you'll probably not be able to get 3g access anyway.

Advertisement